PDA

View Full Version : 'Secret' Key Holder - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
11-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Hello,

The latest POM (Project of the Month) is the "Secret Key Holder".

Hide your “spare key clutter” with this handy and decorative wall-mounted ‘Secret’ Key Holder!

The finished project is approximately 10½" wide x 8½" tall x 2¼" deep. It can be mounted on a wall or placed on a table or shelf. You can customize the design by substituting any patterns you already own, or use the “Home Sweet Home” needlepoint-look design, already included.

The Secret Key Holder will make a wonderful housewarming gift (or for any occasion) and provides an interesting and attractive way to hide those extra keys!

The project uses the two bits that came with your machine, plus a 3/8" Straight Bit available from the CarveWright store at http://store.carvewright.com (if you own the full bit set, you already have the 3/8" Straight Bit as part of the set)

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Key_Holder_Front.mpc
• Key_Frame_Box.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Key_Holder_Front: .75" x 11" x 18"
Key_Frame_Box: .75" x 11" x 29"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish, a drill, screws/inserts for wall mounting, 3mm round magnet (from www.woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com) part # 128473), a 4d finish nail, wood chisel or Dremel Router accessory attachment for creating the hinge mortise, if desired

4) Hinge for lid/door (¾" x 8" piano-style)
(I used Brainerd hinge # 1268XC from www.hardwareworld.com (http://www.hardwareworld.com))

5) Hooks or dowels for hanging keys
(I used ½" brass shoulder/L-hooks from Lowes part # 491391)

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Secret Key Holder made from Select Pine wood:

Finish:
1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one light coat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured Alcohol)
2) Stain - MinWax Stain (Colonial Maple # 223)
3) Clearcoat - Several light coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss (spray can), spot-sanding some areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.
4) Brown and white acrylic paint marker pens on the lettering.

c6craig
11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Another awesome project Michael! Looks like fun, can't wait to make it!

Thanks for the preview!

Craig

mtylerfl
11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Another awesome project Michael! Looks like fun, can't wait to make it!

Thanks for the preview!

Craig

Thanks, Craig! Hope you enjoy doing the project as much as I did!

henry1
11-29-2009, 04:42 AM
To bad we can't get the poject before the 1 st of the month so we can make a few for Christmas gift:roll:

Shawnf2
11-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Looks awesome gonna like makin these,and I like how you used 11 inch wide boards Lowes and Home Depots around here have changed the width of there pine 1x12s to about 11 1/8.

Shawn

Bowengg
11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Yep, looks like i'll be making this one to.

Have the 4th carve in the machine now, Joy Tree. The wife "asked" :rolleyes: in no uncertain terms for me to make 4 of the trees for xmas presents. With the amount of time I'll be in the garage I'll have to get the propane tanks filled quick so I don't freeze in the spirit.:mrgreen:

Chet67
11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Craig! Hope you enjoy doing the project as much as I did!

Hi Michael, yes another great POM.
But is that a N in Sweet or do I have to return my glasses in?
chet67:confused:

mtylerfl
11-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi Michael, yes another great POM.
But is that a N in Sweet or do I have to return my glasses in?
chet67:confused:

It's a "w" alright - that font style ("Tiranti Solid" http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=203941) is a little different than what us 21st-Century folks are used to!

Shawnf2
12-01-2009, 01:02 PM
anyone get this file yet?
Shawn

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
anyone get this file yet?
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I got word that the folks at CarveWright are planning to make it available later on today, if all goes according to plan!

Bowengg
12-01-2009, 07:39 PM
HI michael,

How do I down load it? Do they send out emails with the codes or .....?

Hi Shawn,

I got word that the folks at CarveWright are planning to make it available later on today, if all goes according to plan!

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
HI michael,

How do I down load it? Do they send out emails with the codes or .....?

Hello,

I have not actually seen or participated in the actual process myself, but I understand that all of the subscribers receive an automatic email notification along with a download link for each monthly project when it is made available.

After you download the project mpc files and illustrated instruction pdf, I believe you then need to activate the license for the project by logging in to your Manage Licenses account area. Once activated, the project mpc's can then be loaded onto your memory card as normal, and run through your machine.

Ike
12-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello,

I have not actually seen or participated in the actual process myself, but I understand that all of the subscribers receive an automatic email notification along with a download link for each monthly project when it is made available.

After you download the project mpc files and illustrated instruction pdf, I believe you then need to activate the license for the project by logging in to your Manage Licenses account area. Once activated, the project mpc's can then be loaded onto your memory card as normal, and run through your machine.

I received my e-mail and downloaded the POM, but I am unable to import the license. This happen last POM so does LHR need to fix it or is it just me?

Ike

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I received my e-mail and downloaded the POM, but I am unable to import the license. This happen last POM so does LHR need to fix it or is it just me?

Ike

They (LHR) have had problems with the last 3 POM's. I dont even bother trying to get em right away. I'll let others be frustrated and figure it out.. then download em a few days after they have been posted. But thanks for people like you who clear the landmines for slackers like me!!!
Doug Fletcher

fwharris
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
They (LHR) have had problems with the last 3 POM's. I dont even bother trying to get em right away. I'll let others be frustrated and figure it out.. then download em a few days after they have been posted. But thanks for people like you who clear the landmines for slackers like me!!!
Doug Fletcher

Yep!!!! Me Too!!!

mtylerfl
12-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm very sorry for the delay - I know some of you are very anxious to fit everything into your busy Christmas schedules! I'll bet someone at the main office is already on it (with someone probably crackin' a whip, too).;)

Seriously, the fine folks at LHR certainly want to circumvent any hassles or unnecessary delays. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out pretty quickly.

pkunk
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Looks like a nice project. :) If I were to make it more 'hidden', I'd use barrel hinges instead. No hinge visible, & use a magnetic catch.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=270&ne_ppc_id=776&ne_key_id=3426850&gclid=CN3Bk8Dhtp4CFQjyDAod5x66nQ

mtylerfl
12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Looks like a nice project. :) If I were to make it more 'hidden', I'd use barrel hinges instead. No hinge visible, & use a magnetic catch.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=270&ne_ppc_id=776&ne_key_id=3426850&gclid=CN3Bk8Dhtp4CFQjyDAod5x66nQ

Thanks for the link - That is a great solution for easy to install hinges that are totally hidden from view! I'll be ordering some of those for some new box projects I have planned.

pkunk
12-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I didn't think of it in my post, but, you could have the CW drill the holes for the barrel hinges for a perfect match.:)

Thanks for the link - That is a great solution for easy to install hinges that are totally hidden from view! I'll be ordering some of those for some new box projects I have planned.

Ike
12-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Ike

Sorry my bad I need to slow down when I read or maybe today is different day and it worked! I can't wait to make it!

Ike