PDA

View Full Version : 220v

cri050871
11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi guys

I`m from Europe and want to buy an machine. Its is posibility to get one at 220 V or how can i use it at 110 V in europe.

Cristian

www.go3d.us
11-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Yes you can, what you need is to buy one of these: http://www.buy.com/prod/500-watts-step-up-down-voltage-converter-transformer-for-110v-240v/q/loc/111/211223813.html or http://www.buy.com/prod/litefuze-vt500-500-watts-power-voltage-converter-transformer/q/loc/111/211532497.html or http://www.buy.com/prod/seven-star-thg-300-300-watts-power-voltage-converter-transformer-setp/q/loc/111/211035804.html

seabass
11-25-2009, 02:06 AM
You are right you can get something like that BUT those items you listed are way to cheap to run your CW, IMHO.

You need more of a high quality and from what I can tell by adding up the parts I just do not see how anything less than 100.00 or more can be a good enough match for the CarveWright. The CarveWright should be treated more like a fragile device than a shop tool.. Even with a battery powered back up you need to be very careful not getting a cheapo unit if you are going to use it for a CW.

I would like to see the output on those converters on an oscilloscope to look at the waveform before I went with such a cheap unit. Hey they may work, I just do not think those cheap units are the ones I would use for a CW.

This one here really is considered cheap and probably something like this is the very lowest quality I would go for if I wanted to use it for a CW. I would want one with at least a 1 year warranty, this one has a 30 day return for any reason and a 1 year manufacturer warranty, I think its pretty nice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230400912021&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=9c767c931230a0437141f791ffca972e&itemid=230400912021&ff4=263602_263622

geocan
11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm no electrical whiz, but I don't think it's the Voltage that is the issue with European Power, there is also the Hz factor. While i am very much aware of several efficient voltage converters I do not know of any product which will convert 50 hz to 60 Hz. This could cause eventual damage to the Cut Motor as I understand. Does anyone else have any input??

seabass
11-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Absolutely, but these are made to also compensate for that. Read the fine print they are made specifically to use in the other countries and with the hz difference, which actually is not that big a deal, not like the voltage difference.

I have run a Festool 50HZ 220-240V here in my shop no issue, the 60hz has made no diff at all.

luckettg
11-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Is the CW an exportable item?

howcome
05-22-2010, 02:40 PM
You are right you can get something like that BUT those items you listed are way to cheap to run your CW, IMHO.

I'd like to get a Carvewright for use in Europe. Before purchasing one, I'd like to ensure that I can get a power supply for it. Have you actually run the CW using one of the power converters you point to? And, could you repost the model number -- the ebay listing has expired.

Thanks for your help!

wizer
05-23-2010, 04:39 AM
I am using a CW in the UK with a transformer. I do not understand the Hz problem and wasn't aware of it before I purchased. My CW came from another UK user who was selling. She had imported it from The Little Red Workshop. So far I have done about 6 1.5hr carves and all have worked well. I do hear the odd power 'dip', but I'm not sure if this is just the machine.

After pruchasing it and spending some time on these forums. It appears to me that the CW is a very fragile machine. I read a lot about people sending back for repair, etc. You can't do that if you are outside the states and so my advice would be NOT to import one to Europe. Invest in a CNC machine locally. I only bought mine because the price was low enough to warrant it.

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Because of the way the power supply works, it will handle the 50 HZ OK and still make the correct power if you use a transformer. It monitors the output and makes it correct.

The Cut Motor will be lacking slightly with 50 HZ using a transformer. It has been shown that it will work at 50 HZ just fine.

The Circuit Board standards are tighter on the other side of the pond from what Greybeard was telling me years ago. We use too much lead solder in the boards.

AL

Hexe SA
05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd like to get a Carvewright for use in Europe. Before purchasing one, I'd like to ensure that I can get a power supply for it. Have you actually run the CW using one of the power converters you point to? And, could you repost the model number -- the ebay listing has expired.

Thanks for your help!

I know there is one in Norway that bought a new one and hooked it to a decent transformer. His only complaint was the shipping cost. At 70 lbs ( approx 32 kg) it was very expensive. US postal service will not ship it because of the dimension of the box, so it goes FedX or UPS and they only do airfreight international. You figure the cost even if you get it on ebay. Yes you may also get hazzle about the lead and heavy metals.
Eva

wizer
05-24-2010, 04:42 AM
If you want the CW bad enough then shipping it to you shouldn't be too much of a problem. The issue comes if you ever have to send it back for repeair. 2 way shipping will be costly. If it has to go back three times then you might awell have bought a CNC machine locally.

Do LHR even uphold the warranty on exported units??

lawrence
05-24-2010, 08:14 AM
More experienced folks, please chime in on this one if I'm wrong. 99% of the things that can go wrong can be fixed from the users end with an OEM replacement and without sending it back... I just wanted to make sure all the facts are on the table before you make a decision.

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
05-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree, short of a broken frame, it all just components that you can replace when you get the parts.

As for LHR honoring the warranty, staff might chime in on the topic, but I bet they won't. Don't think they will encourage overseas sales for legal reasons. So I would expect they will not go on record to support the overseas machine.

Your best bet is to order the machine from someone like Little Red and at that time purchase the following spare parts.

Flex Shaft Assembly.
Power Supply
4 sets of Sand Paper Belts
2 FSC Cable
Board Detector
2 sets Cut Motor Brushes
Y Idle Gear, The sprocket gear on the right side.

You can skip buying the power supply if you buy a ROCK or CT right from the start. The QC will vibrate and cause the Power Supply and Board Detector to go bad.

250 cut Motor hours replace cut motor brushes
500 cut Motor hours replace cut motor brushes AND the 2 Y Gear Box Bearings.

Repeat...

Good Luck,

AL