PDA

View Full Version : Carving Area

barncarver
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to carve a pattern on the whole board rather than leaving 3 1/2" on either side of the board? Also, how is it possible to create the 3D designs that all of you come up with? Are you scanning these objects or are you creating them from scratch. I guess I'm just not understanding this as well as I thought I would.

Thanks.
:confused:

seabass
11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, use a sled and place the wood into it.

No way to cut off the ends after the carve?

mtylerfl
11-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to carve a pattern on the whole board rather than leaving 3 1/2" on either side of the board?

Yes, you can use a sled or carrier board to provide the extra 3.5" on each end. It is important to keep your projects under the rollers for best results and to avoid problems. I NEVER run my projects without them staying under the rollers. To learn about sleds and carrier boards read the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 7 April 2008"Carving Jigs - Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf)
(6MB PDF file - may take some time to download)

Also, how is it possible to create the 3D designs that all of you come up with? Are you scanning these objects or are you creating them from scratch. I guess I'm just not understanding this as well as I thought I would.

Thanks.

Yes, many patterns are created using the scanning probe. Anyone can do it, and it's the easiest way to create relief patterns from objects that already exist (and are appropriately sized).

Most of us in the business of making patterns use software designed to create 3D and/or 2½D models/relief patterns. Myself, I mainly use ArtCAM Pro (http://www.artcam.com/) and/or Aspire (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html) software. I also own Z-Brush, but it's tougher to design "fit critical" components with that program for some of the projects I design, so I rarely use it anymore. Some folks use photo editing programs to create dimensional relief patterns. A bit more tedious and not really designed for that purpose, but I've seen some remarkable results from a few skilled people. I highly recommend Aspire - easy to learn - especially if you have a little background in computer graphics programs.

barncarver
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks Michael.

I have looked at the sled/carrier board Tips and Tricks and it makes sense now. I have also checked out the website for Aspire 3D program and will probably use the trial version and see how it works. I will probably not buy it, since it is almost $2000, though.

Thanks so much for your information to me. Maybe now I can really get down and use it. I have a project to make for my Cub Scout Pack for the Webelos Arrow of Light award and am looking forward to using some of these techniques to make a nice award for the scouts.

Thanks again,
David:-D