PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a DC

Nu2WW
11-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Is it ok to attach a DC to the compucarve? I know in the instructions it says to use low pressure when blowing out dust to avoid damaging the electrical components. I have a Delta 50-760 1.5 HP. I was thinking of just removing the fabric from the dust bag and attaching the hose to that.

Thanks

c6craig
11-23-2009, 12:41 AM
It's my understanding that very little dust comes out of the little fabric "dust collector" in the back of the machine, it is actually called a muffler in the parts lists.

Real dust collection for the CW either comes from underneath in the form of a downdraft table, or if you want even better there are a few guys on here that sell front mount dust collectors with a little modification to the plastic door.

Good luck,
Craig

c6craig
11-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Here are a few to get you started:

FWHARRIS
http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

ASKBUD
http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=19653&cat=261&page=2

I'm sure I am leaving someone out...no offense intended...people feel free to chime in and fill in the blanks in my knowledge...

Craig

fwharris
11-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Nu2WW,

Like Craig posted the muffler is not a good area for hooking up a dust collector. It is more for catching the fine dust the cut motor exhausts out and muffles the sound of the cut motor.

Do a search on the forum for "dust collection" and "dust collectors". There are many posts and images of what others are doing to reduce and eliminate the dust in the machine. A lot of great ideas ;) and concepts!!

Nu2WW
11-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replies and the links. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_112009.htm

c6craig
11-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I have seen people mount a small piece of clear tubing like that (Maybe 5/8" ?), but I don't think there is any way you will get a 2 1/2" piece of flex hose in there with all those moving parts. The issue is that the Z Truck has to be able to hit to both far sides.

Also- I will throw this caution out in case you are not familiar with dust collection and are doing some testing of your own..do a search on dust collection here on the forums...there are many discussions on static electricity in regards to dust collection (especially plastic hoses and fittings) and the dangers they pose to the electronics of the machine.

Craig

c6craig
11-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Keep this in mind also - I am just offering you advice based on what I have seen and read from others. I am not even running a dust collection system on mine yet (i know i know :) ).

AskBud, FwHarris, and recently Frederick_P have all made excellent posts and are probably the "go to guys" for dust collection questions. AskBud and FwHarris both sell a kit for dust collector, and Frederick_P has made and offered up schematics for what appears to be an excellent system.

Good luck,
Craig

hess
11-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I have seen people mount a small piece of clear tubing like that (Maybe 5/8" ?), but I don't think there is any way you will get a 2 1/2" piece of flex hose in there with all those moving parts. The issue is that the Z Truck has to be able to hit to both far sides.

Also- I will throw this caution out in case you are not familiar with dust collection and are doing some testing of your own..do a search on dust collection here on the forums...there are many discussions on static electricity in regards to dust collection (especially plastic hoses and fittings) and the dangers they pose to the electronics of the machine.

Craig

the way to deal with SE is to use the clear DC hose with the wire in it and the metal dust gates and connector woodcraft has them. This ground the uint to the dc