PDA

View Full Version : Making Patterns

MichaelDVehrs
11-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I am new to all this and I am trying to create a pattern with Project Designer 1.153 Build 7880. I have manipulated most of what I wanted, but I am having problems with circles. They are 2D and when I use them I cannot save my item as a pattern. Basically you can make a narrow rectangle and remove the region within and make a pattern of it. I cannot seem to do that with circles. I have tried removing the region between two circles (one 12" and on 11" for example), but it removes the entire larger region. Does anyone understand?28560 This is the project I have so far. It is the outer ring that I would like to make a 3D pattern out of so I can merge it with the rest. I imagine I will use 3D circles quite a bit if I can figure out how.

fwharris
11-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Designer will not make patterns out of non pattern elements. Meaning lines, circles, rect. and etc. Only actual patterns themselves.

Any way that is how I understand it....

MichaelDVehrs
11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I was able to make a pattern out of these 2D components put together. Just not circles. Here is my example: 28561

fwharris
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I was able to make a pattern out of these 2D components put together. Just not circles. Here is my example: 28561

Michael,

I do not think you want to post your favorites.mpn file. That is all of your patterns that you have loaded into designer...

mtylerfl
11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Designer will not make patterns out of non pattern elements. Meaning lines, circles, rect. and etc. Only actual patterns themselves.

Any way that is how I understand it....

Hello,

Yes, you can make patterns out of circles and any enclosed vector shape. The secret is to make those elements into Carve Regions before grouping and using the Make Pattern feature. (This tip was revealed on page 6 of the Sept. '08 Tips & Tricks issue).

fwharris
11-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello,

Yes, you can make patterns out of circles and any enclosed vector shape. The secret is to make those elements into Carve Regions before grouping and using the Make Pattern feature. (This tip was revealed on page 6 of the Sept. '08 Tips & Tricks issue).

Michael,

Thanks for the clarification on that! Guess I need to go back and do some reading!!

Was you able to figure out what his problem was then???

AskBud
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I am new to all this and I am trying to create a pattern with Project Designer 1.153 Build 7880. I have manipulated most of what I wanted, but I am having problems with circles. They are 2D and when I use them I cannot save my item as a pattern. Basically you can make a narrow rectangle and remove the region within and make a pattern of it. I cannot seem to do that with circles. I have tried removing the region between two circles (one 12" and on 11" for example), but it removes the entire larger region. Does anyone understand?28560 This is the project I have so far. It is the outer ring that I would like to make a 3D pattern out of so I can merge it with the rest. I imagine I will use 3D circles quite a bit if I can figure out how.

Is the RR Crossing symbol yours? If not, you will need to make your own.
Try a simple circle. Make it a Carved area. Place a second simple carve area within the circle, and Group the two. Now see if the "Make Pattern Icon" activates. If so, see if you can complete this test of pattern making, or if you get a warning.
AskBud

Kenm810
11-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Michael,

Tried one just now, it took a couple shots at it, but I got my Circle.
The smaller one inside is from the ptn pattern I just made with the Spline tool.
Pays to read and even re-read the Tips & Tricks. :wink:

Thanks for Jugging the Memory