PDA

View Full Version : Staining question

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Does anyone have any advice on staining carvings? Basically we are carving personalized signs where we want the recessed letters and pictures to be darker than the surface of the sign.

We have tried staining the whole sign dark, then sanding off the surface, but man does that gum up the sandpaper in a hurry. Sometimes it takes 4 quarter sheets of sandpaper (or more) to get the stain off the surface and leave the dark lines in the carving behind.

We then apply a lighter stain to the whole board. Looks great but what a HASSLE.

I keep thinking there has to be a better way. Any suggestions out there?

Dan

DocWheeler
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Dan,

My first thought would be to use a water-based stain.
Other than that, perhaps you could seal the top surface before carving to avoid the staining of the top surface.

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I would treat the board surface with sanding sealer first then carve... That would do it...

AL

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 01:55 PM
But then the sanding sealer would not accept stain or varnish after staining the carved areas right?

fwharris
11-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Dan,

Are you trying to use 2 different colors of stain on the boards?

What I do is use the same color of stain but in the carved areas just load up the stain and it will soak in more becuase of the more opened grain in the wood..

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Trial an error.... Yes stain will work but to a lessor degree with the sanding sealer.

AL

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Dan,

Are you trying to use 2 different colors of stain on the boards?

What I do is use the same color of stain but in the carved areas just load up the stain and it will soak in more becuase of the more opened grain in the wood..

Yes we are trying to use 2 colors. We are carving signs in redwood and it is already so pourous that loading up in the carved areas just does not make enough difference to the surface of the sign. When I get some pictures I will post them so you can see what we are trying to achieve.

DocWheeler
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Dan,

There are threads here that descries the use of contact paper (and shelf paper) to use to cover the top surface before carving. Carve through the surface material and stain/paint before removing the contact paper. You will get a little "bleeding" but it beats all of the other sanding.

Gunner
11-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I have done something like that, but instead of a sander I just ran the board through a planner. I then use liquid masking tape from an automotive paint dealer on the part already stained. Then restain the rest. The liquid masking peels off real easy. Then finnish as normal. Although do not use this before carving as it will gum up the carving bits.

wasacop75
11-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Sanding seal what is not carved and the area not sealed should take a deeper stain color. At least that has been my experience.. for what its worth...

mabco12
11-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi folks,
What about applying a thin veneer layer on top of the carving boards so that the outer area will be a different color that the text? Just a thought ?? I was thinking about giving it a try!!

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi folks,
What about applying a thin veneer layer on top of the carving boards so that the outer area will be a different color that the text? Just a thought ?? I was thinking about giving it a try!!

That sounds like a great idea! If you try it, please let us know how it works out. Oak veneer is way cheaper than solid oak!

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes we are trying to use 2 colors. We are carving signs in redwood and it is already so pourous that loading up in the carved areas just does not make enough difference to the surface of the sign. When I get some pictures I will post them so you can see what we are trying to achieve.

Dan I have a sign shop and I use redwood. What I do with recessed letters I normally just spray paint the letters black and have used white. I use Walmart 99 cent flat spray paint. With patterns or pictures depending on what it is I hand paint them and if I do not want to get spray paint on them I mask the pattern with tape.

Then once the paint dries I then plane the board. If you don't have a planer then use 80 grit sandpaper and work your way down to 100 grit. Paint dries faster then stain. Then instead of using another stain have you thought about a clear finish? I use water based polyurethane and using a hvlp sprayer I finish the sign. You will find it will darken the color and looks great.

Here are a few signs I have made. I used the method I explained above.

Ike

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Dan I have a sign shop and I use redwood. What I do with recessed letters I normally just spray paint the letters black and have used white. I use Walmart 99 cent flat spray paint. With patterns or pictures depending on what it is I hand paint them and if I do not want to get spray paint on them I mask the pattern with tape.

Then once the paint dries I then plane the board. If you don't have a planer then use 80 grit sandpaper and work your way down to 100 grit. Paint dries faster then stain. Then instead of using another stain have you thought about a clear finish? I use water based polyurethane and using a hvlp sprayer I finish the sign. You will find it will darken the color and looks great.

Here are a few signs I have made. I used the method I explained above.

Ike

These are great! I think however that paint may not get down into my patterns. I posted a print screen below and you'll see why. I use centerline carves by and large and the detail and lines are pretty fine. We've carved a lot of signs and I really need to get some pics of some of them to show you all. Our current stain process leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe I'll take some pics this weekend.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Mancave.jpg

I think I'll avoid the veneer idea. It would look way cool but I'd actually like to MAKE money on these silly signs :)

www.go3d.us
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Applied the light colored paint first and seal it with a clear coat. Let it completely dry. Then fills in the text area (try not to paint the whole board) with dark color (arcylic work best) then wiped off the excess with a flat sponge or cloth. You can wait until it dry which is much easier to remove but after it dry you will have to use damp cloth soaked with water or solvent to remove it. Then seal it with a clear coat again (this step is optional).
This technique can also be used to make something look old or antique.
Hope this help.

Ike
11-13-2009, 07:37 PM
These are great! I think however that paint may not get down into my patterns. I posted a print screen below and you'll see why. I use centerline carves by and large and the detail and lines are pretty fine. We've carved a lot of signs and I really need to get some pics of some of them to show you all. Our current stain process leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe I'll take some pics this weekend.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/adccustomcarving/Mancave.jpg

I think I'll avoid the veneer idea. It would look way cool but I'd actually like to MAKE money on these silly signs :)

It will you need to just spray it on and not worry about over spray. After I carve a sign either by hand or with my machine I blow it out and then with a torch I burn off the feathers. Then spray paint the area I want painted and I don't worry about staying in the lines! One thing make sure your carving is deep enough to be planed or sanded.

With your sign it will not be a issue at all spray the whole sign and then sand or plane the surface and you will outline all that was carve.

Here are a couple more examples, one sign is natural before I would paint and after being sanded it leaves only the letters black

Ike

ddouglass
11-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Ike,
I am confused.....if the UTM in the signs you showed is University of Tennessee Martin, then why do you show a Longhorn instead of a Skyhawk???:confused::mrgreen:

Ike
11-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Ike,
I am confused.....if the UTM in the signs you showed is University of Tennessee Martin, then why do you show a Longhorn instead of a Skyhawk???:confused::mrgreen:

Rodeo team my friend !!

Ike

hogiewan
11-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Stain the board the color you want the top to be and apply varnish. Carve, and then apply the stain you want for the carved regions. Finish as desired.

ddouglass
11-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Rodeo team my friend !!

Ike
Aah...I see. You might not want to display that in Texas or they will think the expanded to Tennessee....lol.

Ike
11-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Aah...I see. You might not want to display that in Texas or they will think the expanded to Tennessee....lol.

I am safe I am in Calif.! Every year I donate to UTM rodeo team for their yearly auction. I figured it can't be all bad a college you can get a degree to be a cowboy!

Ike