PDA

View Full Version : Info on the MPC file format

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Anybody have any info about the MPC file format? I think I may try to write a program that write and MPC to solve a problem I can't figure out otherwise.

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Anybody have any info about the MPC file format? I think I may try to write a program that write and MPC to solve a problem I can't figure out otherwise.

Hello,

I don't understand what the problem is. What kind of info do you need about a project file (mpc) and why?

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 01:47 PM

You could try to find the original author of ai2mpc (Jeff Litz). Here is his email from the readme file. I have no idea if it is still active. But if he was willing to share his source code, I would think that would be a great start.

jeff.litz.cw at gmail.com (edited to help prevent email harvesting)

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
The MPC file type is primarily associated with 'Collectorz.com MP3 Collector' by Collectorz.com.
AskBud
http://filext.com/file-extension/MPC

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Bud, that's a completely different format, it just shares the extension.

dbf, I did email him a couple days ago. No word yet, but he may get back to me. I also asked LHR, but I'm not sure if I'll get any response from that.

mtylerfl, I am trying to cut a path that is straight in xy, but arched/curved in z. I am trying to cut a guide for sawing fret slots for a guitar with a v-bit, or maybe using this (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/fret-cutter.asp) to actually cut them. I will be doing it on a compound radius, so each one will have a different curve. If you know of a way to do this with current tools, I'm all ears.

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
mtylerfl, I am trying to cut a path that is straight in xy, but arched/curved in z. I am trying to cut a guide for sawing fret slots for a guitar with a v-bit, or maybe using this (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/fret-cutter.asp) to actually cut them. I will be doing it on a compound radius, so each one will have a different curve. If you know of a way to do this with current tools, I'm all ears.

I do not know of a way to do that. I suppose one could make a line at the appropriate arch in a CAD program and import it as a greyscale with the Z of the arch facing straight up, but that wouldn't make a clean cut because it would be a raster carve...not so good for nice, clean, thin fret grooves, of course. A vector would make more sense, I think.

That is a very interesting challenge. I wonder if the programmers at CarveWright ever thought of that particular use...a specifically arched, modulating depth of a vector. Very interesting!!

There are a lot of folks here - some of 'em pretty "brainy" and might come up with a method that hasn't occurred to either one of us. In the meantime, I think you'll need to cut the arched fret grooves by hand until/when/if a solution crops up.

If anyone has figured out a way to do that, I'll bet LG has. Maybe he'll see this post and offer an idea or two, or you could send him a PM.

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 03:35 PM
If anyone has figured out a way to do that, I'll bet LG has. Maybe he'll see this post and offer an idea or two, or you could send him a PM.

I talked to LG about how he does it, but there has to be a way to get the machine to do it. I know I could control the depth with a v bit, a custom font and centerline, but I'd rather no buy centerline right now.

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I talked to LG about how he does it, but there has to be a way to get the machine to do it. I know I could control the depth with a v bit, a custom font and centerline, but I'd rather no buy centerline right now.

Okee, dokee. Sounds like you already have it figured out.

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
But after buying all of this equipment (including a scanning probe I have yet to use), it's going to be hard convincing SWMBO that I need to fork over another $100 - especially when I am not certain that it will work.

bjbethke
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Bud, that's a completely different format, it just shares the extension.

dbf, I did email him a couple days ago. No word yet, but he may get back to me. I also asked LHR, but I'm not sure if I'll get any response from that.

Not sure what you want, but are you looking for something like this?

liquidguitars
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Hogiewan ,

Try using the "depth profile" tool assigned to two mirrored paths at 90 to the fingerboard using the 1/16 bit.

LG

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Hogiewan ,

Try using the "depth profile" tool assigned to two mirrored paths at 90 to the fingerboard using the 1/16 bit.

LG

That sounds like something. I'm going to try that.

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Hogiewan ,

LG

that only works from the top of the board. Each fret cutout will have a slightly different height because of the compound radius (which is pretty radical on this guitar)

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28879&d=1259033803

liquidguitars
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
that only works from the top of the board.

Make the path from the center out , then mirror. or the outer eage to centerline "less grain tear out" approximately 1.20" long x 2.

I did talk to Chris L of LHR about the need to control the z depth for frets and inlay last summer he instantly thought of a cool way to do it via some programing, untill then your on your own like me. I hoping when the economy gets better LHR will have more resources to build some extra tool sets needed for instrument builders. or even a SDK for the programing users.

LG

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 09:03 PM

That's a good idea, but that will carve as a raster - I need one pass. The fret slot is only .023" wide.

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Make the path from the center out , then mirror. or the outer eage to centeraproxemently 1.20" long x 2.

I did talk to Chris L of LHR about the need to control the z depth for frets and inlay last summer he instantly thought of a cool way to do it via SW programing, but later LHR has told me the co. is not in a position to help me with "any of my requests " funning as people think differently.. So just like me your on your own sad to say. I hoping when the economy gets better LHR will have more resources to build some extra tool sets needed for instrument builders. or even a SDK for the programing users.

LG

It still brings the middle to the top of the board, but I need the edges at a certain depth and the middle at a certain depth.

that's unfortunate. I have already requested the MPC file info, but I will contact them about adding these type of features.

It seems like a 3D spline would be useful. Set the points in 2D and then assign a depth to each point.

Or they could have a vector "merge" with a pattern. This would solve some issues that people have with Centerline and they would probably get a lot more $100 Centerline sales.

liquidguitars
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
It still brings the middle to the top of the board,

extend the line "longer" now past center, like 2.70". This will drop the center depth..
you also can control the landing point of the bit, use keypad "stop" and "03" to go a few thousands lower off the center if needed.

liquidguitars
12-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I think this should work but not sure about using a .023"

LG

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
I think this should work but not sure about using a .023"

LG

Thanks - I didn't think of going past center. I'll probably just use a V bit to scratch the surface and get my fret saw in the right place.