PDA

View Full Version : Vector region skipped over and not carved on project

jgowrie
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey gang,

Got a question. I just came in from running a job ( attached ) and the raster carving of the alamo building and the star came out fine. For some reason, the machine never routed in the vector region which is the circle around the star.

When I fired up the machine, it asked for the vector bit ( 1/4" round over ) and I loaded it in the QC. The machine did it's check and then came back and asked for the carving bit to which I selected the 1/16th bit and loaded it up. The machine then started the job. When it finished the raster carving, it never asked for the 1/4 round over and instead went to the main menu.

Any ideas?

Here is some additional info if it makes a difference.

During the job duration ( 1:30:00 roughly ) I hit the STOP button and opened the door ( 3 times ) to vacuum out the machine. Then I closed the door and hit the ENTER button to start it back up.

One other thing I should mention, which may be normal but this is the first raster carving I have run so I don't know, is that the software/machine broke the raster carving down into three carvings. It started carving the first STAR and the first set of WINDOWS right after the STAR. The progress bar hit 100%, the machine stopped for a moment and then started running again with the progress bar at 0%. It was now carving the 4 COLUMNS and the WINDOWS and DOOR which were inside that region. It hit 100% again, paused and then moved into position to carve the rest of the project. Once it hit 100% again, it stopped and reset to the main menu.

Ike
11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey gang,

Got a question. I just came in from running a job ( attached ) and the raster carving of the alamo building and the star came out fine. For some reason, the machine never routed in the vector region which is the circle around the star.

When I fired up the machine, it asked for the vector bit ( 1/4" round over ) and I loaded it in the QC. The machine did it's check and then came back and asked for the carving bit to which I selected the 1/16th bit and loaded it up. The machine then started the job. When it finished the raster carving, it never asked for the 1/4 round over and instead went to the main menu.

Any ideas?

Here is some additional info if it makes a difference.

During the job duration ( 1:30:00 roughly ) I hit the STOP button and opened the door ( 3 times ) to vacuum out the machine. Then I closed the door and hit the ENTER button to start it back up.

One other thing I should mention, which may be normal but this is the first raster carving I have run so I don't know, is that the software/machine broke the raster carving down into three carvings. It started carving the first STAR and the first set of WINDOWS right after the STAR. The progress bar hit 100%, the machine stopped for a moment and then started running again with the progress bar at 0%. It was now carving the 4 COLUMNS and the WINDOWS and DOOR which were inside that region. It hit 100% again, paused and then moved into position to carve the rest of the project. Once it hit 100% again, it stopped and reset to the main menu.

Well one thing I did see was the inset was set at -.063 I may be wrong but when you have a negative number it is no longer at cutting depth. You want to keep the inset at zero and if you want the circle .125 then it should cut at that depth. It is really shallow so be careful when sanding or planing if you use a planer or plan on painting the circle.

Ike

Ike

jgowrie
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Well one thing I did see was the inset was set at -.063 I may be wrong but when you have a negative number it is no longer at cutting depth. You want to keep the inset at zero and if you want the circle .125 then it should cut at that depth. It is really shallow so be careful when sanding or planing if you use a planer or plan on painting the circle.

Ike

Ike

Ike,

I did set the inset to "-1/16" because the circle was slightly clipping the corners of the star and using the inset feature this way seemed like the fastest way to just slightly bump the circle outward without trying to scale it up that small an amount and then lining their centers back up.

Running the mouse over the carve region still shows a max cutting depth of .125 which is what I wanted.

Even if using the (negative) inset feature would cause the depth to change, it still doesn't seem to explain why the machine never asked for the 1/4" round over for that vector carve.

Thanks,
JOhn

Ike
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Ike,

I did set the inset to "-1/16" because the circle was slightly clipping the corners of the star and using the inset feature this way seemed like the fastest way to just slightly bump the circle outward without trying to scale it up that small an amount and then lining their centers back up.

Running the mouse over the carve region still shows a max cutting depth of .125 which is what I wanted.

Even if using the (negative) inset feature would cause the depth to change, it still doesn't seem to explain why the machine never asked for the 1/4" round over for that vector carve.

Thanks,
JOhn

John I never tried that before to me it still looks like the star is touching? Don't know why it never asked for the 1/4" round over? Does it make any difference the inset on the bit selection was zero?

You know you can always re start the project and see if it carves the circles. I forgot how you create a box around what you don't want carved and creating the section you want it is in the tip of the month.

Did this carve make a lot of saw dust that you had to clean 3 times? Hopefully somebody will help better then I can. I was really trying to help from what I saw.

Learned something new again today!

Ike