PDA

View Full Version : Come on gang...use that "Title" line of your posts!!

TurtleCove
11-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Gang, seriously....when you post up here, we are allowed a lot of characters in the title of the posting.

SO USE IT !!

Check out these titles:

Lithopane
Centerline
Can a....
Pricing
Pom
draft

(those are actual titles of postings up here. You'd swear people are low on screen ink!)

Those tell us nothing, unless we open the post and read it. Having a full, and explanatory title, of the subject of your posting allows the rest of us to search and find it in the future, and encourages us to open and read it, if it's on-topic.

kenrik
11-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Oops ! I just ran out of title space to complete my reply...go figure. :p

Using one or two words in a title is called the old bait & catch routine ( I like it that way ).. When we see only those two words, it grabs our attention, and we can't just let it slide by. We have to see what's behind door #1,2,or 3. If you have a lengthy title then you might judge the content of the thread / reply before reading it. You know the old saying...Never judge a book by it's cover.
Short, sweet, and to the point Titles get the job done...so lighten up and enjoy the Holiday's :p

Digitalwoodshop
11-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Your going to use the forum MY way or I am NOT going to read your POST...

:rolleyes:

It's only a forum.....

No need yell at people....

We come here to learn.....

We come in Peace... Take me to your Leader....:mrgreen:

The holidays are a stressfull time.... No need to bring stress here.

AL

hess
11-27-2009, 02:08 PM
May be I just dont get it but this is just a place to find out how to work this stuff this is informal.
If you dont want to read the post dont! You just may pass up something good

I have only used the Title strip to change or start a new thread. If you are answering someone whats the problem

as far as your list I dont have an issue whit the way they are listed they are short ant sweet some like it short maybe you like it different but that's your choice

Consider this... Not all the ones out there:roll: may be a PC smart as you, maybe because of age or health or whatever this is a divers bunch so lighten up a bit it is just a post you dont like the way it is worded dont read it and move on. this place has seem its sure of peed off folks and rules for this or that and censorship so lets find a common ground and remember there are much more important thing in this life then if I forget to use a line

Eagle Hollow
11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=TurtleCove;112967]Gang, seriously....when you post up here, we are allowed a lot of characters in the title of the posting.

SO USE IT !!

Check out these titles:

Lithopane
Centerline
Can a....
Pricing
Pom
draft

(those are actual titles of postings up here. You'd swear people are low on screen ink!)

Those tell us nothing, unless we open the post and read it. Having a full, and explanatory title, of the subject of your posting allows the rest of us to search and find it in the future, and encourages us to open and read it, if it's on-topic.

????????????? You don't HAVE to read it!!!!!!!

Eagle Hollow
11-27-2009, 02:33 PM
The title says it all

jgowrie
11-28-2009, 10:41 AM
:mrgreen:

When you use Google, you can put keywords in tags or include "+" "-" symbols to hone in on better results.

To use this thread as an example, I typed in an exact phrase from the original post - "wondering whether there". Unfortunately, the results returned every post using any of those words. This thread was at the top of the list, but depending on what you are searching for, the search limitations of the forum are an annoyance.

I have found using search a little tedious at times. I waste a lot of time sifting through lots of threads trying to stumble on the one which has the pertinent information I am looking for. When a new user is confused, the last thing they want is to become frustrated using the forums search tool. Then they'll just waste forum space posting a question that has probably been answered very thoroughly in the past. Information becomes fragmented and the forum becomes less useful.

There are a couple of threads I found using search which have been inactive for several months, but I posted to them since my question was in lines with the original post. The nice thing about this forum's users is they are active. My questions got answered, even though my post was placed in an old thread.

I have used other forums based on the same vBulletin code this one is and they have a "search with Google" feature which would come in very handy here. The search results are better and you find the information you are looking for faster.

john

SteveEJ
11-28-2009, 12:27 PM
How about if we do what we have been doing. It seems to work.. If it ain't broke well then..

TurtleCove
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow gang...I've certainly learned a lot, with all these replies.

In almost every other forum I am a member of, you'll see postings from moderators, and other users asking "Did you search for your answer first?"

With titles that tell nothing about the content of the post, performing a search is useless.

I've never run into a forum where people consider a "subject line" irrelevant.

By the way, you have no idea how many people are ignoring your post, due to an irrelevant title. Many people have very busy lives, and don't have time to view every post up here. Many people will hone in on particular posts that they feel they can assist with, or that can help them....and will thus simply ignore a post with a title like "How about..."

I guess you guys (at least those that replied), have a lot more time on your hands than I do.

The gentleman that indicated he purposefully creates titles to "bait" people into opening his post, is probably causing more people to skip his thread, than to open it. Imagine going to a bookstore, and all the book splines are blank....but then again, it sounds like most of you have plenty of time on your hands, to browse all those books, and all these threads.....hmmmmm, interesting.

I suspect a lot of it, is that these forums get very few postings, overall. I think if there where hundreds of postings up here each day, the Titles would become much more important.

Thanks for the feedback, gang....I've learned a lot.

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
It's one of my pet peeves too. And you only need a title for the thread, not individual posts. I am constantly opening threads that I have already read and found the topic closed because the title is so generic I didn't remember it. I tend to open about half of the newly updated threads every time I come in

It's not a big deal, but I agree with the OP.

TurtleCove
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm with you, hogiewan, but it looks like we're a minority.
From the responses, it looks like most up here don't mind opening every single post....which is completely confusing to me. They must enjoy reading about carving, more than carving !!

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm with you, hogiewan, but it looks like we're a minority.
From the responses, it looks like most up here don't mind opening every single post....which is completely confusing to me. They must enjoy reading about carving, more than carving !!

For my point of view, it is pretty rare when the thread stays on topic throught the entire thread. If i just read the titles, I would miss sooooooo much good info, tips, and tricks. I'll admit I probably do at least scan ever post on here. If it looks interesting, I'll read the entire thing in more detail. As you stated this forum isnt getting hundreds or thousands of posts a day so it doesnt take more than 10-15 minutes to go thru every single new post that appears on here daily. Every now and again someone hits a hot button and there will be a flood of posts, but generally, it takes very little time to keep up.

Doug Fletcher

Jeff_Birt
12-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I used to ask folks to do things that would make their life a lot easier, like use the search tool, use a relevant title, read through all the documentation that is available, etc etc. I even went so far as to do the search and report back a few relevant posts and give the OP the search terms I used or post the relevant section of the manual. All I got for it was a bunch of flack from folks acted like you told them Santa Clause does not exist.

There are lots of great folks on this forum who will help others out at the drop of a hat, but asking folks to learn how to help themselves (and others) is a loosing battle. I know you can lead a horse to water but not make them drink; but when the horse balks at the leading part too I'm inclined to let them go thirsty. ;)

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I think most posts here and in other forums usually do have a relevant, descriptive title, but I certainly do know what you mean...I've seen posts in forums where the title is just a single word like "Question", "Help", "Newbie" or something similar that doesn't give anyone a clue what the post topic really is about.

I tend to open and read those anyway, because my curiosity gets the better of me, I suppose. I agree it is helpful (both short-term and long-term) to title the original post topic with something that is somewhat descriptive - just a very few words is all that's needed. I never really thought about it much until now, and it's not really bothered me. Folks that are new to forum communities don't realize how useful a relevant title can be when they are first starting out, so I imagine poorly titled posts will continue to occur from time to time, regardless.

TurtleCove
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I used to ask folks to do things that would make their life a lot easier, like use the search tool, use a relevant title, read through all the documentation that is available, etc etc. I even went so far as to do the search and report back a few relevant posts and give the OP the search terms I used or post the relevant section of the manual. All I got for it was a bunch of flack from folks acted like you told them Santa Clause does not exist.

There are lots of great folks on this forum who will help others out at the drop of a hat, but asking folks to learn how to help themselves (and others) is a loosing battle. I know you can lead a horse to water but not make them drink; but when the horse balks at the leading part too I'm inclined to let them go thirsty. ;)

Wow, I couldn't agree with you more, Jeff. Very well said. I too don't think people realize how something as simple as a relevant title, can help so many other folks. But, no sense beating a dead horse.

Fletcher
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I find that if I hover for a second over the title line, the first few lines of the post show up in a little box. If the info is interesting I click, if not I hover over the next one down.

I think that this forum is actually fantastic because it is so full of info, that I find myself "stuck" here gathering all the useful stuff from just reading and reading posts. It is great that it is here and ACTUALLY useful. Spend some time hangin' out here TC and you might find yourself in the same boat - addicted! :D I even check what's happening on my BlackBerry sometimes.... I know, I know, sad....

If you feel that a particular thread is a waste of your time just ignore it, nobody will be offended. Everybody was new here at some point or another...

Cheers, and since it is now officially December, Merry Christmas!

Fletcher
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
TC, have you noticed that none of your posts here, except the first one, use the title line at all? Tsk, Tsk... :mrgreen:

TurtleCove
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Fletcher, typically the person whom starts the thread, creates a title (and hopefully a meaningful one)....not every single responder. Responders may, if they wish, but doing so typically adds no "features" to the thread. It's only the original Title, that is seen from the main content screen.

I'd love to spend more time up here, browsing every single post, but I don't think my boss would approve that.

Just curious....do you browse every single post on every forum on the web that you are a member of?

Fletcher
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Fletcher, typically the person whom starts the thread, creates a title (and hopefully a meaningful one)....not every single responder. Responders may, if they wish, but doing so typically adds no "features" to the thread. It's only the original Title, that is seen from the main content screen.

I'd love to spend more time up here, browsing every single post, but I don't think my boss would approve that.

Just curious....do you browse every single post on every forum on the web that you are a member of?

Oh come on TC, lighten up a little. You seem to have time to come on here to be defensive every couple of hours - at work or not.

I think most of the posts that seem to have ticked you off are basically trying to say the same thing - chill-out, it is just a forum for users to share info AND personal experiences.

I don't think your boss would approve of you being on here at all, at his or her expense, unless of course you use the CW for work. It sounds more like you are upset because the material is taking to long to find when you are "sneekin' a peek".

To answer your question, no, I don't browse every single post on every forum on the web that I am a member of, that would be a waste of my time - sort of like responding to this thread. I CHOOSE which posts I want to read by hovering like I already said before.

Happy New Year!

Azbear
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I know I am running low on my patients level try to locate something I read some time back and have to find it again...maybe I'll just start to copy and store the entry in my personal files from now on...

The "search" only works if one has all of that time.

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I know I am running low on my patients level try to locate something I read some time back and have to find it again...maybe I'll just start to copy and store the entry in my personal files from now on...

Can you share some of the keywords you looking for? So far I have had little trouble finding the appropriate post I was lookin for when using the search feature. Tell us what you looking for..im sure someone will remember where it is at.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
12-01-2009, 08:08 PM

There are at least three ways that may be used rather that building "Copies" of particular Forum threads.
1) A single post, within a thread, may be selected by clicking on the "Post Number" close to the upper Right corner of the post.
This will bring up just that post. You may then Add that post to your "Favorites/Bookmark List".
(You may also Highlight this new address, Copy it, and Paste it, into any post you wish).
2) You may Add a Thread to your Favorites/Bookmark List, and refer to it as in option #1 above.
3) You may "Subscribe" to any Thread you wish and be notified, via eMail, of each new posting to that Thread.
NOTE: In #1 & #2, above, You may name the Favorite/Bookmark as you like, thus making it more meaningful to yourself.

You may, also Un-subscribe from any thread you wish.
AskBud

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Excellent tips, Bud. Thank you for your input!

hogiewan
12-01-2009, 09:10 PM
1) A single post, within a thread, may be selected by clicking on the "Post Number" close to the upper Left corner.

I think you meant the monitor's left. From here, it's on my right.

AskBud
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I think you meant the monitor's left. From here, it's on my right.

I stand corrected! It is on the Right.
Thanks, AskBud

Kurtsara
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Gang, seriously....when you post up here, we are allowed a lot of characters in the title of the posting.

SO USE IT !!

Check out these titles:

Lithopane
Centerline
Can a....
Pricing
Pom
draft

I agree with you, I am on many forums and if the subject line is like the examples you show I ignore the post, it allows you plenty of space to write a good subject so why not use it.

It's like some craigslist adds, you could type a page of info but some people just put one sentence, no picture, and never respond when you email them, why even post it then?

And putting something in the title when responding I have never done, I don't really know why that is even there.

Even though I sold my CW I still follow the forum, you never know when I will buy another CW.

PCW
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
And putting something in the title when responding I have never done, I don't really know why that is even there.

I think this is what the original poster was referring to. I normally don't put any text in the title when replying unless I think it is important then I will.

I agree that if you start a new tread it should have some pertinent information in the title. Doing so will not only help you now but will also help someone down the road find a solution to a problem.

Yes I read every post and I'm addicted. Support group anyone?:D

TurtleCove
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Dan and Kurt...

It's good to see others that see the importance of creating threads up here with good, valid titles. I'm surprised how many seem to disagree with me, and act like it's no big deal. And others that act like we all should be reading every post anyway!!

It might be "just be a forum"...as Fletcher said, but how hard is it to start with a meaningful title, that can make our forum more usable for everyone else? The resistance to do so, amazes me.

Regardless, like the Mod replied with, he's tried more than once to water the horses, but he can't even lead them to the watering hole !

Kurtsara
12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I think this is what the original poster was referring to.

No, he means the original poster should write a good description in the subject, not just "for sale" for example, it should say something like "Bits for sale" or "Signs for sale"

JOHNB
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
copied from paint.net(forum)"THE RULES"
4) You must make sense. Tiping lyk thz iz n0t kewl.

5) You only need one exclamation ! or question mark ? It's really obnoxious when people post like this: "How do I do this ??????????????????" or "That's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" C'mon people. We get the point just as well if you only use 1 or 2. Thanks.

6) Thread titles must be descriptive and specific -- NOT generic. You need to use descriptive thread titles. The following are examples of thread titles that are NOT ALLOWED:

"Help"
"Please help"
"I need help"
"Can you help"
"HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!" (if you post like this you WILL be banned)
"Tutorial request"
"Feature request"
"Plugin request"
"Looking for..."
"Looking for a tutorial / feature / plugin"
"Can Paint.NET do this" ('this' is complete ambiguous here)
"I'm a newbie"
"Hello"
"I'm new"
also, putting "HELP!" in any title is also not allowed, it's really quite obnoxious. We know you want help, that's why you're posting in the first place.
etc.
This pollutes the forum with generic threads and makes it impossible to navigate. Imagine if everyone posted with thread titles like this and we had pages full of "Help!!", "Please help", "Please I'm a newbie" or even "Hi" or "Pony" ... it would be stupid. Just like you should be doing with e-mail, write your subject line for the recipient, not the sender. Read here for more detailed info: http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 88858.aspx (btw, Raymond Chen's blog is excellent, and I recommend reading as much of it as you can!). Here's the important part: from now on, threads with generic titles will be locked and/or deleted. Without warning. This rules posting is your warning.

cnsranch
12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Geez, guys - can you whack the horse a couple more times? I think I saw him move a little :rolleyes:

Fletcher
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
TC, I get the whole meaningful title bit - I think everybody does. I'm not resisting you for the sake of resisting. I think the reason that you are facing resistance here is because you came on a little strong in the first post by expressing your thoughts on the matter and then saying "SO USE IT!". Nobody, I'm sure yourself included, likes to be yelled at(typing in all caps=yelling online, for those who don't know), or spoken to like they are idiots. Then you followed it with some more, shall we say "bitterness", or is that too strong a term?

Either way, most of the folks on here are pretty darn nice folks even if they don't use the forum absolutely properly. A whole lot of them are just in the process of learning how to use a computer and the internet, as well as the CW.
This can all add up to some stressful situations - just read how angry some guys get when trying to make this all work properly. Then on top of all that, somebody yells at them for not posting properly - somebody who's not even a moderator - do you see where I am coming from? Jeff is a mod and he still only uses sarcasm to get his point across, not yelling.

Perhaps in the future you will find that if you ask nicely for things, you'll get a much better response than DEMANDING things.

Maybe the horses need to be taught that the water is good to drink, NOT forced to drink it.:)

cnsranch
12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe the horses need to be taught that the water is good to drink, NOT forced to drink it.:)

Fletch - Beer's better - think about it, when was the last time you were forced to drink a beer?:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Fletcher
12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Fletch - Beer's better - think about it, when was the last time you were forced to drink a beer?:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Excellent point CNS! k-psssstt(sound of a cold one cracking open)... cheers!:mrgreen:

pkunk
12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I closed this thread by request & because it was getting out of hand.
Fro the Forum guidelines
"Unnecessary and unproductive complaining and whining will not be tolerated on this forum. Posts containing such will immediately be closed and/or deleted."