PDA

View Full Version : Dingbat problem...

Fletcher
11-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Ok all you wizards of wood... or graphics... depending on how you look at it...

I am creating font files with my own dingbats but when I try to use them in designer the font just defaults to an arial font - even though I am using the font family that I created. The fonts I made work properly in other programs. Anybody else had this problem?

I will say "thanks" now for any help!

lawrence
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I've had this problem... it seems to happen when certain "filler" symbols are left blank. I have better luck if I take an existing font (that isn't already loaded on my computer) and change the symbols to my dingbats and then load the font on my 'puter. I have the font saved (with my new dingbats) and then delete it from my fonts folder and then resave it with my added dingbat whenever I make a new one.

I figured this out myself but it was also referenced in the "tips and tricks" article on dingbats

I hope this came through clear enough...
Lawrence

Fletcher
11-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Lawrence, I tried it and it just gets weirder. I took a font that I never use, put it in a new folder, exported from Coreldraw to that font set. Now, when I reloaded that font set back into my font folder and tried to use it in designer, that whole font set now comes in as arial - it changed all of it, including my new dingbat.

Anymore ideas??? I will review the T&T on it too.

Thanks again.

dbfletcher
11-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Lawrence, I tried it and it just gets weirder. I took a font that I never use, put it in a new folder, exported from Coreldraw to that font set. Now, when I reloaded that font set back into my font folder and tried to use it in designer, that whole font set now comes in as arial - it changed all of it, including my new dingbat.

Anymore ideas??? I will review the T&T on it too.

Thanks again.y
I dont know if this has anything to do with it... but when i work with creating symbol fonts, I always seem to have to exit designer and start it up again to read my "new ttf" correctly.

Doug Fletcher

Fletcher
11-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks Doug, I tried that too. However, going on what Lawrence said, I downloaded and installed a trial version of "Font Creator" which is what mtyler uses in the T&T guide. Sure enough, the fonts I am exporting have a whole whack of empty characters. I will mess with it some more but do either of you know of some freeware to handle this?

Cheers!
Darrin

Fletcher
11-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks again guys! I resolved the issue and it was indeed empty placeholders in the font file. I did what Lawrence suggested and it works - THANKS!

Now, back to carving...:mrgreen:

mtylerfl
11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
...I downloaded and installed a trial version of "Font Creator" which is what mtyler uses in the T&T guide. ...
Cheers!
Darrin

Hi Darrin,

Glad you got your problem sorted out. Just want to make a small correction - I did not write the font/dingbat tutorial. That excellent Tips issue was written and illustrated totally by Doug Haffner.

lawrence
11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
glad it worked out for you-- we're all on this journey together!
Lawrence