PDA

View Full Version : cutout stepping

jab73180
11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
hey all,
my machine is working well after i put on a new FCC cable and Z encoder motor. i did have a problem with my cutouts though. i have the cutout setup to cut 1/4" each cut. the board seemed to have moved to the left on each pass leaving a step look, in turn leaving my patterns not quite centered to the cutouts. it must be something to do with the brass roller i guess, i didnt look to see if the o ring was there, but i know it was there when i started the project. i was carving the tic tac toe board, and the only other thing is for some reason it never let me change back to the cutting bit. it wasnt an error, maybe i didnt get to it in time to change bits so it went back to the main menu?? can it or does it do that?? i went into designer and deleted all the carvings and just left the cutouts and let it finish. i never got an error on the project, so could it be something in designer that screwed me up?? any help would be good.

JOHNB
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
did you leave 3.5" on each end? somewhere you lost contact with the brass roller.

c6craig
11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
it wasnt an error, maybe i didnt get to it in time to change bits so it went back to the main menu?? can it or does it do that??

I have left projects to run while I left the house and came back hours later to do the bit change, never had any issues or defaulting back to the project menu. I don't know that helps, but it may point you somewhere else for troubleshooting ideas...

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
MasKing Tape is the key... It gives the brass roller something to bit into... I am guessing the wood is hard maple?

If the error is in the length of the board then it is a X Problem... Loss of contact with the roller... If you don't have a sled or 3.5 inches extra of wood the board comes out from under the roller and tips up loosing contact with the brass roller. This is the source of the error as the machine will keep moving the board until the brass roller reads the correct reading. This results in the GAP....

The forward belt under the cut motor can ride toward the keypad and roll under. I had this happen and got a Brass Roller error as the rolled over part is lifting the board higher and the brass roller looses contact...

It is hard to see the rolled over sand paper belt, look at the far side and compare the position to the other belt's location on the far side. I cut a 1 inch strip from the forward belt. Works fine.

Your head might not be level too.... Measure or use the Z Data and a board to measure it in 3 places.

In Feed or Out Feed tables could be out of adjustment.

Masking tape... Bet that fixes it...

AL

jab73180
11-23-2009, 04:40 AM
i think i found the problem with the help of you guys. i did have 7 inches of extra board, actually i had more like 7 inches on each end. i kinda blamed it on the board, but didnt know why til now. when i looked at the board, i only made sure one end was true. looking down the edge it was fine, and looking at one end it was fine. well stupid me i should have looked at the other end, the board had a descent amount of cup to it just on one end. i bet thats my problem, but if you guys want to help me confirm.

AL the wood i am using is just pine, do you still recommend masking tape on such a soft wood.

when the tech and i were diagnosing my Z problem we made sure the belts were ok too.

i take it my head is level because my carves dont dive at all from keypad side to the other side.

the in feed and out feed tables are fine, if there is something rolling across them, i can push down very slightly and the roller stops moving. does anyone take these off, they seem like more of a hinderence than anything. if you have a long project you need big ones out further anyway.

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Sounds like you have the problem licked....

I use MasKing Tape on every project, and I do 99.9% Pine.... Last Oak was the Fire Fair project a year and a half ago. Some Cedar Deck Board Signs.

A Board Foot of Masking Tape is cheaper than a Board Foot of wood....

One spoiled board could buy you a whole roll of bargain basement masking tape.

AL

jab73180
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanx everyone