PDA

View Full Version : Stuck bit

jussi
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I tried my second carving today. Something a little more ambitious than simple text I did the first time. Now my 1/8" carving bit is stuck and I can't seem to remove it from the chuck.

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I tried my second carving today. Something a little more ambitious than simple text I did the first time. Now my 1/8" carving bit is stuck and I can't seem to remove it from the chuck.

There are several posts about that on here. The thing that always worked best for me was simply to let things cool down and normally the bit would come out easily using the bit removal tool.

Here is one.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12050&highlight=bit+stuck&page=5

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 07:53 PM
WOW... It's been a while since we saw stuck bit posts.... A Regular site here before the ROCK...

There is a thing I call the Sling Shot where you pull back the QC outer ring and let it snap forward. It will cause the bit to SHOOT out of the QC. Put a rag down to keep the bit tip from getting damaged.

The Bit Wrench will help too... Pry - Rotate - Pry - rotate. Easy does it... Not like opening a bottle of beer.....

Good Luck,

Buy a ROCK.... It will prevent this problem... Read up on it first as it could void your warranty.

AL

cestout
11-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Doug's advice is probably the correct advice, but to prevent this in the future check my post under wiggley bit just above this.
Clint

Chief
11-13-2009, 11:40 PM

Jussi,

WHEN my machine was working, the bit was difficult, even using the bit removal tool. But when I wrapped a piece of towel in my hand to protect it and gave the bit a little jerk with the sleeve on the QC up, it popped out. I also put a towel under the chuck to catch the bit and it reduces the chance of anything bad happening to your bitch.

Chief