PDA

View Full Version : Sears Purchase: Refurb vs New...

RandyG
11-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Total newb here :) Longtime lurker, first time poster!

I have been using a foamlinx cnc hotwire machine for years and have decided to sell it and move into wood. I am excited but scared to buy the CW! It seems you either like it or hate it beyond belief AND you let everyone know.

Now a simple question to the masses: I can afford a new machine from Sears and would go the route of the 5 year warranty to cut down on the many issues I know I will face down the road. The other thought is to save the $$ upfront and buy a refurbed with the understanding I will be spending on upkeep and fixing it. I have two sons who are heavy into Scouting activities and we plan on using it primarily for that.

Thoughts? New vs used... :)

Also, when I go to order one online they state it will take up to 23 days to get it. Is that normal for Sears?

Thanks in advance.

PS I love to take things apart and am pretty handy (years of RC airplanes) so fixing isn't a concern.

c6craig
11-13-2009, 10:06 PM
RandyG -

Welcome to the forum. This is a topic that has been talked in circles in many many posts with lots of opinions. My suggestion would be to use the search feature here for "reconditioned" and "refurb" and you will see some of them.

Leave some reading time, some of these posts go on for a while :)

Good luck with your decision and purchase. I'm sure whichever way you go you will enjoy the machine and it's capabilities.

Craig

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM

I have been using a foamlinx cnc hotwire machine for years and have decided to sell it and move into wood. I am excited but scared to buy the CW! It seems you either like it or hate it beyond belief AND you let everyone know.

Now a simple question to the masses: I can afford a new machine from Sears and would go the route of the 5 year warranty to cut down on the many issues I know I will face down the road. The other thought is to save the $$ upfront and buy a refurbed with the understanding I will be spending on upkeep and fixing it. I have two sons who are heavy into Scouting activities and we plan on using it primarily for that.

Also, when I go to order one online they state it will take up to 23 days to get it. Is that normal for Sears?

Thanks in advance.

PS I love to take things apart and am pretty handy (years of RC airplanes) so fixing isn't a concern.

My opinion is if you can afford it.. for a first machine go with a new unit. After you get familiar with thier operation and if you end up looking for a second one, by all means go the refurb route. Some users swear by the 5 year warrenty... some think it is a waste. Again, if you can afford it.. i would go that direction. Since you have been lurking, I am sure you noticed that many members are willing to go way out of their way to help troubleshoot issues and offer advice. The machine can be very frustrating at times, but if you continue to work through things with an openmind, eventually you start having lots of fun with this very unique machine. Good luck with which ever route you take.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
RandyG-

I hate it when people tell me to use the search, but I was truly trying to be helpful as there is just tons of opinions on this topic. here a few of the threads to get you started in your reading.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13294&highlight=refurb&page=4

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13373&highlight=refurb

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12918&highlight=refurb

Craig

RandyG
11-13-2009, 10:21 PM
I have noticed that this is one of the best forums around to help the new owners like myself and that played into getting a CW. I have a Sears store / repair place about 5 miles from me so that will be handy if needed.

Kind of off topic but has anyone done much in the scouting world for carving? I am looking at the pinewood derby plaques and some Boy Scout items including an Eagle Scout design plaque for the 14yo next year.

Thanks!
Randy

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
RandyG-

I hate it when people tell me to use the search, but I was truly trying to be helpful as there is just tons of opinions on this topic. here a few of the threads to get you started in your reading.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13294&highlight=refurb&page=4

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13373&highlight=refurb

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12918&highlight=refurb

Craig

Craig,

I wrestle with that very same thing almost daily. The position I have decided to adopt is for total newbie's...I try not to confuse them more with asking them to figure out the search features of the forum.. and just being a little redundant by stating the opinions again. As users start to get more familiar with the forum then I try to lead them to search.... much like you have by providing a few links and giving them clues as to what search terms may work well. I think that is a good balance.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
RandyG-

Funny you ask, we were just talking about this the other day.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13446

Regardless of what machine you get you already made the best decision by joining the forum. Here you will find answers to almost (if not every) question or problem you could encounter. Plus the people are great and helpful.

Craig

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I have noticed that this is one of the best forums around to help the new owners like myself and that played into getting a CW. I have a Sears store / repair place about 5 miles from me so that will be handy if needed.

Kind of off topic but has anyone done much in the scouting world for carving? I am looking at the pinewood derby plaques and some Boy Scout items including an Eagle Scout design plaque for the 14yo next year.

Thanks!
Randy

Randy

Have you had an opportunity to download the trial version of designer and play with it at all? If you havnt done so, I would recommend it as a great place to start.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Craig,

I wrestle with that very same thing almost daily. The position I have decided to adopt is for total newbie's...I try not to confuse them more with asking them to figure out the search features of the forum.. and just being a little redundant by stating the opinions again. As users start to get more familiar with the forum then I try to lead them to search.... much like you have by providing a few links and giving them clues as to what search terms may work well. I think that is a good balance.

Doug Fletcher

Doug,

Yeah, I posted it as being helpful, but 2 minutes after posting realized I sounded kinda jerky so thought I would go back and leave a few breadcrumbs to follow :)

Craig

RandyG
11-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Also, I noticed in another post there is speculation of a 20% off sale on Black Friday at Sears? Would the machine be covered under that?

c6craig
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Also, I noticed in another post there is speculation of a 20% off sale on Black Friday at Sears? Would the machine be covered under that?

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but if you aren't in a rush it wouldn't hurt to wait and see. I doubt a call to Sears will get you any straight answers...

Craig

WayneNero
11-14-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks in advance.

Some insight on 'Referb' as far as I know...

When someone buys a carvewright / compucarve new in the box and takes it home and plays with it for a couple of weeks and returns it for what ever reason. The store cannot legally sell it as 'open box' because it was USED, might be malfunctioning and returned. So the manufacturer will replace everything on the chassis, inspect it just like a 'New in the Box' unit thus making the unit FACTORY NEW which is a Referb.

The only difference is one is used and the other is fresh.

So, if you buy one open it up, realized you wanted a toaster instead and returned it, the store can sell it as a return/open box.

Anything not bought from the manufacture or the retailer would be considered 'at your risk' so you might have to spend a few buck to make it work, or not in some cases.

Hope this helps :)

WayneNero
11-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Thanks in advance.

Some insight on 'Referb' as far as I know...

When someone buys a carvewright / compucarve new in the box and takes it home and plays with it for a couple of weeks and returns it for what ever reason. The store cannot legally sell it as 'open box' because it was USED, might be malfunctioning and returned. So the manufacturer will replace everything on the chassis, inspect it just like a 'New in the Box' unit thus making the unit FACTORY NEW which is a Referb.

The only difference is one is used and the other is fresh.

So, if you buy one open it up, realized you wanted a toaster instead and returned it, the store can sell it as a return/open box.

Anything not bought from the manufacture or the retailer would be considered 'at your risk' so you might have to spend a few buck to make it work, or not in some cases.

Hope this helps :)

RandyG
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I am going to buy a new one at Sears on BlackFriday where I read the ad stating 20% off benchtools and get the 5 year extended warranty. This will be one less thing to worry about as I can just call them and get it replaced if something comes up.

Christmas is coming early... :)

hess
11-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I am going to buy a new one at Sears on BlackFriday where I read the ad stating 20% off benchtools and get the 5 year extended warranty. This will be one less thing to worry about as I can just call them and get it replaced if something comes up.

Christmas is coming early... :)
the 5 year should cost no more than 280.00 it is somewhat bendable dont let them push you beyond 300

good luck