PDA

View Full Version : Bit and adaptor wiggle

flemingswoodworks
11-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello I noticed that after I carve for a few minutes the bit and adaptor seems to wiggle..I tried others and the same thing happens...anyone know what causes this...its the orig type chuck
thanks will

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Hello I noticed that after I carve for a few minutes the bit and adaptor seems to wiggle..I tried others and the same thing happens...anyone know what causes this...its the orig type chuck
thanks will

Are you sure it is being locked correctly in the qc? Occasionally I had inserted bit that I thought were inserted and locked correctly, but as soon it started to carve.. it would go flying. Also, do you see any dents on you qc adapters (cause by the three balls in the qc)... if so then I beleive you will need to replace your qc and all you qc adapters. If you have to do that, seriously weigh the pro's and cons of switching to the Rock chuck.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Are there BB Marks in the bit holders like this?

If so... YOU need to replace the bit holder, all of them that are worn and the QC or Quick Change...

For the money you are better off buying a Rock Chuck.

QC's and Bit holders are not a warranty item. BUT the Rock Chuck "COULD" void you warranty.... Most of us that have the Rock Chuck are WAY past 200 Cut Motor Hours.....

AL

flemingswoodworks
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
hello no b b marks...it does it even with bran new bits..do you think i need to pull ithe chuck off and give it a good cleaning and soaking?

jonathan68
11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
hello no b b marks...it does it even with bran new bits..do you think i need to pull ithe chuck off and give it a good cleaning and soaking?

I had the same problem. The problem just kept getting worse. I switched to the rock and never looked back. I highly recommend it.

jab73180
11-13-2009, 05:55 PM
hey i agree with AL Doug and Jonathan about the rock. my qc was loose before i got the rock and dove into the board.

Icutone2
11-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Get the ROCK!

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 07:45 PM
You just need to know the rules... If you install a Rock and you send the machine back for something else they might not honor the warranty.

They expect the machine to arrive with a QC.

There was a post about someone sending in a Rock and had to pay for something on a warranty machine.

I encourage the ROCK but I have 800 + carving hours on one of my machines. I had a 35 gallon trash can full of sawdust from the cut bit the other day..... That is a "bit" of WOOD..... 6 months worth....

Just got the first list of Fire Tags for that $4500.00 Fire Tag Job... I need to setup my Plastic Cutting machine with dust collection.

:roll:
AL

rjustice
11-13-2009, 08:13 PM
From what was reported to me, the "USE" of the Rock chuck was not what caused the problem...

The warranty of the "Z" truck was not honored because it was damaged. The way i undersand it, the damage was from the user "wallowing" out the square hole in the spindle when trying to remove a QC that had "RED" Loctite...

The above information came from the user that was affected, not LHR.

I do have a copy of an email sent by LHR, to another user that states "the use of the Rock Chuck will not void the warranty, but it is not supported by LHR"...

While this is only my observation, and interpretation of the information, I think it is intenting to communicate that if you Damage your spindle while trying to remove the QC, i wouldn't expect LHR to honor replacement of the Z truck. This seems reasonable.

This is also one of the reasons that i have posted in the past to be very careful about using a "makeshift" tool to insert into the square hole in the spindle to loosen up the QC.. If it doesnt fit near perfectly, you will likely damage the hole. Once the hole is damaged, it will likely transfer the damage to your Flex shaft cable.

Hope this helps, and if there is anyone that has information to the contrary, please let us know.

Thanks,

Ron

cestout
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
I have posted this before and here it is again. To install your bit and adaptor with no wiggle, no ball dimples and no problems: First keep it oiled at the top. Put a little lite oil on all 4 edges of the square, then snap it up and down several times. Put oil on your finger and rub it around the inside. Occasionally put a little oil in the cup in the top of the adaptor. Second and most important, when you install the bit and adaptor, grab the ring around the QC, wiggle and pull down kind of hard. It will move down some more. Now try to wiggle the bit and it will not. I have about 140 hrs on this machine, and a lot on the machine this one replaced (thank you Sears) since I figured this out and no bit problems and no dimples. I also keep a thin film of lithium grease on the adaptors to prevent corrosion I hope.
Clint

seabass
11-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I did the same thing Clint and never had an issue either except I used dry lube.

I got the rock chuck, but really I should have waited until I had issues, my QC ran quiet and true. With the Rock chuck I have now broken 4 bits and I almost regret changing.

Unless you are having issues I say leave the QC, if it aint broke don't fix it I guess. My rock is no more quiet and has no better vibration at all than the QC, oh well.

Just keep the QC and the bit holder with something slippery on them.

c6craig
11-13-2009, 10:52 PM
I run two machines right now, one has the QC and one has the rock. I haven't had problems with either of them. The rock runs just a tad quieter to my naked ear test, but not enough to write home about.

I get a cleaner carve with the rock, but I am also using RJ bits for the chuck, so you cant really make a comparison there.

The QC is easier to change bits, but that may just be because I haven't gotten used to holding the bit in place while turning the t-handle on the RC. Having to line up the sleeves and bits with the slit is tough for me, they always seem to move a little out of place when I am trying to clamp it.

Craig