PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Patterns Available

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I just wanted to make an offer.

My sons and I have a sign carving company and do a lot of centerline carving. We have become extrordinarily proficient at creating Vector designs in Illustrator that carve well. Because of the lack of software support for importing them, I bought font editing software, and can create font sets out of dingbats. This has been working really well for us.

If any of you need any centerline images let me know and I can help you out. I can place them in a font set and send them to you. I would offer them in the pattern store, but am unsure how to to that since it requires a font set.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dan

Mike Witt
11-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I would be very interested in any that you might have to offer, I also do signs and crafts in El Paso, Texas

guisado@elp.rr.com

Thanks in advance

Mike

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I would be very interested in any that you might have to offer, I also do signs and crafts in El Paso, Texas

guisado@elp.rr.com

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hey Mike,
I'll email you some screen shots of some signs we created. I'd just send you the actual CW file but you would not be able to see the images without having the font set installed.

If you have worked with Dingbats before you will know that there are a TON of them out there but often they are not a complete font set so the CW software won't read the file, or they simply don't carve well because they were designed to print, not carve. Usually the lines on the images are way too fine and small.

What I plan on doing is to make a complete font file of boxes, and import the Dingbat under the number 1 in the font set, or if people want more than 1 image, I can fill up the font set as needed.

then you just type the image in as text, resize it, and pick your bit. Generally speaking, the wider the lines and the less detail, the deeper the carve. I usually use the 60 degree v bit for most of the carvings.

I will try to send email you some JPEGS, later today. I'll be anxious to hear what you think of them.

Dan
ADCcustomcarving@gmail.com

jgowrie
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Dan,

Maybe you can post the picts here. Sure more people would like to see what you have going on!

John

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 12:53 PM
So the key here is the font editing software.... How about more about that....

AL

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
So the key here is the font editing software.... How about more about that....

AL

This tips and tricks edition (May 09) covers one way if you havent already read it.

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_May09.pdf

Doug Fletcher

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Dan,

Maybe you can post the picts here. Sure more people would like to see what you have going on!

John

Hi John,
Good idea if I can figure out how to imbed an image here on the boards I will do that.

Dan

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
This tips and tricks edition (May 09) covers one way if you havent already read it.

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_May09.pdf

Doug Fletcher

Hi Doug,

Yep that is an excellent Tip and Tricks on how to do it. You have to buy the font software and it was actually more difficult than it appeared to do it.

We spent quite a bit of time in trial and error with images creation in AI to make it work. If you are good with vector images though it should be a snap if you have the font software. Working with vectors was really a learning curve for me as I had only dealt with Photoshop previously.

Dan

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Testing....

Let's see if I can post a few samples here...

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Helmet.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Celticknot.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Mancave.jpg

jgowrie
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Really nice work Dan. This is actually the look I was hoping for with patterns I import. I prefer this finish look to the carved 3d look as most of my work is done on cabinet doors.

So, until I get this all figured out, are you offering this as a paid service if someone submits a pattern to you?

John

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Really nice work Dan. This is actually the look I was hoping for with patterns I import. I prefer this finish look to the carved 3d look as most of my work is done on cabinet doors.

So, until I get this all figured out, are you offering this as a paid service if someone submits a pattern to you?

John

Um....sure. We should try it first. Send me an image, and I will have my sons work on it in Illustrator. I will import it into a font file and make a screen print of how it will carve. If you like it, and we can make it work, then I will sell it to you as a dingbat in a font file. If you want more than one, I can but them under different numbers or letters as part of that font set.

Just so you all know, I am helping my sons get started in this business. I am very proud of the work they are doing. They have each invested over 2k of their hard earned money and I think this would be a good way for them to augment what they are making on the signs they are carving.

I just don't know what to tell them what to charge for these images. I can tell you that based on the complexity they can be pretty time consuming to create. I will look through the pattern depot and estimate pricing based on what they are charging. Sound fair?

Dan

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
John I would also be more than willing to help you out in any way I can if you want to do these yourself.

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Here are a couple more samples of Centerline images we have created.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/swordsandlogo.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Caveman1.jpg

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Dan,

Those are very very nice. I'm sure your sons have spent a lot of time working on those. Great job!

Doug Fletcher

jpaluck
11-13-2009, 04:08 PM
dan which font editing software are you using?

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
dan which font editing software are you using?

I am using the professional version of High-Logic Font creator. It allows for better manipulation and placement than the home version. It also allows for some advanced countouring and batch transformation of glyphs.

The home version worked but I upgraded cause this one is more intuitive for the stuff we are doing.

The home version of the software is $79 and the pro version is $199.

The real trick comes in when you try to import the vectors....It sometimes jumbles up all the paths and they look like spagetti. Now, I often take the vectors to photoshop, make all the backgrounds transparent, then let the font creator import them and convert the countours to Vector paths.

jpaluck
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I am messing around with the home version but I am having issues when importing the vectors..automatically shades everything even when I havent had them shaded

jpaluck
11-13-2009, 04:31 PM
how do you convert the contours to vector paths?

Chief
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I am using the professional version of High-Logic Font creator. It allows for better manipulation and placement than the home version. It also allows for some advanced countouring and batch transformation of glyphs.

The home version worked but I upgraded cause this one is more intuitive for the stuff we are doing.

The home version of the software is $79 and the pro version is $199.

The real trick comes in when you try to import the vectors....It sometimes jumbles up all the paths and they look like spagetti. Now, I often take the vectors to photoshop, make all the backgrounds transparent, then let the font creator import them and convert the countours to Vector paths.

Dan,

Could you do a Tricks and Tips on your process? I'm not interested so much in the signs but I do love the art work and I know my granddaughter would get a kick out of seeing her art engraved.

Thank you.

Chief

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I am messing around with the home version but I am having issues when importing the vectors..automatically shades everything even when I havent had them shaded

Here are the steps I take:

1) Try creating your vectors in AI. Save them as an AI file.

2)Now start photoshop and make a new image of the size you want and make sure it is transparent.

3)Then open your AI image in photoshop as a separate document.

4)On your new document add a layer

5) on the AI file, select and copy the entire AI image and paste it onto the new layer of the new document.

6)Next use the magic wand to select all white areas and use the eraser to remove them leaving only the black paths behind.

7) now select the entire image and copy it to the clipboard, open the font software and past it. Then just add the bounding boxes and resize it to fit in the font box parameters. Remember to resize the Font box to keep the glyph in the lines of the box and then view the glyph using test font before closing.

The entire process can be pretty cumbersome, but this process works for me.

seabass
11-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Seems like some money to be made putting all this in one software package

Bowengg
11-13-2009, 07:20 PM

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/swordsandlogo.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Caveman1.jpg

Hey ... I think I was stationed on the same ship as this Boatswain Mate.:mrgreen:

Chief
11-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Dan,

You have me a little confused. Step 3 you open you AI image in PS. Step 4. By new document, I'm presuming you mean adding a layer to the file just imported. Now, the real confusion comes in Step 5, you say to select the entire AI image and paste it onto the new layer of the new document, which I'm presuming you mean the one in Photoshop. Since you already have the image on one layer in PS, why add the same image from AI on a different layer?

Chief

Dan Frecks
11-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Dan,

You have me a little confused. Step 3 you open you AI image in PS. Step 4. By new document, I'm presuming you mean adding a layer to the file just imported. Now, the real confusion comes in Step 5, you say to select the entire AI image and paste it onto the new layer of the new document, which I'm presuming you mean the one in Photoshop. Since you already have the image on one layer in PS, why add the same image from AI on a different layer?

Chief

I am referring to a new photoshop image so basically you have 2 images open in photoshop. One new one which is blank with 2 transparent layers, the other is the AI image which you open with PS. You copy the entire AI image and paste it onto the layer you added over the background, then make the white areas transparent so in effect you have two transparent layers with just the paths pasted on the top layer. This has been the only way I have been able to make it cut and paste well into Font Creator.

You will see from Jpaluk's earlier post that he is having a hard time importing the vectors directly into Font Creator....I had the same issue. That is why I use the transparent layer copy to the clipboard and them paste into Font Creator. I have never had a problem with it jumbling up the paths that way.

I know it seems terribly convoluted, but it is the only way I have found to make it work well, though admittedly I am no expert with vectors.

PS ... Part of the confusion may be....I have two documents open within Photoshop, one is an AI image the other is a blank PS image. I have Photoshop 7 which allows me to have numerous files open in different formats and paste elements back and forth between different kinds of formats. It is possible that other versions of PS may not allow this....I am not sure. If you'd like me to give it a try with one of your daughter's pictures let me know and I'll give it a shot for you.

Chief
11-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I am referring to a new photoshop image so basically you have 2 images open in photoshop. One new one which is blank with 2 transparent layers, the other is the AI image which you open with PS. You copy the entire AI image and paste it onto the layer you added over the background, then make the white areas transparent so in effect you have two transparent layers with just the paths pasted on the top layer. This has been the only way I have been able to make it cut and paste well into Font Creator.

You will see from Jpaluk's earlier post that he is having a hard time importing the vectors directly into Font Creator....I had the same issue. That is why I use the transparent layer copy to the clipboard and them paste into Font Creator. I have never had a problem with it jumbling up the paths that way.

I know it seems terribly convoluted, but it is the only way I have found to make it work well, though admittedly I am no expert with vectors.

PS ... Part of the confusion may be....I have two documents open within Photoshop, one is an AI image the other is a blank PS image. I have Photoshop 7 which allows me to have numerous files open in different formats and paste elements back and forth between different kinds of formats. It is possible that other versions of PS may not allow this....I am not sure. If you'd like me to give it a try with one of your daughter's pictures let me know and I'll give it a shot for you.

Dan,

It's still a little confusing. I'll just have to try it.

My daughter-in-law just gave my wife the latest picture of our granddaughter. It's something like 150m in size which I'll reduce to a more manageable DPI. But how do I get it to you?

Chief

Dan Frecks
11-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Dan,

It's still a little confusing. I'll just have to try it.

My daughter-in-law just gave my wife the latest picture of our granddaughter. It's something like 150m in size which I'll reduce to a more manageable DPI. But how do I get it to you?

Chief

Chief email it to me at adccustomcarving@gmail.com

Understand that I have to turn it into solid carvable paths that are thick enough to carve right? So it will be her picture, but may need some simplification or modifications to be carveable right?

I'll do my best for ya though!

If you could size the image to approx 4x6" at 300 dpi that would be fine, The higher resolution the better, but at least 300 dpi if possible.

Dan

Chief
11-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Chief email it to me at adccustomcarving@gmail.com

Understand that I have to turn it into solid carvable paths that are thick enough to carve right? So it will be her picture, but may need some simplification or modifications to be carveable right?

I'll do my best for ya though!

If you could size the image to approx 4x6" at 300 dpi that would be fine, The higher resolution the better, but at least 300 dpi if possible.

Dan

Dan,

I guess I'll have to make it a little smaller. It was an 8x10 and I scanned it at 1600 dpi. It's somewhere around 150m which is just a TAD too big.

Chief

TurtleCove
11-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Help me out here...

Why would I wish to perform a carving like these you've shown, using a Centerline font, as opposed to just carving it?

AskBud
11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Help me out here...

Why would I wish to perform a carving like these you've shown, using a Centerline font, as opposed to just carving it?

regardless of whether you use a Font application such as above or just replace lines in your image with vectors, the reasoning is similar.
1) They will work, if you do not need the 3D effect of the original.
and
2) You wish to shorten your carving time.

The following 82.2 MB link is about changing from a 3D pattern to a Vector carve.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Design%20a%20Stain%20Glass%20Project.zip

jgowrie
11-17-2009, 07:00 AM
regardless of whether you use a Font application such as above or just replace lines in your image with vectors, the reasoning is similar.
1) They will work, if you do not need the 3D effect of the original.
and
2) You wish to shorten your carving time.

The following 82.2 MB link is about changing from a 3D pattern to a Vector carve.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Design%20a%20Stain%20Glass%20Project.zip

Bud,

Just a quick thank you for all these great videos you have made available to everyone on the forum. I'm really enjoying them !

John

Dan Frecks
11-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Help me out here...

As Bud said below, centerline carves are a lot faster, and for text and thin lines a LOT cleaner. Centerline and vector fonts and images make the Carvewright carve more like a CNC routing machine. We carve signs with pretty intricate designs live on site at fairs etc.... Centerline carves are often 50% faster, the text is usually a lot cleaner, and the machine runs like 30% quieter. It is a good option for us. In my opinion it is nowhere near as beautiful as the 3d carves on pictures and such but it is a great option for signs and such.

Dan