PDA

View Full Version : New some input

Lin
11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks to Ken for helping me out with the MPC file for this one. I carved it yesterday and it came out great. This sign will hang in one of the labs at the community college I'm attending. I'm doing the sign as a visual aid for a presentation I am giving in the class. It will stay with the teacher and the college. (Its called brown nosing for the A)...lol

The input I am after is on what to do about the finishing. My personal preference is to stain the board (I carved it in plain ole pine) with a reddish stain...(maybe red chestnut) laquer then paint the lettering with gold leaf. But that might be too much gold...?????

Other option will be for me to paint the entire board white and do the lettering just like the logo really looks. Pics of the MPC file in maple in designer and another pic of the logo itself and its true coloring.

I need input so it really looks great and gets me that A....help please.
Lin

DocWheeler
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Lin,

Since you are the one that puts most of the rest of us to shame, I doubt that there will be many responses! Personally, if the grain looks good, I'd let it show. Other than that, you are much better at it than I am, so I'll just see what comes of this.

Kenm810
11-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Lin,

I still like the way the ones you did awhile back came out.
What ever you decide I know the project will look Great! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

James RS
11-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes you do great work, I would do the letters black with the background a natural stain
except the swoosh do that red just as the artwork

want2b
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I would do the letters in a color as close to the orig as possible. The CO probably spent a lot of time & $$ to select their logo, The difference in a painted backgound or stained would not be as big a change as changing the color of the letters. Since it will be in wood folks would accept the background being stained to show the grain, but the actual letters?
Rick H

Lin
11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
After much thought and more thought and really not sure and checking back here a couple times I stained the board red chestnut. I will have to put a second coat on tomorrow.
I will use tow paint pens on it after many coats of laquer and more sanding. I am using the gold and will pick up a silver pen next week-end to use for the red. I also have copper and might try it out instead of the gold. We will see...it will be one of the two.
I will post it after its done.
Heading to the galler y now to post the sign I did for my business class.
Lin