PDA

View Full Version : Machine Updates

RandyG
11-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Since the CW is relatively new in it's life cycle, I was wondering what types of retooling or changes to the machine have been made in the 2+ years to make it a better machine. I have seen some common complaints and wondered if they have been addressed? Is the "new" machine off the line today just a replica of the one 2 years ago with the same inherent problems?
Is there a new CW GS coming down the pipeline? :) (GS is the new version of the Iphone...)

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Lets see.... The new Z Bundle is a good change with the 14 pin FSC cable... I believe all the new machines have that change now.

Glue on the board sensor board... expect that too...

That is all I can think of...

You would want to get a ROCK in the near future in "MY" opinion.

The machine has had it's growing pains... In it's current configuration it is a very reliable machine. The harder you push it the more thing wear. Dust collection and a Rock make it a much more reliable machine.

It is a Hobby Grade machine so it's not fair to Kick it later when you want a production machine. I now have 4 machines as I am a industrial user and having the back up machines and a stash of spare parts.

It's a TOOL...

AL

STEAM
11-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Randy
Some of the best advice you will find on the forum comes from Al. I don't think anyone knows these machines as well as he does.

mabco12
11-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I will second that statement!! :-D

Kenm810
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm always Happy to read and learn from AL's posts about the ins and outs of these Carving Machines,
I also agree that he knows his machine, -- Heck I'm barely on speaking terms with mine Somedays. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

liquidguitars
11-14-2009, 06:24 PM
New Z truck casting design.. rubber belts option.

LG

jonathan68
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
New Z truck casting design.. rubber belts option.

LG

What is this Z Truck Casting Design? Haven't heard of that?

liquidguitars
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Just like in the old, but no scanner drill out or IR flag, a little stronger
and less prone to damage.

LG

wasacop75
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
;)I talked to my machine once...

It cussed me out.

liquidguitars
11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
LOL"

Mine makes robot noise at times like it talking to outer space. --Dablydibly, --- Dablydibly ---, like its saying Earth to outer space! come in outer space! alls well here.. I stop and listen, smile and go back to work.

LG

Kenm810
11-14-2009, 07:56 PM
LG,

I think you're right, except mine sounds like it's reporting back to it's Mother Ship, ----- No Signs of Intelligent Life Yet, ------

--No Signs of Intelligent Life Yet,------ No Signs of Intell ---- ah----- Never Mind ----- No Signs of Intelligent Life yet, -------

earlyrider
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Just as long as it doesn't say "Danger, Will Robinson" or "Kill all humans":mrgreen:
Ron

jonathan68
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Just like in the old, but no scanner drill out or IR flag, a little stronger
and less prone to damage.

LG

Still confused. I bought mine two months ago, does it have the updated z track that you are talking about?

jgowrie
11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes, I'd also like to know if there is a way to identify the old version of the z truck casting from a newer one to be sure.

jgowrie
11-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Lets see.... The new Z Bundle is a good change with the 14 pin FSC cable... I believe all the new machines have that change now.

Glue on the board sensor board... expect that too...

That is all I can think of...

You would want to get a ROCK in the near future in "MY" opinion.

The machine has had it's growing pains... In it's current configuration it is a very reliable machine. The harder you push it the more thing wear. Dust collection and a Rock make it a much more reliable machine.

It is a Hobby Grade machine so it's not fair to Kick it later when you want a production machine. I now have 4 machines as I am a industrial user and having the back up machines and a stash of spare parts.

It's a TOOL...

AL

Al,

At what point would a new machine owner want to consider the ROCK upgrade, in your opinion?

I've got a little under 10 hours on my CW but will start putting on at least 3 to 6 hours / week now. No issues as of yet and I am being diligent with the cleaning after every job.

supershingler
11-15-2009, 11:00 AM
jg

i would opt for the rock as soon as you can afford it.

the difference in wear and vibrations is amazing. since i got my rock i have had vertually no down time. this i credit to the rock and the lack of vibration it produces.

i just bought machine no. three and will order a new rock for it this week

kendall

jgowrie
11-15-2009, 11:26 AM
jg

i would opt for the rock as soon as you can afford it.

the difference in wear and vibrations is amazing. since i got my rock i have had vertually no down time. this i credit to the rock and the lack of vibration it produces.

i just bought machine no. three and will order a new rock for it this week

kendall

Hmm, with such high opinion of the ROCK and such low opinion of the QC, maybe LHR should just buy the rights and install the ROCK as the standard. Sounds like they could greatly improve the service record of the machine if they did. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Missed a few as posted above...

Yes, Kevlar Rubber Belts... An improvement over the Sand Paper Belts in grip and longevity. I get hundreds of hours on the sand paper belts and have at least 6 sets in my parts box so for now I will stick with the sand paper belts.

The Z Truck had a thin casting in the area of the lower right bearing screw and the wedge shape of the bearing screw caused the casting to split. The First fix was a black washer to remove the wedge effect. This Truck Casting has holes in it for the Probe and homing sensor, both no longer used.

The NEW Z Truck has the indentations for the holes but are solid. NO holes in the rounded area of the truck. The thickness of the casting around the lower right bearing screw is thicker.

As for the ROCK... (The following is MY opinion and does not express the same opinion as some senior members of the forum and LHR.)

In my opinion if you leave the QC on your machine for the Warranty Period of 200 Cut Motor hours the vibration will not be good for your machine. Many components including the L2 on the Power Supply will be vibrated and weakened as for the Board Detector. Plus you can expect to have the need to change the QC within the 200 hours due to any number of reasons like the bit flying out of the QC and the machine driving the spinning QC on to the bit drilled into the wood... This happened to me and listening to it on the Intercom in the shop next door was Exciting as I raced to shut the machine off. Look at the posts starting "Bit Won't Come Out?" and the frustration. Part of the QC problem is that Woodworkers like myself end up waiting longer then we should before we change the QC. Not wanting to spend the money so soon.... The Vibration gets more intense and BB marks forum in the bit Holders as your bit is fluttering. Projects loose detail and we don't even realize it... There are some lucky users like Chris that keep the machine supper clean and have never had a problem with the QC and have hundreds of hours on the QC. I would say that he is the exception but with THOUSANDS of machines in use we are NOT hearing from the THOUSANDS of HAPPY QC USERS.... They MUST be out there as we have not heard that many complaints.

So with that said... It is my opinion that installing a ROCK as soon as you can is best for your wallet and carving quality. Just Know that installing a ROCK could void your warranty and if your machine goes back to LHR it is expected to have a QC on it.

I believe LHR is working on a new version of the QC, they might even be in testing as I type... I would expect something like 16 BB's holding the Bit Holder rather than 3....

The opinion expressed here is that of AL. We all make choices.

Good Luck,

AL

I compare the debate between the QC and ROCK to the debate over Bias Tires and the Radial Tires.... There were a lot of people that resisted changing over to the Radial Tires. There were Vehicle Suspension differences between cars designed for Bias and Radial but many die hard Car Buffs hated Radial Tires and if there was such a thing as a Ford or Chevy Car Forum in the 60's we would see the same posts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_tire

In the past, the fabric was built up on a flat steel drum, with the cords at an angle of about +60 and −60 degrees from the direction of travel, so they criss-crossed over each other. They were called cross-ply or bias ply tires.

By comparison, radial tires lay all of the cord plies at 90 degrees to the direction of travel (that is, across the tire from lip to lip). This design avoids having the plies rub against each other as the tire flexes, reducing the rolling friction of the tire. This allows vehicles with radial tires to achieve better fuel economy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles) than vehicles with bias-ply tires

liquidguitars
11-15-2009, 12:44 PM
In my opinion if you leave the Rock on your machine for the Warranty Period of 200 Cut Motor hours the vibration will not be good for your machine.

Al, did you mean to say the Rock? also the rubber belts do not drift like a papper ones.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Al, did you mean to say the Rock? also the rubber belts do not drift like a papper ones.

LG

Thanks LG... fixes the TYPO....

Good point on the Rubber Belts too... no drifting.

AL

jgowrie
11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for that clearly stated opinion, Al. Seeing as how I just got the machine, I'll hope for at least 25-30 hours of trouble free usage, after which point I should be able to think about getting the ROCK, which sounds like a highly advisable purchase.

john

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks for that clearly stated opinion, Al. Seeing as how I just got the machine, I'll hope for at least 25-30 hours of trouble free usage, after which point I should be able to think about getting the ROCK, which sounds like a highly advisable purchase.

john

With Christmas on the way buy a Rock and keep it in reserve, call it a early Christmas Gift for yourself.... That way if you toast your QC while making last minute Christmas Gifts you can switch to the ROCK rather than waiting for a new QC or the ROCK....

Too many posts here mention... I have Projects DUE, I am BROKE!!! "What am I going to DO????" or words to that effect....

A Supply Officer on one of my Navy Ships had a plaque on the wall and pointed to it often....

"Pi$$ Poor Planning on YOUR part, does not constitute an EMERGENCY on MY PART"

So to sum it up... Plan for the day you will NEED a QC or a Suitable replacement....:mrgreen:

Good Luck,

AL

RandyG
11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the input by everyone.

A few questions: how can you tell if you are buying a new machine from Sears if you are getting an updated one?

If I install a Rock, Al mentioned it voided the warranty? Is that for Sears too?

Randy

seabass
11-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Guess what I put my QC back on and have not broken a bit since.

I still say do not add the rock until you have problems all it did was frustrate the crap out of me. It was no more quiet and had no less vibration. I guess I got a good QC. The rock cost me 200 and another 160 in broken bits. Everyone raves about the rock I thought I would add another point of view.

If it aint broke do not fix it!

dbfletcher
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Guess what I put my QC back on and have not broken a bit since.

I still say do not add the rock until you have problems all it did was frustrate the crap out of me. It was no more quiet and had no less vibration. I guess I got a good QC. The rock cost me 200 and another 160 in broken bits. Everyone raves about the rock I thought I would add another point of view.

If it aint broke do not fix it!

Seabass,

Sorry you had issues. I would try and contact Ron or post on the forum what was happening when you bits broke. When I was using QC's I never was able to finish one project without running in to one error or another and had less then 30 hours total time on my cut motor. Now with the rock I"m well over 300 hours and have not broke a single bit since switching. Nor have I had any issues mid-project. Since you are the first public post I have seen where users didnt say the noticed a dramtic decrease in vibration and noise make me wonder if there could have possibly been something wrong with your Rock? With the QC in under 30 hours I had broke 4 cutting bits... some may have been my fault with me thinking they were fully seated in the qc.. but perhaps the reality was they were not.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

seabass
11-15-2009, 05:24 PM
No nothing wrong with the rock. What I am saying is that my QC ran perfectly and if someone is not having issues like I wasn't just do not change it to change it.

I bet there are tons of people that use the QC with no issues, it's just that people that have issues write on the forum, people that do not have issues never mention it. I thought I would be one that mentioned it.

Everyone assumes the QC's are all bad and have vibration, mine does not cause any vibration and I only changed it because I thought it was the thing to do. I am sure the rock is fine, for me it just did not make that huge improvement, there was really nothing to improve upon.

How many still use the QC and have had few issues? I am sure thousands will post that they had QC issues, I would like to hear from the people that did not have issues with the QC. Out of all the QC's made some of them must be running better than spec.

Dust collection is what made the machine better for me.

I think out of any upgrades start with dust collection first, then maybe a rock second if needed and then the rubber belts last.

TIMCOSBY
11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
my qc is doing just fine.

TerryT
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
While doing the Lowes demo a couple of weeks ago, I met a guy that just bought his machine from Sears. Contrary to popular belief, it had all the latest updates. So the theory that ordering from LHR is the only way to get the newest machines seems to be questionable.

Smoken D
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
My qc is doing just fine also. Now everything else:(

liquidguitars
11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I remember one of my first dirt bikes TS90 it came with fenders, lights, oil tank, junk i really did not need as i motocross kid and Malcolm Smith was the man. As i looked over the bike and decided how to remove the wires and strip it for racing my older bro said "why do you not ride it for a little bit with the street gear?" I did for a few days then i striped the bike down added the aftermarket tuned pipe, 21" front wheels new/old gas tank that t just painted and was off to the track to race.

Good to have options and sometime and it nice to run stock for a few. keep the QC if it works out for you and if not look for something that will get you down the road.

LG

dbfletcher
11-15-2009, 07:01 PM
I remember one of my first dirt bikes TS90 it came with fenders, lights, oil tank, junk i really did not need as i motocross kid and Malcolm Smith was the man. As i looked over the bike and decided how to remove the wires and strip it for racing my older bro said "why do you not ride it for a little bit with the street gear?" I did for a few days then i striped the bike down added the aftermarket tuned pipe, 21" front wheels new/old gas tank that t just painted and was off to the track to race.

it good to have options and sometime and it nice to run stock for a few.
keep the QC if it works out for you and if not look for something that will get you down the road.

LG

Who would have guessed.... LG a little hellian as a child! I imagine you must of had a few broken bones. But I agree completely... try stock for a bit and you want to up the performance a tad... look at aftermarket items.

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
my qc is doing just fine.

Same here!!

seabass
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
While doing the Lowes demo a couple of weeks ago, I met a guy that just bought his machine from Sears. Contrary to popular belief, it had all the latest updates. So the theory that ordering from LHR is the only way to get the newest machines seems to be questionable.

Even my refurb from sears has all the updates that I can see, new truck etc.

wasacop75
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I have almost 200 hrs on my machine. Bought in March or so when i returned from the desert. Only thing i have had to change was the sand paper belts. got the new ones on it. Not a perfect recalibration, but close enough for now.
Have too many Christmas gifts to get done.

Vacumn System is a must. whether its a down draft or something else, it is a must.

My next purchase will be a rock. with a couple of bits. just hope the LOML agrees....