PDA

View Full Version : Raised carving with Centerline Text

soomro
06-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I am trying to carve a sign such that the pattern sticks up but I want to carve the text as centerline. If I draw a rectangle with carved region, the text goes away, since there is no way to specify depth with centerline text. Does anybody has any ideas?

Thanks
Munawar[/img]

wlhtrain
06-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I ran into this also. The way I got araound it was to raise the area where the text would appear. I would prefer to lower the text to the new surface. Anyone have any hints on that?

David M.
06-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I have not tested this on my machine yet but you should be able to cut the raster portion (background and leafs). Then, with a second file with the text in position, you are supose to be able to manually position the cutting head to the lower background depth ( like a cabnet door with a panel) and cut from there.

cajunpen
06-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I do not think that you wil be able to do Centerline text in a carved region. I don't think that the software will allow you go below the surface to do centerline. This is another one of those wish list items :)

David M.
06-09-2006, 12:23 PM
It won't do it through the software directly, but with two seporate files (one the background and the leaves, the othe text) the board will be treated as a flat surface and the machine can be tricked into preforming the operation. The centerline can be used on a cabnet door with raised edges, so why would this be any differant.? you cut the leaves and background, don't move the board from the machine, then run the second program to aply the text. I see no reason it won't work.

DWD
06-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Soomro, Try describing a new surface copied from the one with the raised leaves. Then delete the leaves from this surface and group it with the original surface. Depending upon which you do first the grouping will be either be additive or subtractive.

In the example there is a similar situation when adding a curved surface to one with carvings.

Dan

soomro
06-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Guys, thanks for your suggestions. I'll try David's two file option and let you know how it worked. Dan, I would love to try your suggestion as well, but it was bit over my head; perhaps because I am an engineer.

Thanks
Munawar

David M.
06-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I spoke to Chris Locechik this morning (unrelated) and asked about this job, he said we are on the right track, but you would have to make sure when running the second program that you make the machine measure the depth of the lower panel that is already carved. You may have to do this manually.

To do it manually you have to hit STOP when the machine is moving to position to find the surface, then a prompt will come up and you will have a choice to jog to possition (something to that affect) move it clearly into the lower field and let it measure, this is now the new reference point for the surface of the board. Chris said the machine still knows where it is in space even though you've moved it, and therefore will still know center top and bottom margins and it's start point.