PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it in top shape

Frederick_P
11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Well, I have only had my machine since July but the last time I checked, I just crossed over 250 hours. So at what point would it be a good idea to start replacing parts as a preventative measure? Cut motor brushes? Gears? Is there a list of parts that one should order for a machine tune-up?

Everything is working fine. I just put the machine away and now I am assembling some new cabinets based on the carvings I have done, but since I will not need the machine for a few weeks, I thought maybe this would be a good time to order any parts and give it the once over before firing it up again.

Is there such a thing as a "refurb kit"?

Digitalwoodshop
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I would order the cut motor brushes as at about 250 hours it will fail to start and snap that $40.00 Cut Path bit... So order a Cut Bit and Brushes.

I would have a X Drive Gear, but it will only break if you get a jam.
The FSC Cable will only flex so many times and having one is good....

Sand Paper Belts or get the new Kevlar belts.

AL

Frederick_P
11-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks, Al! I will get those parts and replace the cut motor brushes before I start my next run of carvings. I will wait until the other parts fail before replacing them.

Regards,
Frederick

Gerald Bennett
11-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Is there a post someplace that would tell us new owners the best way to clean the machine between carvings, such as the no man's land I saw in one topic. I haven't found a topic on specific cleaning tips and would think a comprehensive list would be helpful. The maintenance steps shown in the users video don't get very specific on what and how to clean it.

jab73180
11-28-2009, 08:03 AM
use the search feature and be sure to include "quotations". if you search for "regular maintenance" you will see a thread that i started with tips and tricks to look at and some peoples own tips and tricks.

Is there a post someplace that would tell us new owners the best way to clean the machine between carvings, such as the no man's land I saw in one topic. I haven't found a topic on specific cleaning tips and would think a comprehensive list would be helpful. The maintenance steps shown in the users video don't get very specific on what and how to clean it.

PCW
11-28-2009, 08:07 AM
There is a video on the web page that goes into cleaning the CarveWright.

http://www.wood-carving-machine-tips.com/wood-carving/tutorials.html

James RS
11-28-2009, 08:33 AM
There is a video on the web page that goes into cleaning the CarveWright.

http://www.wood-carving-machine-tips.com/wood-carving/tutorials.html

I've tried watching those videos, but they're all bunched up. It looks like the page isn't loading correctly, I don't have that problem on any other site, is there another link for those videos?

PCW
11-28-2009, 08:41 AM
James

Try going straight to youtube. Notice that there are several videos on the page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LKDPR78HaI&feature=related