PDA

View Full Version : Unique Problem

Griz64
11-16-2009, 01:06 AM
I ran across something a little strange that I dont know how to fix. I was in the process of making a box with sides that are 2.5 tall. I put my board in the machine which measures 3 x 15 and crank the head down. The machine then starts to measure it as normal but when it gets to the end the wood just keeps going until it falls on the floor. The rollers are still rolling until I abort the project. I have checked the brass roller and taped the edges of the board and then taped the whole board. I have checked the piece of wood for any kind of warp and tried flipping it from one side to the other...still the same thing. Now here is the funny part, When I put in a 5 inch board it measures just fine with no problems. The same 15 inches, the same 1/4", ripped from the same oak board. So in a nutshell...3"=no go...5"=no problem. I am open to any and all suggestions because I am clueless.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Griz, Does your machine have the stock or optionial (K) traction belts? Is the small o-ring on the brass tracking roller still in place? Are you using masking tape on the underside of project board?
Al's Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Griz64
11-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Ok here goes. I still have the sandpaper belts-yes the o-ring is still in place--and yes the masking tape was on the bottom edge as well as on the top. Oak is a pretty light colored wood but I figured what would it hurt.

AskBud
11-16-2009, 02:12 AM
I ran across something a little strange that I dont know how to fix. I was in the process of making a box with sides that are 2.5 tall. I put my board in the machine which measures 3 x 15 and crank the head down. The machine then starts to measure it as normal but when it gets to the end the wood just keeps going until it falls on the floor. The rollers are still rolling until I abort the project. I have checked the brass roller and taped the edges of the board and then taped the whole board. I have checked the piece of wood for any kind of warp and tried flipping it from one side to the other...still the same thing. Now here is the funny part, When I put in a 5 inch board it measures just fine with no problems. The same 15 inches, the same 1/4", ripped from the same oak board. So in a nutshell...3"=no go...5"=no problem. I am open to any and all suggestions because I am clueless.

If you are talking about a sled (when you say box), you need ends the same height as your rails for the sensor, under the truck, to read. The ends may be the entire 3.5" or just the last inch or so. You may stretch several strips of masking tape to accomplish the task. You do not need this on a "Probe Sled", but it is necessary on a Carving Sled.

Here is a PDF on Carving sleds:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Multi-Use%20Sled.pdf

AskBud

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
11-16-2009, 02:13 AM
I had a similar problem after having new k-belts installed @ LHR. Seems that there is a mechanical snubber (looks like a small piece of fuel line), required under the alignment plate and on top of tracking assembly bearing pedestal. It appears to provide some sort of pivot stabilization for the tracking assembly. After a closer inspection I found the snubber lying on the bottom of the machine. After re-installing the snubber every thing worked fine. Hope this provides some help.

Kenm810
11-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Griz64,

Quote: -- "The same 15 inches, the same 1/4", ripped from the same oak board"

Is your project board at least than 1/2" thick,
sometimes even if it's only a fraction off an inch to thin,
or if the head pressure is a little to light,
the board may run out the back of the Machine.

TerryT
11-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Yep, the two most likely causes are the board less than 1/2 inch or one of the rollers stuck. you can use the keypad to check sensors to find out if rollers are both compressing and releasing properly.

Digitalwoodshop
11-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I believe Terry has the correct answer... A Stuck Roller...

The roller must uncompress first as it is measuring the length to turn on the board detector. If your roller is sticking then the board detector will never turn on and the board ejects....

AL

mtylerfl
11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I vote that the stock is under 1/2" thick is why it just "keeps going" - otherwise he would be getting a roller error message on the LCD. Very common newbie "problem" - not unique. You can use a sled/carrier board to correct the issue.

chebytrk
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Yup, when my board kept running out I would get and error message on my LCD (Error 309 I think). Anyway, I kept cleaning and cleaning and then cleaned some more. I kept blowing out on the rollers where the sensors are located (while pushing up and down on the rollers) I guess I finally got the dust out cause it started working. It was then that I decided to get a DC vaccum and haven't had the problem since ..... knock on wood. Course it helps to say nice things to your CW when you first see it..... "Hi", "you're looking fine today".... "have you lost weight"? :D

seabass
11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Still lucky, use less than 1/2" boards everyday and it works fine.

mtylerfl
11-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Still lucky, use less than 1/2" boards everyday and it works fine.

You got one of those "special" machines - lucky dog, you!!;)

seabass
11-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Well I did just fry my second X-drive so it's not perfect. Head pressure is perfect and the wood I use is not heavy, I have no idea why it happened this time. Ordered two so I am caught short again.

fwharris
11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Well I did just fry my second X-drive so it's not perfect. Head pressure is perfect and the wood I use is not heavy, I have no idea why it happened this time. Ordered two so I am caught short again.

Seabass,

I learned a while back not to make reference to "how well" things are running. Seems just about every time I said that some thing would go wrong. Either the machine or me...:roll: