PDA

View Full Version : Stuck carver

renuts
11-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Was on the second element of the Christmas wreath project, when it requested the exchange of the carver to the cutter. The carver would not come off. I tried the tool provided, but it still would not come off. I abort the project! Read the manual again, I used WD-40 as recommended in the manual. I tried again to remove the bit. It appears that the flange will not go up to release the bit. I assume it got hot, so I waited all weekend and tried removing the bit with tool. Still no luck! The flange will not move. Any help please Christmas is around the corner and I would like to finish the wreath for this year.

I was thinking (this is the dangerous part) of removing the chuck, but how? Can I do it without removing the chuck.

If I can not remove carver, can I continue with the project without the need to go to cutter for measurements (first part of of each element)?

hogiewan
11-16-2009, 08:01 AM
there are lots of threads about this. Search "stuck bit" (with the quotes) to look at all the answers.

What I do is this: Put a leather glove below the bit in case it falls frees to protect the bit and the board or machine. Pull the release up with my bare hand. If the bit stays (always does), a light jiggle of the bit with a GLOVED hand (those bits are super sharp - wear thick gloves) while the other hand holds the release usually frees it. Otherwise, some needle nose pliers can grab the lip at the bottom of the bit holder and pull it down.

If the release won't lift, a slight tap of the QC with something not-so-hard (I use the rubber-coated handle of a screwdriver) will usually free it.

mtylerfl
11-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Lay a bunch of towels under the chuck to catch drips and protect your board (leave your board in the machine just as it is so you can continue the project without a re-start). Spray your WD-40 UP into the inside of the four "slots" that surround the bit adapter (you may need a mirror and flashlight to see them). Squirt a "generous amount" up in there - the purpose is to flush out any/all fine sawdust build-up that may be preventing the normal movement of the quick-release. Gently work your removal tool all around the chuck until the adapter becomes free. This method will work, provided it's just a dirty chuck that is causing the problem.

It is also possible that one or both of the adapter setscrews loosened up during the carve and may have wedged the adapter in the chuck. Another cause for a stuck bit is that the bit/adapter assembly was not inserted fully when the carve began. In this case, it is possible that the adapter is "jammed" physically and will be much more of a challenge to get out.

hess
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Was on the second element of the Christmas wreath project, when it requested the exchange of the carver to the cutter. The carver would not come off. I tried the tool provided, but it still would not come off. I abort the project! Read the manual again, I used WD-40 as recommended in the manual. I tried again to remove the bit. It appears that the flange will not go up to release the bit. I assume it got hot, so I waited all weekend and tried removing the bit with tool. Still no luck! The flange will not move. Any help please Christmas is around the corner and I would like to finish the wreath for this year.

I was thinking (this is the dangerous part) of removing the chuck, but how? Can I do it without removing the chuck.

If I can not remove carver, can I continue with the project without the need to go to cutter for measurements (first part of of each element)?

Should try to get the bit out but I have used the carve bit as a cut bit in the past when my last cut bit had broken. they will do the cut out it will be tappered

just let the unit measure it as the other bit. It would be better to get it out more than not the screws that hold it in place have backed out and will cont to tighten as it is used( by tighten I mean back out into the QC)