PDA

View Full Version : Ai2mpc Help

jpaluck
11-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Dont wont sound like an idiot but I can not get this program to work. If someone has the time to give a step by step to running this from the dos command I would be greatful. I am running windows xp.

dbfletcher
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Dont wont sound like an idiot but I can not get this program to work. If someone has the time to give a step by step to running this from the dos command I would be greatful. I am running windows xp.

Do you have broadband internet access? I'd b happy to walk you thru it online. I often use www.zolved.com to help friends and family with their computer issues. It allows me to see and/or control a remote computer. Oh... it doesnt work well with vista currently... so I guess I'd need to know your os as well. let me know if interested.

Doug Fletcher

jpaluck
11-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Doug

would love the help..let me know how get started..using XP

dbfletcher
11-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Doug

would love the help..let me know how get started..using XP

Just go to this website, click on install, on the drop down you can choose wether you want me to interact with your computer or just view.... totally you call. I guess just post the 8 digit pin here.. and i'll connect. Im online now.

http://www.zolved.com/remote_control/show

Doug Fletcher

jpaluck
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
doug here is the pin

9300 6290

bjbethke
11-14-2009, 03:51 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9590

I posted a PDF on how I made this work.

Dan Frecks
11-15-2009, 12:13 AM
I run Vista (not by choice mind you) but I have never been able to make this program work which is why I went the dingbat route. I hope someday that Carvewright allows for direct importing from AI.

seabass
11-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Don't hold your breath, why would they allow a direct import to take away from their proprietary design on everything. They would lose money, at least not make any money.

I bet they keep it proprietary forever making you use their software, I would if it were my business.

Jeff_Birt
11-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I have not used ai2mpc for quite a while but as I recall you open a command window in the directory where your ai file lives and then type something like' ai2mpc myaifilename mympcfilename'

jpaluck
11-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Dan

Thanks for your help the other day...doug showed me how to get this program running and it works AWSOME..way easier than and less steps then the dingbat route and more control...very cool...I have only bogged down designer once with an ai file I was playing with that had a bizzilion vectors...for most things this works perfect

Dan Frecks
11-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Dan

Thanks for your help the other day...doug showed me how to get this program running and it works AWSOME..way easier than and less steps then the dingbat route and more control...very cool...I have only bogged down designer once with an ai file I was playing with that had a bizzilion vectors...for most things this works perfect

Well that is Way cool then. Does anybody out there know how to make this program work in Vista?

dbfletcher
11-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Well that is Way cool then. Does anybody out there know how to make this program work in Vista?

If no one else jumps on this, I will take a look at it tomorrow. I would be very suprised for it NOT to work under vista however. Are you getting any error messages? I'll fire up my vista test box and see if I run in to any issues.

Doug Fletcher

Dan Frecks
11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
If no one else jumps on this, I will take a look at it tomorrow. I would be very suprised for it NOT to work under vista however. Are you getting any error messages? I'll fire up my vista test box and see if I run in to any issues.

Doug Fletcher

Hey Doug,
I downloaded it a while back and tried to install it. A DOS window briefly popped up then instantly closed. No error or anything just a non-function. I just let it go because I read on this forum somewhere that it did not work in Vista. If I can do something different and make it work.....WHOO HOO!

dbfletcher
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey Doug,
I downloaded it a while back and tried to install it. A DOS window briefly popped up then instantly closed. No error or anything just a non-function. I just let it go because I read on this forum somewhere that it did not work in Vista. If I can do something different and make it work.....WHOO HOO!

Well.. that would actually be the normal behavor. IT IS A DOS program.. so when you just double click on it, it would briefly open a window and then close. Well, actually when you do it that way you are running it with out any command line options, so in the brief window that flys by, it is displaying the usage instructions. Then it quits... as soon as it quite the window closes.

Open a command prompt first.. then "cd" to where you have the program saved. Run it from the comand prompt and you will be fine. let me know if this isnt clear.

Doug Fletcher

Dan Frecks
11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Well.. that would actually be the normal behavor. IT IS A DOS program.. so when you just double click on it, it would briefly open a window and then close. Well, actually when you do it that way you are running it with out any command line options, so in the brief window that flys by, it is displaying the usage instructions. Then it quits... as soon as it quite the window closes.

Open a command prompt first.. then "cd" to where you have the program saved. Run it from the comand prompt and you will be fine. let me know if this isnt clear.

Doug Fletcher

Nope it's clear Doug, and I should have already considered it. I was able to make it work today. Couple of interesting things; I am using a brand new version of AI (cp4). Interestingly the progroam would not recognize my AI files unless I saved them as an AI version 8 or older file. Also I needed to deselect saving the file with any maximizing of other Adobe availabilities such as Acrobat.

Anyway I have it working now, thanks so much!

Dan

Deolman
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I could use some assistance also. I have a couple of simple files I would like to convert but I am afraid I don't know what an AI file should look like. When I bring the files in I see a black background with a white outline of the figure I want. I save the files (I am using CS3) as a version 3 AI. I then run AI2MPC in a DOS window and end up with an mpc file but when I load it into designer, all I have is a blank board. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to look at it and give me a hand.

dbfletcher
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, they were butchered on the way. Here is a zip file with the two figures. - Thanks.

Can you post the AI files? The png's are raster. The ai2mpc expects vector files. Or the png's would need to be "traced" using one of the many tools for converting raster art to vector art.

Doug Fletcher

Deolman
11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Doug you solved my problem. I did not realize I needed to trace the figure. Thank you so much.

Chief
11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Dan,

"Interestingly the progroam would not recognize my AI files unless I saved them as an AI version 8 or older file. Also I needed to deselect saving the file with any maximizing of other Adobe availabilities such as Acrobat."

Could you explain this a little more? How can you save your AI files as a V8 or older? I just recently bought AI but, like most Adobe products, it has a steep learning curve, which I'm sure you are aware of.

Thanks.

Chief

sk8nmike
11-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I was reading this post just because someone mentioned an old program when I was hit by a big flashing red light...

I don't know any of the people involved here and don't want to throw dirt on anyone,

BUT.... I'd have to think long and hard before I gave remote access to someone I know, much less someone I didn't. I'm comfortable in believing that the offer was sent without malice and an attempt to help.

BUT.... Be careful of who/what you let onto your computer. I can upload programs that can cause you trouble for years, and I'm a novice compared to those who really know what they are doing..

Treat your computer like you would your home, you wouldn't let just anyone walk into your house would you?

dbfletcher
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I was reading this post just because someone mentioned an old program when I was hit by a big flashing red light...

I don't know any of the people involved here and don't want to throw dirt on anyone,

BUT.... I'd have to think long and hard before I gave remote access to someone I know, much less someone I didn't. I'm comfortable in believing that the offer was sent without malice and an attempt to help.

BUT.... Be careful of who/what you let onto your computer. I can upload programs that can cause you trouble for years, and I'm a novice compared to those who really know what they are doing..

Treat your computer like you would your home, you wouldn't let just anyone walk into your house would you?

Good point. However I guess that is one of the problems with a small town mentality. I'm sure one day I will get burned by believing in the "good" of people... and had I only had a few posts under my belt I would definately agree it would be cause for concern.

But.. with that being said.... If Al or Doc or Ken or LG or countless others ever showed on on my doorstep one day. you can bet I'd be opening the door and asking them to stay for dinner. I have met none of these people but I think you do make a good point. Use good judgement and caution when potentially exposing yourself to harm.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

jgowrie
11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I was just wondering if this program might make it's way over to the mac side ? :rolleyes:

dbfletcher
11-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I was just wondering if this program might make it's way over to the mac side ? :rolleyes:

Since it is just a dos program, you could always just use virtualbox for mac or similiar programs and run it that way. I think you can still download msdos from microsoft which is all you would need.

Doug Fletcher

dbfletcher
11-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Here is the link for MSDos 6.2 from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=96cc3197-b7e5-4b31-badb-ddaac771295f&displaylang=en

Doug Fletcher

jgowrie
11-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Doug,

thanks for the info. I will definitely check this "virtualbox" out!

John