PDA

View Full Version : edge routing and shelf holes

Dan-Woodman
06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Britt
I've been having trouble with the edge routing feature,the far side and the right endlook good . The near side and left end are not deep enough,or maybe the bits not close enough to the wood.I wasn't too concered with it as I'm using bits I already own. I tried a 1/4" roundover and a 1/2" roundover. I sent you the error codes also from this operation,but one of them acted like it did'nt go thru,so I had to cancel it.thanks for the help
Is any progress being made on the oval hole matter,I have a kitchen cabinet job coming up and was going to use the cw for the shelf bracket holes.
This is a fantastic machine for making shelf bracket holes,the only thing is does the motor have to stop after every hole. It drills one hole, stops ,move 1 1/2" and drills another ,stops etc.
Later Daniel in Mo.

cmorlier
06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Daniel,

Try running the "Calibrate Offsets" item from the "Options" menu. This will recalibrate the sensor offsets (much like you do with a printer), so that the machine will measure the board edges more accurately.

What type of errors did you receive?

Are you running version 1.028 or 1.029? 1.029 fixed a bug in the 1.028 version that caused an error message when ever traces were sent to us, but we do receive the trace.

We are still working on the oval hole problem. If you are drilling 1/8" holes, then the drill function should work fine with the cutting bit. It is only holes that are larger than 1/8" that should have the oval problem (smaller holes aren't a problem, because a 1/8" bit doesn't do smaller very well ).

Dan-Woodman
06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
I download the updates as soon as I find them. which I did for 1029. however the error codes on the memory card said they was 1028.
The errors I receved were---5 of them were z-axis stall ---5of them were edge detection failed --1 was fatal error. I will try the calibrate offsets and try again thanks so much.
I just now drilled some shelf pin holes and its still doing the oval thing even with the 1/8" bit , you can see the sandpaper jog back and forth as it is drilling. I drilled these holes with the 1/8" and then replaced the bit with a 1/4" and the same results with both.

cmorlier
06-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Okay, that sounds like a bug. If the bit you use to drill a hole is the same size as the hole, there should not be any X or Y motion; it should all be straight up and down.

I will look into that.

cmorlier
06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
I see your edge detection failed traces, and it looks like you are just not getting enough range on the sensor. Typically, this is caused by the sensor just needing to be cleaned, but there are other possible causes such as darker woods.

Dan-Woodman
06-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Chris
I was practicining on 3/4" MDF and also a 2x4 pine . The edge rout did the same thing . The far side and the right end look good , the near side and the left end are not deep enough or not close enough to the board.
I did the "calibrate offsets" like you suggested. It asked for a 3/8" bit,cut a slot in the side of the board.measured it cut again,measured it etc. then it routed along the edge of the board a ways on the far side ,then routed a section on the near side . then stopped and said check board censor , then it wouldn't do any more
Is this all it is suppose to do . I tried to edge rout again and the same thing happened right end and far side OK the other two not enough like before. Thanks for the help.

cmorlier
06-15-2006, 05:26 PM
The calibrate sensor procedure is trying to calibrate the board measurement sensor. It does this by measuring and taking a cut (really more of a jointing/squaring pass), and remeasuring. It compares the change in edge location to the expected change and figures out how much it is off. So it should always cut something on both sides of the board and both sides of the slot.

If it said check board sensor, then it failed due to a sensor problem. Make sure your board sensor is clean and check the levels as described in previous posts. If you find the levels are bad and cleaning doesn't help, give us a call.

Dan-Woodman
06-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Chris
what it did was cut it cut into the edge of the board on the near side at the board sensor location about 3/8" in from the edge and about 2" long. I think there wasn't any wood on the sensor.
talk to ya later I'm on vac for a week.

cmorlier
06-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I guess I am not quite understanding you. Are you saying it only cuts the slot?

I guess I should have explained in my previous post about the slot. The slot is cut so that we can simulate end of board measurements without having to move the entire length of the board, and while staying on the board tracking sensor (for greater accuracy).

Dan-Woodman
06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
after it cut the slot across the board, it went to the near edge and cut a slot the length of the board about 2" .it was 3/4" deep and about 3/8" in from the edge. Therefore when the board moved, this slot in the edge of the board was over the board sensor roller , not letting it make contact with the roller. It cut this slot ( the length of the board ) on both sides
of the board as to measure the width of the board.

cmorlier
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
So the first pass along the length on the near edge cut 3/8" into the edge? If so, then it sounds like your calibration was really bad. The Sensor Calibration routine was made to handle relatively small corrections, so if that is you are seeing, then we will have to think about how to handle it.

How many passes does it make (or attempt to make on the two cuts along the length? Would it be possible to attach a picture of what the board looks like when you complete the calibration?

Dan-Woodman
06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Chris
I won't be back to my machine till late tommorrow, I'm not real good at the picture thing , but I will try. It does make several passes. I don't think it completed the calibration because it alarmed out because of the board sensor roller not touching the edge of the board after it cut the groove. later Daniel

Dan-Woodman
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
update --- I'm back home,I tried running the calibration again this time it done lots better It took about 12 passes to do the slot across the board,2" in from the edge . then it ran about 2" along the length on the far side then ran about 2" along the near side making only 2 passes this time and stopped as to be at the end of the program. The roundover looks better ,still on the left end its not as deep as it could be but Ithink it's from not being under thr rollers. I was running a piece of MDF board . Thanks for the help