PDA

View Full Version : Bits in the RC

Bowengg
11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi

Just finished installing the RC. How far do I need to insert the bit in the adapter? Once the bit is properly in does it need calibration or anything else?

Thanks
Gordon

dbfletcher
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi

Just finished installing the RC. How far do I need to insert the bit in the adapter? Once the bit is properly in does it need calibration or anything else?

Thanks
Gordon

a good rule of thumb is 1/8-3/16 gap between top most cutting flute or surface on the bit and the bottom of the chuck or sleeve. I did not need any calibration, not sure if other have done any.

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon, first off good job!! I make sure the bit is at least 1/2" to 3/4" that is with my short bits from Precise bits they are only 2" as it is! With the regular bits you can push them in a little more or until they stop and back off a bit then tighten just like a regular router.

One thing I suggest is a bit stop because the machine will give you a message it did not recognized the bit, so it gives you the option 1) re-find bit 2) continue. With the bit stop you insert the bit the same every time.

I use drill bit stops for doweling I bought mine from Lowes unfortunately they came in a variety pack with different sizes. That is not bad and works out if you have a 1/2" "Rock" with the 1/4" and 1/8" adapters. I have the 1/4" I just wanted the 1/4" bit stops but had to go with what they had! I bought 4 packages that covers you for 4 bits if needed for a project!

As for to calibration none is needed you are good to go! You are going to enjoy the "Rock" it is quieter and the flex runs so much cooler!

I have one for my CW! I need one for my CC!!!

Ike

ddouglass
11-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Has anyone thought about using a Sharpie Marker to paint a line at the correct location instead of a Stop Collar? I haven't tried it yet but Ias long as it doesn't rub off should work.

SeaCapt97
11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm thing about using the 1/2" rock with sleeves for my 1/4" bits. Wondering if it will work to put a drop of "super glue" on the very end (not the slotted end) of the sleeve to permanently fasten it to the bit, which would mean consistent length for that bit at all times. Just need a dedicated sleeve for each bit.

any thoughts?

Bill

bergerud
11-16-2009, 09:57 AM
I have been using the blue loctite to "glue" bits inside homemade adapters. Works much better than you would expect. Then just use heat to undo. Give it a try.

rjustice
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm thing about using the 1/2" rock with sleeves for my 1/4" bits. Wondering if it will work to put a drop of "super glue" on the very end (not the slotted end) of the sleeve to permanently fasten it to the bit, which would mean consistent length for that bit at all times. Just need a dedicated sleeve for each bit.

any thoughts?

Bill

Bill,
We actually have applications in steel cutting where we will superglue 2 pcs of steel together like you are suggesting. It will requre you to have a sleeve dedicated to each tool, but yes I believe this will work for you if you wish...

Ron

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I use drill bit stops for doweling I bought mine from Lowes unfortunately they came in a variety pack with different sizes. That is not bad and works out if you have a 1/2" "Rock" with the 1/4" and 1/8" adapters. I have the 1/4" I just wanted the 1/4" bit stops but had to go with what they had! I bought 4 packages that covers you for 4 bits if needed for a project!

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/STCL-0250/