PDA

View Full Version : photos on plastic

David M.
06-08-2006, 11:55 PM
I've seen the sample's of the photo's done on plastic but has anyone done any tests to see the real life results?

azunino
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I am curious about this one myself. I have ordered some acrlyic to run off some samples. I would be curious to know how the sample was done on the cw website. Specifically, what values were used for the depth and height. Also, was the carving done on the front, or on the back with the image reversed?

Andre

David M.
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I saw a thread in here reciently, spacificlly about the sample picture but I can't find it to show you right now. Look through the verous threads and exactly what you are looking for is in there, somewhere within the last week or two.

I recall it said shallower is better than deeper, they used polycarbonate plastic, it is second surface (if you know that term) and it is backlighted. They warned of the threads of plastic clogging up the tip if your not careful, stop and check as your running. I have a customer who offered the plastic to me I just haven't picked any up yet.

So many test, so little time.

azunino
06-12-2006, 04:16 PM
David,

I know the thread you are talking about. That is why I am experimenting with the acrylic. It was a little cheaper, and easier to get then the polycarbonate. I hope the results are similar. I had tried a photograph on some pine over the weekend and while the picture was accurate, the depth in certain areas just didn't look right.

I think your other thread about using a bw photograph instead of color is on the right track. I did some experimenting with that within the software and the simulated results do look better. I had always thought that the cw software was doing a color to bw conversion, but the results importing the same picture in bw vs. color are very different.

Andre

David M.
06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
It's not just using b/w but using the spacific setting of NEGITIVE, (as in photo negitive) it limits the shades of grey even further than b/w does. I have a Sony camera that has this setting in with sepia tone and b/w etc. It doesn't fix the problem you discribed but it does help a great deal.
Get you in the ball park so to speak.

It still see's white as the highest point and black as the deepest, there are 256 shades of grey between those two points to assign depth too, that's a lot of room for misinterpretation. But I must say with all the stuff I've run it does a great job and is far better than I could hope to do by hand, and no one said you can't tweek it after the CW is done with it.

goz
12-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I ran some photos last week in cast acrylic. Cast is specifically better to use than extruded as it has better density and will not heat up as it is being carved. Poly Carb is still the best as your final piece will be a lot more durable (go ahead, shoot it).

The effect even with clear is that of lithophane, i.e. darker areas are cut less and lighter cut deeper. When backlighted the image is great. The advantage of using clear is that less light is needed to view the image. With a dark surface behind the image it is discernable.

I advise removing the protective paper from the side that is to be carved and then hit it with a quick coat of primer so that the sensors can see the surface. A quick shot of paint thinner will remove th primer when done.

To remove excess frost from the carving...lightly pass a propane torch or heat gun over the surface to melt off the fur. Use caution (go easy) as over agressive torching will melt your work (oops). This technique works well as long as one uses quick passes checking the results between passes.

hartwoods
12-03-2006, 02:42 PM
done in 1/4 x12x12 white corian. cut 1/8 deep. don

john e kline
06-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I carved a photo in 1/8" using a depth of .09" and was impressed. However should I use 1/4" and carve deeper?:)

Hawg_man
06-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Having carved in corian, poly carb, delrin and some others I find Delrin to be ideal but as for thickness I would think it depends on how you want to use the carving.
I use 1/8 thick Delrin which is pliable for using in curved fixtures such as light shades etc. I like the Delrin which is white and translucent rather than a clear because it tends to hide your backlight and inside of the mounting.
As for depth I carve it 80% of the thickness of my material (.125 @ .080/.090 depth). I convert the image to grayscale and invert prior to importing into Designer.
Delrin is also self lubricating so no buildup on the cutter. Again I think it depends on how you want to use the finished piece in selecting the material to be carved..........just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

Paul Wheeler
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Can anyone tell me a good source for Corian or Delrin?
I did a quick search and found mostly contertops for Corian and the sites that had Delrin seemed quite expensive.

Thanks,

Paul

HillBilly
06-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Paul,

Here`s a few quick hype-links to some of suppliers for what you`r looking for. I hope you find this helpful.

United States Plastic Corp - Delrin White Sheet Goods (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=8765&product%5Fid=10586)

Professional Plastics (http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/3/sesent/00)

As for the Corian, the best advice I can offer is to check around your local area for a distributer (dealer). you might find the Du Pont website (http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/where_to_buy/index.html) helpful in locating one in your area. The 1/4 inch is mostly used as a wall covering in bathrooms and does not require the "training", as does the 1/2 stock.

Hawg_man
06-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Paul
1/4" Corian runs around $4-5 square Ft and 1/8" Delrin around $8-9 square Ft. I buy my Delrin at McMasterCarr,com and have bought Corian on e-bay. There is some Corian on e-bay now - 8 sheets for $42 (1 square Ft each). Cost is reasonable as most Photo carvings are 8' x 10" or less in size.

Bob

menewfy
06-23-2007, 06:36 PM
a couple of things to think about

corian is a brand only supplied by dupont but there are others out there just like them but not as well known.

the one I get from my local kitchen guy is staron

they usually have small pieces that are cut offs so stop by and ask them if they can spare some.

solid colors especially white is better than speckled.

as far as lexan or plexi you do not need to go deep at all as long as the whole carving goes below the surface so it is all frosted (even if there are small areas that did not go in just scuff them in the same direction as carving and they will not be able to tell). this is the most common material I use and it gives great quality and detail.

good luck
Tim

Paul Wheeler
06-23-2007, 07:57 PM
just want to say thanks fo the info.

Still waiting for my CC.
Hope to have it by next weekend. Already have too many things I want to try. Sure wish working didn't interupt play so much.

eharsin21
11-14-2007, 04:51 AM
What is the best backlighting technique for photo engravings in plastics? Say a 24" x 12" wooden framed picture box?

HighTechOkie
11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I would look into cold cathode lights. These are big in the pc modding scene. Here is one example. Dual Cold Cathode $9.99 (http://www.crazypc.com/products/8240W.html)
These run off 12v DC, so you will need to get a small transformer. They also make them in 6" length, just have to search the net.

for a 24x12 area, I would probably recommend 4 tubes. They are bright, but you need all the light you can to backlight a litho.

dougmsbbs
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM
You might want to check out a LED light from Lowes. It cost a bit more ($16.00) but for smaller sized boxes works great. It has 20 white LED's in it, and is meant for accent lighting under kitchen cabinets.
I 'm working with one in a 7 inch by 6 inch box, and the lighting is uniform throughout. It's shaped like a small dome, so it spreads the light out fairly well. It also runs real cool, and you don't need a power supply.

maddog1953
03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I am interested in learning how to do the carving on plasict (corian). I have an excellent camera but have a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give me tips on how to get started. Will I need Photoshop? If interested in helping, please email me at btalala@totelcsi.com. Would really appreciate it.

jaustin
03-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I am interested in learning how to do the carving on plasict (corian). I have an excellent camera but have a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give me tips on how to get started. Will I need Photoshop? If interested in helping, please email me at btalala@totelcsi.com. Would really appreciate it.

Have you looked at tips and tricks area?
ISSUE 16 January 2009 – Lithopane (Lithophane) Carving 10 (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan09.pdf)
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan09.pdf

CarverJerry
03-27-2011, 06:54 PM
I posted a few pics on photobucket of my first lithopane box using LED's that I purchased off eBay. This may give you some ideas and I will up date the site here soon showing my latest lay out of LED's.....no heat and the low voltage makes it safe around kids and pets.
http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/CarverJerry/Lightbox%20for%20Lithopanes/

CarverJerry

CarverJerry
04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I just posted a recent set of pictures on my photobucket site using different LED's than my other ones. You can use the link from my previous reply on this thread. I got these lights off eBay and they come on a reel, are bright white, 12 volt DC. This will let you see what kind you like best and do a compairason. I purchased some cedar shadowboxes from one of our members, David Greer. He did a wonderul job making these for me, the price is so good I couldn't buy the material for what he charged me. I would highly recommend him if you are interested in cedar lithopane boxes as we have worked out all the details for 5 X 7 and 8 X 10 lithos. His user name here is "lilskip". He is also putting his life on the line for all of us as he is in the Marines. Thanks David, not only for my shadowboxes but for our freedom.

CarverJerry

lilskip
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
WOW Jerry those light do work alot better than the others. How are they attached to the box, Stapled, glued, or do they have a sticky side to them. Thanks for the props on the boxes I'm glad you like them.

CarverJerry
04-03-2011, 09:57 AM
There is a piece of double back tape that comes on the lights, and I also used a few dabs of hot glue just to make sure they don't come loose. I did not adhear the bottom side, that way I can always change out the lithopane, besides once the picture is in place there isn't any way to get to it.

CJ