PDA

View Full Version : Does it Just Happen Sometimes?

Smoken D
11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Been having lots of trouble with my CW. Yesterday while carving the long side of the Neo box around 47% through the bit cut through the top of the side, went up and gave Y axis stall. Of course ya lose the project. Cleaned up the machine and no problem with truck movement. Today checked options and 7 and wrote down results. Called the Co. and had me go through the checks again. Final say was---"Sometimes it just happens". Glad I am still under warranty and didn't pay the $25 for the advice.
Anyway the question is, Does it just happen sometimes? Do you guys with a lot of expirence have the machine quit in a project, lose it, and you never know why? Thanks in advance for the responses!

mtylerfl
11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Been having lots of trouble with my CW. Yesterday while carving the long side of the Neo box around 47% through the bit cut through the top of the side, went up and gave Y axis stall. Of course ya lose the project. Cleaned up the machine and no problem with truck movement. Today checked options and 7 and wrote down results. Called the Co. and had me go through the checks again. Final say was---"Sometimes it just happens". Glad I am still under warranty and didn't pay the $25 for the advice.
Anyway the question is, Does it just happen sometimes? Do you guys with a lot of expirence have the machine quit in a project, lose it, and you never know why? Thanks in advance for the responses!

Well, I've not had anything "just happen", thankfully. Only reason I can think of for a random occurrence like that would be an electrical spike or brown out or some other type of power issue. Otherwise, most odd behavior will often have a root cause that needs to be dealt with and corrected.

If it doesn't happen again, good. If it is a repeat offense, then you'll need to do some detective work. One thing - make sure your machine is running on its own circuit with no other appliances. Not doing so can lead to odd problems that escape normal explanation.

seabass
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I find anything electronic sometimes stuff just happens.

Read through the forums you will find guys getting 1/2 way through a carving, something goes wrong and then they go on to use the machine again for 100's of hours with no issues.

So YES sometimes shit happens for no apparent reason with these machines.

Smoken D
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Michael T;
Yes, I have only 1 outlet that I use for this machine, nothing else on that circuit.
Seabass;
What I am trying to find out, does it happed frequently, should I expect a lot of stuff happens to this machine.

Smoken D
11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Was carving the project again. Same problem around the same completion and even a lot worse. LHR looking into it at this time and sent them lots of photos of parts that got damaged.:(

DocWheeler
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Smoken D,

What version of the software/firmware are you using?

Smoken D
11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Ken;

87.44 hrs on machine

leroy
01-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I had been having problems with my machine giving Power Fluctuation errors when measuring boards . I installed a new power supply on as suggested by LHR with no change then put in the new controller and had the same problem. This only happened when the Y truck was moving across the board to measure it. I felt like there might be a problem with that truck. When I moved it across by hand I could feel just a little jerk sometimes. I took the Servo & gear head out and found that saw dust had gotten behind the clear plastic dust shield. This was binding the gears in the gear head. I cleaned this and have not had any more problems. Thought this might be helpful to someone having this type problem. I guess this added enough extra load to cause the error massage. Has anyone else had or heard of this happening?

scoobie_6
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi,I had read the forums and have seen alot of great things this machine can do.i have been trying to decide for about 3 months now weather to buy one or not..i have heard alot of bad reviews on the net but they all seem to be when the machine first came out. can anyone tell me how you have made out with your machines and is it worth it? and info would be great:confused:

drexydefighter
01-25-2010, 12:47 AM
well this machine is addictive... hehehe

no complain

gfbentz
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
My new (Purchased May 2010) Machine ran fine out of the box, for about a week. Then it started shutting itself down after a few minutes. Sent power supply out, two week later I get a replacement. put in in. Ran fine for about an hour then quit due to power fluctuations. I have it on a dedicated circuit with a power strip designed to prevent spikes. Started it again. Ran for a minute then died and I have not got it to run since. When I checked the piece I was carving the quality was horrible. Checked the chuck and carving bit. The bit had dents on the collarwhere it inserts into the chuck, and further investigation revealed that the bit was now loose in the chuck. It wasn't loose when I started, I always wiggle and tug the bits to make sure they are properly fitted.

Bottom line, VERY unhappy with it right now. I had big plans to upgrade to the new carvetight chuck system once it was up and running again, so the problems with the so-called easy load chuck (which I hated from the word go) don't bother me so much. But now I'm having second thoughts about keeping this machine.

When it did work, it ws great. But it keeps shaking itself apart. I am(or was) constantly retightening screws that just keep shaking loose.

Smoken D
06-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Believe I had the same happen to me back in November. Chuck system came loose and hopefully attached is a photo of the dents. To make a long story short I ended up purchasing the ROCK CHUCK from Ron Justice and a dust collector system from Floyd at Ring Neck Blues. That was over 100 hours of carving ago and have not had a problem since. The Rock eliminates vibration and the DC takes care of the dust, the two biggest problems that harm the machine.http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/dradbrown/BitAdapter.jpg

gfbentz
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
That is EXACTLY what happened to my bit. Thats why I want to switch to the carvetite. But if the machine wont run, whats the point?

Believe I had the same happen to me back in November. Chuck system came loose and hopefully attached is a photo of the dents. To make a long story short I ended up purchasing the ROCK CHUCK from Ron Justice and a dust collector system from Floyd at Ring Neck Blues. That was over 100 hours of carving ago and have not had a problem since. The Rock eliminates vibration and the DC takes care of the dust, the two biggest problems that harm the machine.http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/dradbrown/BitAdapter.jpg

gfbentz
06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I was poking around my machine (which wont run) so I laid it on the back, removed the bottom plate to check for loose connections for the umpteenth time. Just to see what happened, I plugged it in while it was on its back, flicked the power switch on, and lo! it turned on! I turned it off and returned it to operatong position, hit the switch and it was dead again. Tried a coupla times, and it went on again. Now I can't get a bit into the chuck.

BTW I am using a replacement power connector (with the red yelo black wire s) that they supplied with the new(?) power supply. I think its a rebuilt power supply, its got scratches around the screw holes and big gobs of rubbery goo on some of the connections.

Gonna dowmload instructions for cleaning and troubleshooting the chuck, if its got a short somewhere, I'll never find it.

DocWheeler
06-06-2010, 06:26 PM
gfbentz,

I think that Al will stop in here and tell you about his discovery about the L2 coil (or was it the L1 coil). Anyway, you can search for Al's post about a broken lead to the coil here on the forum. Also explains that the machine will act exactly as you described.

AskBud
06-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is the link to Al's post.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=131102&postcount=10