PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a decision on purchase

low_48
06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I been reading all the posts on the forum and am trying to make a decision on purchasing. As some general thoughts, does anyone wish that they had spent a couple thousand more and bought a bench top cnc router? Do you feel restricted with the software? Has the motor had the power you anticipated?

I run a $100,000 5 axis Motionmaster at work, and have a laser engraver already in the home shop so I am not intimidated with CNC. I look at the 2 grand price and can justify that amount to have some fun, but have been looking at some benchtop machines. With them I can add a 4th axis for engraving and carving pens, but I don't want to spend so much computer time designing.

I sure would appreciate some feedback from owners on your experiences and your thought process on making the purchase. Anyone in Illinois that I could visit running a machine? Thanks, Rich

David M.
06-12-2006, 10:49 PM
If your looking for a michine to base a business on, this isn't it, but if your looking for a michine to supliment what you might already be doing this is a great addition. It's not a run all day production machine but very capible.

Without knowing your actual usage it's hard to say if it's for you. I've only had the machine a couple of weeks but am amazed at it's abilities, the software is improving quickly and the customer support is unrivaled. I also have worked on very expensive industral equipment, and for the size and price point it is unbelievably capable.

The software needs work as does the machine, power is fine but size can be and issue, but that should be known going in. It's an evolving product and the bugs come with the package, but as a starting point it an amazing achievement, and it is only bound to get better.

I've done a dozen or so carvings with varying success, but only because of the learnig curve, the machine is doing everthing I've asked it to and the software is very accurate visualy, what you see IS what you get.

It is not polished and or finished, and could likely sell for twice what their asking for it without issue. In the right shop it's a gem, but you'll only get out what you put into it. The learning curve isn't that steep, but it is long, there are so many features to test and learn, it's just going to take time to get throught it all. But so far I'm amazed at the overall capibility.

Old Salt
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
ive had my machine for 3 mounths & have had a blast with it can't belive it capabilitys , learning more each day . I build custom homes and can add custom details to my trim , cabnets, signs, ect. have used it at least once every day for the past 3 mounths. Looking forward to new software & hardware for this machine. they will get there . Join us & Have some fun and make a little money doing it.

lpcsales
06-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Low_48...
As was said, it is a very capable machine and one that you can have some serious fun with, but it isn't a production machine. I've ordered a new shopbot and will have it sometime in July, so if you would like to purchase a slightly used Carvewright at a very good price send me an email (lpcsales@earthlink.net) for more info.

lpcsales
06-24-2006, 06:15 PM
CW has been sold

nicobie
06-25-2006, 08:07 PM
CW has been sold

So, why did you sell?

lpcsales
06-25-2006, 08:30 PM
First, let me clarify. MY Carvewright machine has been sold, NOT the company. Sorry if this confused some.

I sold because I needed something that would do more, faster. I ordered a new ShopBot CNC router system, due for delivery mid-July with a 4'x4' bed. It will be residing in its own new building and outfitted with a dust collection system.

The CW was nice and truely a unique machine, but I needed more capability and more flexibility in both the software and machine. I did seriously consider keeping it and placing in with my ShopBot as setup was quite quick and it's a one of a kind machine.

I must say that I really did have fun with it, but must move on. I wish all of the folks here the best with their CW's...I know you are all having some great fun!