PDA

View Full Version : "O" ring

Eagle Hollow
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
At 583 hours-59 minutes servoing time, the "O" ring slipped out of it's groove on the board tracker. A project on a 48" board measured 41.30" twice. I ran a measurement test and it showed 47.899". OK, good. Ran project again and got a 42.10 reading. Then I found the "O" ring out of it's groove. Broke it taking it off. Put a new one in the groove, got bad measurements again and found the O ring pushed back out of it's groove. This happen two more times. I've read threads until my eyeballs are doing tricks in their sockets and my headache is approaching nuclear fission status. HELP!! I'm lost!!

cnsranch
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
With 584 hours, I know you know what you're doing....but there must be a board tracking issue - is there a chance that you have some kind of imperfection on the underside of the board along the roller side causing the o ring to roll??

Does the roller appear to be solid - can you wiggle it? You do have the o ring on the keypad side of the roller, right? (sorry for the stupid questions).

AskBud
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Beside the possible imperfection on the board, here are some other thing that may affect the o-ring.
1) make sure the sanppaper belt is not rolled and coming closer to the o-ring.
2) When placing boards in the machine, do not drag the board toward the keypad. Instead, lift the board and gently place it in position. Draging will roll the o-ring out of the groove.
AskBud

Eagle Hollow
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks fellas. I know the "O" ring is the right place. I will try all the other suggestions.

Jerry

AskBud
12-01-2009, 06:28 PM
We understan that the o-ring is in the proper place as you begin.
What we are pointing out, are things that may force the o-ring to be moved out of place.
AskBud

rjustice
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks fellas. I know the "O" ring is the right place. I will try all the other suggestions.

Jerry

Jerry,
While this solution will not tell you why it is happening, (which i think is important), it will get you out of a bind if you are in an "emergency" mode and need to make a damaged, stubborn O-ring work. You can put a drop of super glue on a sewing needle, or something like that, and put a tiny ring of glue inside the groove of the roller, then carefully seat the oring into it. Be cautious to not get the glue on the exposed side of the O-ring that causes the roller to grip the board. It would likely make is slippery and defeat the purpose. This worked for me and i havent had a problem with it since.

Hope this can help you out.

Ron

Azbear
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Are the side rail screws tight? I had taken my rail off trying to find resolve to tracking errors. I put the screws back in and forgot to snug them up. My board moved during measuring.

Just throwing it out there.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Eagle Hollow;113423]At 583 hours-59 minutes servoing time, the "O" ring slipped out of it's groove on the board tracker. A project on a 48" board measured 41.30" twice. I ran a measurement test and it showed 47.899". OK, good. Ran project again and got a 42.10 reading. Then I found the "O" ring out of it's groove. Broke it taking it off. Put a new one in the groove, got bad measurements again and found the O ring pushed back out of it's groove. This happen two more times. I've read threads until my eyeballs are doing tricks in their sockets and my headache is approaching nuclear fission status. HELP!! I'm lost!!

Did you install the required spacer shims (washers) under tracking assembly & alignment plate when you changed to the new k-belts? Also..............

I had a similar problem after having new k-belts installed @ LHR. Seems that there is a mechanical snubber (looks like a small piece of fuel line), required under the alignment plate and on top of tracking assembly bearing pedestal. It appears to provide some sort of pivot stabilization for the tracking assembly. After a closer inspection I found the snubber lying on the bottom of the machine. After re-installing the snubber every thing worked fine. Hope this provides some help.

Eagle Hollow
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, I checked the CC out thoroughly and found nothing wrong. Ran the length measuring test and got a perfect result. Ran the project and the "O" ring pushed out of the notch again. Replaced the board (which had masking tape on the bottom at the tracking sensor) with another (with no masking tape) and the project ran and completed perfectly. I'm just not sure what was causing the problem. Both boards are straight with perfect edges. I've always used masking tape on the project board. Hmmm?

Jerry