PDA

View Full Version : Head Crank issue.

will george
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
This is only a question and not necessarly a gripe about the CR.

Last week my crank locked up and I could not move the head in either direction (handle would not move.. Even if forced more than I should have tried).

My machine was delivered directly from CW so I assume it was new? It had some sawdust within it. I ASSUME it was factory tested?

After taking the crank assembly apart I found what looked like part of the pressure spring had broken off. The part that wedged in there was a semi-circle of spring material and it looked like it was hand ground flat on one side.

I inspected the pressure spring under a 600 power microscope and I could not find any evidence that it was broken. I looked for a fracture at each end that could match the part of a spring I found jammed in there. NO MATCH.

The pressure spring looked 'normal'... As in not broken.

I have not checked the head pressure after I assembled everything back together. No scale in my house. I'm skinny as I was at 18 years old and no need for one.

Would that 'stray' part be something used as a (so called) washer to increase head pressure?

Digitalwoodshop
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Check for head level, it could have gotten bumped in shipment. Use Options and sensor data. With the head cranked down and a bit in the machine touch the board in 3 places left to right and look at the numbers.

AL

will george
11-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Check for head level, it could have gotten bumped in shipment. Use Options and sensor data. With the head cranked down and a bit in the machine touch the board in 3 places left to right and look at the numbers.

AL

Thanks. The head assembly is OK.

My question is really related to the 'extra' ground semicircle of spring material that I found under the pressure spring. It had somehow jammed itself between the spring and crank shaft. The only thing I could think of it that someone had put it in there to act like a spacer washer? It had to be put in there for some unknown reason.

It was NOT a part of the pressure spring that had broken off.

Kenm810
11-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Just a thought,

I was wondering if someone tried to add some kind of a steel split washer as a spacer (maybe hand made) to the Crank Shaft
but missed, or miss aligned it, and it got jammed in the spring.
Or just an extra washer that feel into the assembly and got left in the Mix.
I know I found a few extra parts with my machine when I open the Box.
(Screws, Washers, and Ball Handle pack) Other folks have post finding all kinds of stuff.

The Washers for Crank Handle Assembly are

149 Crank Gear Spacer MWM P1287 page 9
154 Crank Lever Handle - Round MWM P1278 page 9

rjustice
11-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I have not checked the head pressure after I assembled everything back together. No scale in my house. I'm skinny as I was at 18 years old and no need for one.

I would recommend spending 10 bucks to purchase a scale for periodic checks. You will find that if the machine is too cold your pressure will be low, which will lead to other problems. It is also a good way to diagnose whether you need to clean and grease your columns, etc... as well as know whether the "ratchet" mechanism in the crank needs cleaned and greased as well...

Good luck!

Ron