PDA

View Full Version : drilling through jig?

Rapidroy
11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi All
well is is a new one for me. I did a carve on a 2.5 x 13 x 1/2" board on a jig thats 9.5 x 20 x 1/2" and set the software to board size. The carve went fine, when it went to drill the holes it drilled through the board and the jig? Could it be that I "ignored" the jig question it asked me at the start? Maybe I should "manual jig" next time. I think I need to make a cheat sheet for all the input questions.:lol:

Kenm810
11-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Roy,

Did you happen to the set the Hole Depth Deeper then .5", or Though the Board

Rapidroy
11-14-2009, 07:54 PM
yep, through the board, but I have used "through the board" and it has never done that before. I now changed it to .5" and it's carving now so Lets see what happens in....25 min.

Rapidroy
11-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Setting it at .5 worked. Somehow I though it wouldnt drill through the jig when picking "drill through board". I guess not. Lots to learn and more to remember.

dbfletcher
11-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Setting it at .5 worked. Somehow I though it wouldnt drill through the jig when picking "drill through board". I guess not. Lots to learn and more to remember.

I had thought I had read a post a while back that said the drill function doesnt work correctly with sled depth yet... just cutout. I'll search and see if I can find the post and update here if/when i find it.

edit: here is the thread that talked about that: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12845&highlight=drill+sled&page=4

Doug Fletcher

Rapidroy
11-14-2009, 11:15 PM
I found a post that said it will drill through everything (jig and all), but they are working on it, but then I looked at the date of the post and it was 2006 so I just thought it would be fixed by now. So its something I will remember to do next time. Drill depth of board only....Not "through the board" if my wood work is on a jig.

RMarkey
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Hello,
I used a 1/2" jig w/ a 1/2" board. On the machine, you should have seen a message like the one attached. Did it come up?

fwharris
11-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I did some carves this weekend in 1/2" thickness on a 3/4" sled. The board setting in designer was set at 1/2". When doing the bit selection on the 1/8" bit it went through the normal process of finding the top of the board etc. but it did not do the touch on the sliding guide plate like it would normally do for cut outs. I also did not get the msg. for the project cut out either. When it did the cut out it only cut through the 1/2" board.

At what point in the process is this msg. suppose to come up? This was my first time doing the cut out on a sled and it came out great. Was waiting for the msg. but never got it.

dbfletcher
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I did some carves this weekend in 1/2" thickness on a 3/4" sled. The board setting in designer was set at 1/2". When doing the bit selection on the 1/8" bit it went through the normal process of finding the top of the board etc. but it did not do the touch on the sliding guide plate like it would normally do for cut outs. I also did not get the msg. for the project cut out either. When it did the cut out it only cut through the 1/2" board.

At what point in the process is this msg. suppose to come up? This was my first time doing the cut out on a sled and it came out great. Was waiting for the msg. but never got it.

Where you using the "normal" cut path operation (icon with little saw) or where you just assigning a depth of 1/2 to a bit? I know I get the prompt metallus show above, but I thought there was still an issue with the DRILL function and sleds. I will test today on mine to verify it does or doesnt work for me on 1.153.

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
11-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Doug,

Yes normal cut path function for the cut outs. Thought I was going to get a chance to see the prompt at either the start up bit selection or when I did the change over for the cut out function. Did not happen on either. Was standing by when it started the cut out just in case it went to deep but it only went the 1/2" so I let it go.

Rapidroy
11-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello,
I used a 1/2" jig w/ a 1/2" board. On the machine, you should have seen a message like the one attached. Did it come up?

I don't think it had that message. It might have been a blip in the computer.I have noticed that sometimes the CW will ask me other questions on one carve and the next day I'll do the same carve and the questions are differant?

Jeff_Birt
11-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I've just been talking to the CarveWright engineers about this. The machine will attempt to measure the board thickness to determine how deep it should drill or cut. If the measured board thickness is 0.125" or more than the board thickness entered in Designer the machine assumes you are using a sled and it will default to using the board thickness entered in Designer. It will also default to using the project thickness if your board thickness in Designer is less than 1/2"

On 'through the board' type operations, both cutting and drilling, the machine will go 0.070" below the measured thickness or project board thickness (based on the rules listed above.)

It should also be noted that you should us up to date and matching firmware and software for everything to work out properly.

RMarkey
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
If the measured board thickness is 0.125" or more than the board thickness entered in Designer the machine assumes you are using a sled and it will default to using the board thickness entered in Designer.

Sorry for any confusion, Jeff.

If the measured thickness is greater than 0.125" more than designed, it will prompt you whether to use the project or board thickness.

RMarkey
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think it had that message. It might have been a blip in the computer.I have noticed that sometimes the CW will ask me other questions on one carve and the next day I'll do the same carve and the questions are differant?

I think I found your problem. On your machine, at the main menu, select 0 - 5, then use the arrows to scroll down to #4. Make sure "cut thru prompt" is set to ON.

fwharris
11-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry for any confusion, Jeff.

If the measured thickness is greater than 0.125" more than designed, it will prompt you whether to use the project or board thickness.

So is that why I did not get the prompt then??