PDA

View Full Version : Splintering

jussi
11-20-2009, 06:04 PM
I've only done a few projects. Mostly text and a few simple drawings. Is it normal to have so much splintering. Not even sure if that's the right word for it. Basically lots of wood fibers around the edges of the carving. Happens mostly in text. Is it dull bits or is this normal?

www.go3d.us
11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
It is normal. Mostly on soft wood like pine. It can be sand off easily with a coat of sanding sealer.

AskBud
11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
I've only done a few projects. Mostly text and a few simple drawings. Is it normal to have so much splintering. Not even sure if that's the right word for it. Basically lots of wood fibers around the edges of the carving. Happens mostly in text. Is it dull bits or is this normal?

What kind of wood are you using?
Is your text Raster or centerline?
If Raster, how deep are you going?
If it's Raster, are you using a "Draft" on your text?
It would be nice to see your MPC, so we may evaluate everything.
AskBud

jussi
11-20-2009, 08:09 PM
What kind of wood are you using?
Is your text Raster or centerline?
If Raster, how deep are you going?
If it's Raster, are you using a "Draft" on your text?
It would be nice to see your MPC, so we may evaluate everything.
AskBud

Do you need just the screen shot or the actual file?

AskBud
11-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Do you need just the screen shot or the actual file?

The MPC file is best.
A photo of the actual carve might be nice as well (but not necessary).
AskBud

jussi
11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Here you go.

I'm going .125 deep on a .75 thick board. I'm not sure if I'm using raster or centerline. To be honest I'm not sure what they are. I'm using Borg poplar for now so I can practice.

Thanks for the tip about sanding sealer. I've never used it before. Any tips on how to apply? Should I use sparingly or liberally?

AskBud
11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
You are using Raster on a very small text. I presume that your problem is with the Church name.
I made that text larger and applied a "Centerline" carve (it uses the 60 degree bit). See how this test carve works. Do not change anything, just test it on your scrap wood.

The $100.00 cost for your own Centerline will pay for itself in no time, should you elect to do more small signs or plaques.
AskBud