PDA

View Full Version : Bit Optimize

James RS
11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
How much does this effect a carve when optimizing the bit in the software?

Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
11-27-2009, 03:00 PM
How much does this effect a carve when optimizing the bit in the software?

Thanks,
Jim

Makes a huge difference - when using high-quality patterns, using "Bit Optimization: BEST" will result in a much nicer carve.

I should mention that there is a kind of a funny oddity when using some "homemade" or poor-quality freebie patterns. In those cases, you might actually want to leave it at the "None" Bit Optimization setting. That can actually help those kinds of patterns look better, because a lot of the details are lost. For "bad" patterns, choosing "Bit Optimization: Best" can actually reveal details you really don't want!

James RS
11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I used the Best setting for the Bit Optimization and the Optimal carve settting. What I don't understand is it didn't reflect any real change in the design software it looked great. That was until I got done with the carve, it looked like a watercolor no specific detail.

James RS
11-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Ok I went and started over from the original picture, added the blur exactly the way I did on my previous Lithopane. I have 2 photos the one on the left I did about a month or so ago the one on the right I did today. It is no where near the earlier one, I don't get it anybody have an idea?

Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
11-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Hello,

I would say not to use any blur at all for lithos. Using blur will force a loss of detail for sure. Also, it's beneficial not to save photos as compressed jpg's, the quality suffers even more.

Try to use photos with a high resolution, preferably in non-compressed formats such as PNG or even TIF, which would then be saved as PNG (again, avoid compressed jpg's, if at all possible).

Another tip: It will help to keep the photo "original quality" by not re-saving it as a jpg - many folks alter a jpg then resave it as a jpg...most often the quality suffers exponentially with every saved version because it compresses the file again each time. After altering a jpg photo, save it as a PNG instead to avoid further quality loss.

Hard to say what caused your photo degradation in quality without knowing exactly what was done to the photo and what the original photo resolution was like in the first place, but my guess would be it's probably due to jpg compression in combination with the blur that was applied.

EDIT: both of your lithos look pretty cool to me!

James RS
11-29-2009, 05:33 AM
Hello,

I would say not to use any blur at all for lithos. Using blur will force a loss of detail for sure. Also, it's beneficial not to save photos as compressed jpg's, the quality suffers even more.

Try to use photos with a high resolution, preferably in non-compressed formats such as PNG or even TIF, which would then be saved as PNG (again, avoid compressed jpg's, if at all possible).

Another tip: It will help to keep the photo "original quality" by not re-saving it as a jpg - many folks alter a jpg then resave it as a jpg...most often the quality suffers exponentially with every saved version because it compresses the file again each time. After altering a jpg photo, save it as a PNG instead to avoid further quality loss.

Hard to say what caused your photo degradation in quality without knowing exactly what was done to the photo and what the original photo resolution was like in the first place, but my guess would be it's probably due to jpg compression in combination with the blur that was applied.

EDIT: both of your lithos look pretty cool to me!

Thanks for the kind words,
But the photo I scanned as I did a previous litho brought into Photoshop and the background was removed slight blur added .2 exported as a PNG format. Imported into
the design software, carve depth of .187 height 400 as I did previously. I mean there's a drastic difference between the 2 and the latest doesn't even look like what I have in the design software. The definition isn't there as before

EDIT: Here's how I did my very first 2 lithos and they turned out awesome, http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8514

James RS
11-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Ok started over different file even change the direction depth .185 and 100 height
Used Best setting as I did the first time.

The one on the left I did previously it reflected the designer, the one on the right is from today
taken from the designer and looks nothing like it. I don't get it any idears?

Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Jim,

It looks like the photo was not as good of a quality as the photo used for your first carve. Might have occurred when re-saving after your editing in Photoshop, but I don't know.

I guess if it were me, I would start over from the original scan (or if the scan has already been altered/re-saved, scan the photo all over again to be sure you are starting fresh).

I would try scanning the photo as a Greyscale at 300 to 600 dpi. Save the scan as a PNG or a TIF. Open the photo in PhotoShop, do whatevr edits you think are needed, don't use any blur, then re-save the photo as a PNG. Avoid the jpg format every step of the way and I think you'll be able to get a sharper-looking litho carve.

Please let me know how you make out.

All the Best...

James RS
11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Michael,
The funny thing is it's the same exact photo, that's what has me stumped. I haven't changed done anything to it since the first carve.
Even the designer picture I posted doesn't reflect what I'm getting in the end

mtylerfl
11-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Golly - that is a mystery! I guess I would check the bit for sharpness, and the QC to make sure there is no "wiggle" or bit runout.

Was the photo enlarged on the second carve? (i.e., stretched bigger than the first carve photo size) - that could cause a quality loss (pixelation).

Offhand, I can't think of what else could cause the degradation to the photo/carve. (I assume it was exactly the same material stock, as well.)

James RS
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Golly - that is a mystery! I guess I would check the bit for sharpness, and the QC to make sure there is no "wiggle" or bit runout.

Was the photo enlarged on the second carve? (i.e., stretched bigger than the first carve photo size) - that could cause a quality loss (pixelation).

Offhand, I can't think of what else could cause the degradation to the photo/carve. (I assume it was exactly the same material stock, as well.)

I checked the QC no play at all, bit seats tightly like the day I bought it also it seems sharp.
I haven't done half as many carves on it as alot of others have. Photo is the same size, material is the same. I'm going to take your advice and just start over again, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks,
Jim