PDA

View Full Version : STUMPED!! No y or z reading

Shawnf2
11-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm totally stumped here.My machine is getting no y or z readings i try to start anything and get an immediate z axis stall error 309 with only a small jerk from the z truck.I've changed the controller $300 cuz it got fried somehow,the z and y circuit board $5 plus shipping the ffc cable $2 bucks plus ship, the z motor pack 4get the price on that one.

I could of bought a dang new machine for all this LHR keeps sending me parts to fix the problem and its still not fixed bout to send this thing to the scrap yard.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Shawn

c6craig
11-23-2009, 08:38 AM
For my 2 cents, have they checked your power supply? From what I have seen, if you had an issue bad enough to toast your controller, you may have an issue with the power supply.

Do a search on L2 power supply or power supply coil, AL (digitalwoodshop) has posted some excellent pictures and advice on checking power supplies. There is an issue with one of the coils working one of the solder joints loose and sounds like it could cause your problem. Everything looks ok, but once the machine has any real movement it's enough to cause the joint to come apart....

Good luck,

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2009, 10:58 AM
When it happened to ME is was a pinched wire on the Board Detector wires.

If you pull too hard the wires slide down the side of the plastic retainer and then pinch to the point that the sharp edge cuts into the plastic insulation of the board sensor wires. MY result was NO Board Sensor Readings, NO Z DATA, NO Y DATA.... Sounds like you replaced the computer and still have the problem....

That could have been you ONLY problem all along, a pinched wire and was missed by the Tech reading from a play book.

To troubleshoot it all you need to do is unplug the cable on top (Picture 1) and look and see if the Z Data comes back. Installing the FSC Cable with the exposed contacts flipped 180 degrees can do the same thing.... The FSC Cable only has contacts on one side. You CAN put the plastic covered side in preventing the power from getting to the Z. But if the Z moves ANY then it must be installed correct and looking at the Board Detector cable is your first job.

It could also be the board that the FSC cable plugs into also.

And you DO have the new Z Bundle. The Z Motor you removed had SHORT fins correct? Just making sure you did not install a new 14 pin cable in a old 16 pin socket.... Look at the new and OLD FSC Board which one do you have?

AL

Shawnf2
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I unplugged the board sensor wire same outcome and then the z bundle wire itself just to try and get a y reading still nothing,wierd cuz i know powers to them the z truck jerks once like it wants to start and when moving the y direction its stiff.

Shawn

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Then we are down to the board that the FSC cable plugs into, the one in the picture with the Wings...

Your board does have the wing clips like the circuit board in the picture?

If that didn't do it then Craig is on the right track.... The Power Supply is bad... Most likely not the L2 as it would be dead... More likely one of the 2 voltages it makes is bad.

AL

Shawnf2
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Thinking the power supply too,put a new board on saturday.

c6craig
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for stepping in AL, you are definitely the guru on these machines!

Shawnf2 - just make sure you check the cabling is right and the FSC connector is going the right way (like AL said). I would hate for it to be a simple thing and push you towards a power supply. i was just sharing my experience on my machine, that's all. ALWAYS take AL's advice and help over most, he has been around and helping people for some time now, his knowledge on these things is pretty impressive...

Craig

Shawnf2
11-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Guess I'll order one of those now geez shoulda just bought a new machine.
Thanks Craig and Al for your help its much appreciated I was getting nowhere.

Shawn

c6craig
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM
For info -

Last time I ordered one (10-8-09) a power supply was $135.00 with a $40 core return.

(MWM A2038 Power Supply Electronic Board).

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
My advice is always free too.... Even if I am WRONG...:-D

Snicker...

I am always available by phone too... Number in on the bottom of my website.... I am usually in the shop from 9 AM to Midnight almost 7 days a week....

I have a Magic Jack and can call you back for free.

AL

M. Kiker
11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I purchased a unit from Sears (New) a few years ago. I finaly got it out of the box to work on a new project. I have not been able to finish a carve yet. I continue to get stalls and Y-Axis error code 299.

I noticed the sand belt is tracking to far to the left and has a very small tear on the edge causing it to hit the board sensor. Also I have my rubber O-ring missing from my board sensor. Does anybody know what size O ring came with this machine and how I might fix my belt issue?

I called Tech support and they want to charge me just to tell me what I need to purchase to fix the problem.

dbfletcher
11-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I purchased a unit from Sears (New) a few years ago. I finaly got it out of the box to work on a new project. I have not been able to finish a carve yet. I continue to get stalls and Y-Axis error code 299.

I noticed the sand belt is tracking to far to the left and has a very small tear on the edge causing it to hit the board sensor. Also I have my rubber O-ring missing from my board sensor. Does anybody know what size O ring came with this machine and how I might fix my belt issue?

I called Tech support and they want to charge me just to tell me what I need to purchase to fix the problem.

Mkae sure the o-ring didnt just simply get pushed under the plate on the tracking roller. I have found that mine does that occasionally. Spin the brass roller.... if you feel any drag that is most likely what happened.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2009, 01:30 PM

You have your homework cut out for yourself. Lots of reading to do on the forum and Tips and Tricks.

Your unit might also have the OLD Z motor and if you read the forum about the "New Z Bundle" you will find a bunch of info. Use a " " on each side of the search word.

As for your Y Stall, most likely dirty rails, dirty bearings, dirty Y Belt, dirty Right Idle Pulley. The Sawdust and humidity make for a sticky mess.

And upgrade to the latest Designer software. 1.153

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
11-25-2009, 03:57 PM

O-ring size available at 'any' Home Center:

7/16" O.D x 5/16" I.D.