PDA

View Full Version : Y Axis stall Error 299

flyingemt
12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I have cleaned the rails per display instruction, lubed the drive cable, and I am still getting this error. Also, noting that when going into the stop/error mode, it cuts a path towards the display side outside of the pattern region.

Any thoughts?? I really need to get up and running stat!! Very limited on time.

Flying.......

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I have cleaned the rails per display instruction, lubed the drive cable, and I am still getting this error. Also, noting that when going into the stop/error mode, it cuts a path towards the display side outside of the pattern region.

Any thoughts?? I really need to get up and running stat!! Very limited on time.

Flying.......

Are you using the QC chuck or the rock? It sounds like your bit is set too low and/or a very dull bit.

Doug Fletcher

flyingemt
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I thought about the bit, changed it too, still have the original chuck that came with the machine. I am only carving at .250 depth.

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I thought about the bit, changed it too, still have the original chuck that came with the machine. I am only carving at .250 depth.

Do you know if the z is drifting at all? The Y axis the axis perpendicular to the sandpaper belts. If the z is drifting down, that could explain the stall as well as the carve outside your pattern becuase the machine thinks the z is higher than it actually is.

I think i remember seeing a post from ken saying a good troubleshooting tip is just to carve a 6x6 square region on a board.. then you can check to make sure the carve region is level in both x,y, and z directions. if an anomaly shows up in the rgions, then it might give hints of where to look next.

Doug Fletcher

hray
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
does the z truck move smothly left to right with power off colud have a bad bearing that caused those simtoms on my cc i had to replace the y bearings on my cc

flyingemt
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
It does move fairly smooth. I looked at my second bit, it did have a discolored tip. Thinking bit could be the whole prob? Would anyone suggest replacing the rail bearings anyway? If I am going to order new bits, it might as well all come at once.........

bjwisdom
12-28-2009, 04:57 PM
So what happened with this? I am having the same problem. y-axis stall 299 at about 10% with a straight line from the carving to the edge of the board on the panel side. I have done everything anyone has recommended with no luck. Folks at carvewright support just told me to check for dust in the encoder....which there was none.

jab73180
12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
is the encoder warped, touching the magnet. and check the FFC cable for rips and make sure it is seated at both ends.

chkorte
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Well after about 5 days of cleaning my CW and running calibations and trying to carve a project and reading everything I could find on the CW Forum about a "Y axis stall error 299" I finally broke down and called a CW support tech. After about an hour on the phone with him we found the cause of my "Y axis stall error 299". The flex shaft cable was broken about an inch from the motor. The pressure on the cable was allowing the bit to spin until it hit wood. Well I now have a new one on the way. Not particularly happy that it happened with only 25 hours on a new machine and it's not a part covered by the warranty. I lubed the cable before I ever used it and have been using the RC from the beginning. I guess that if it's going to break it's just going to break. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the new one.

mtylerfl
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
The flex shaft cable was broken about an inch from the motor. The pressure on the cable was allowing the bit to spin until it hit wood. Well I now have a new one on the way. Not particularly happy that it happened with only 25 hours on a new machine and it's not a part covered by the warranty. I lubed the cable before I ever used it and have been using the RC from the beginning. I guess that if it's going to break it's just going to break. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the new one.

Wow, I've never heard of a broken flex shaft cable - didn't even realize that was possible. Sorry you had the trouble. I'll bet you'll be just fine with the new one. I think a broken cable must be pretty rare indeed.

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I have replaced a few and still have one in spare parts for a quick fix...

Saw them fail at Sony... They are a thin copper strip and yes flex it enough times and it will crack the trace and only intermittently fail driving you nuts until you find it....

The last machine I bought had a bad FSC cable... Frustrated the guy so bad he sold it.... He spent too much time talking to the LHR Tech and gave up in frustration... No longer having the will to mess with a CW.... SAD...:(

AL

dbfletcher
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I have replaced a few and still have one in spare parts for a quick fix...

Saw them fail at Sony... They are a thin copper strip and yes flex it enough times and it will crack the trace and only intermittently fail driving you nuts until you find it....

The last machine I bought had a bad FSC cable... Frustrated the guy so bad he sold it.... He spent too much time talking to the LHR Tech and gave up in frustration... No longer having the will to mess with a CW.... SAD...:(

AL

I'm pretty sure both the OP and Michael were referring to the flex shaft and not on of the flexible ribbon cables for electronics.

Doug Fletcher