PDA

View Full Version : Right tool for me?

Mike O'Melia
11-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I want to be able to engrave peghead plates with my logo (guitars). There are other small appications, but that is the primary one. Is this the right tool for me?

BTW, once one has created a detailed "inlay" carving, can one use the CW to create the inlay itself? I realize there may be limits as to the "smallness" of detail... just wondering.

I have looked at lasers, CNC, etc. Its all too expensive and overkill.

Mike

hess
11-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I want to be able to engrave peghead plates with my logo (guitars). There are other small appications, but that is the primary one. Is this the right tool for me?

BTW, once one has created a detailed "inlay" carving, can one use the CW to create the inlay itself? I realize there may be limits as to the "smallness" of detail... just wondering.

I have looked at lasers, CNC, etc. Its all too expensive and overkill.

Mike

Mike a good man here goes by LG Liquid guitars he is the man to ask. he has a web site called what else Liquid guitars

hogiewan
11-19-2009, 06:23 AM
it can be done, but there are probably better tools for that job. If you want a machine to actually cut out the guitar, this will do it, but it takes some adjusting to get right.

Mike O'Melia
11-19-2009, 08:51 AM
That's why I am asking. Other than hand tools, or even powered hand tools, what other tools would be appropriate? If the CW could do what I want, I am certain I could find other uses for it!;-)

BTW, I am not trying to justify the purchase of a CW. If there were an even less expensive, automated way to do what I want, I am interested in knowing about it.

Thanks,

Mike

hogiewan
11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
If there were an even less expensive, automated way to do what I want, I am interested in knowing about it.

Thanks,

Mike

A traditional, table-style CNC mill coupled with good CAM software would be the best if only because you can use the specialized bits. The carving bit for the CW is just a tad too big on the end for sharp corners in inlays, but for rounded styles, it'll do great. Of course, you can set up a pattern/vector cut combination to use the carving bit for most of the cutout and then one of the V bits to make good corners, but it would be a lot of work (and something I may attempt in the near future). You can build a table CNC yourself for a LOT cheaper than what is available commercially with plans available online, maybe even cheaper than the CW, but you'll need some more software where the CW comes with Designer (yes, there are free/open-source CAD/CAM solutions available)

I bought the machine to make musical instruments (guitars, basses, drums, and a few other ideas). I have had it for a few months and am getting familiar with it through it's more traditional uses (reliefs, signs, etc) while I get better at drawing 3D models. Seeing LG's creations with the machine really sold me that it was possible even if it had challenges. I was considering building a CNC router, but I didn't want to risk pouring a lot of money into something I couldn't get to work properly, which IS a problem some people have with their CWs, but insurance by way of purchasing from a big retailer (Sears) along with their extended warranty really mitigates a lot of the risk. I decided I would get started with the CW and maybe graduate to a bigger machine in the future.

seabass
11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Build Joe's CNC, it should be fine and really no more cost than a CW. A lot of work making it, but I am having fun and learning a lot.

When its all said and done it will cost me about the same and definitely no more as someone buying a new CW with all the trimmings and software and I will have a HUGE advantage for detail and brute force work.

It is my experience and frustration with the CC/CW that pushed me to make my own CNC. Heck, even with a refurb and the upgrades I have spent enough already on stuff for the CC to build 3/4 of the full CNC unit. Plus I know many that have WAY more hours in trying to keep the CC working and maintained than the effort required to build a full machine, me for one. All this effort on the CC put on the new build and my full CNC would be done already. I'll keep the CC for doing little stuff that does not abuse the machine, like cut out letters for inlay. But the big carving the CC will not see anymore.

Around mid January I will be complete, but someone with the time could build it in a week or two.

http://www.joescnc.com/kitsplans.php

What I do not get is why someone would get four CC's and all the effort when one of these machines would be far more reliable, simple and faster, especially for guitars and such. Oh well, to each his own. But 4 CC even used are going to cost way more in the long run than the one Joe CNC with a 3hp router..

Space may be a consideration for one machine, but not multiples.

I'll post a picture when I am done with the build. If someone wants to start a Joe's CNC build I would be glad to work in synch with them, I can not work on it for a few weeks now because of work giving you time to catch up with me.

mtylerfl
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Seabass,

What software are you planning to use with the CNC you are building?