PDA

View Full Version : no display after powering on

patneff
11-12-2009, 07:34 PM
After cleaning out machine I turned it on, CARVEWRIGHT message appeared then the display went empty. I checked for loose wires and everything looked good. Thought I saw a thread for this problem but cant find it. Could someone give me a hand?

jab73180
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
well first try the contrast button, then you may have to pull the bottom plate off the machine to see if the wires came off the switch. that sometimes happens. when doing a search, use " " it helps a lot when you have multiple words your searching for.

Ike
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
After cleaning out machine I turned it on, CARVEWRIGHT message appeared then the display went empty. I checked for loose wires and everything looked good. Thought I saw a thread for this problem but cant find it. Could someone give me a hand?

You might want to see if you didn't accidentally move the contrast knob under the screen. If it is turned too far the screen will go away.

Ike

patneff
11-13-2009, 07:48 AM
thank you for responding. I adjusted contrast and flashed the card, still no display. I flipped over machine removed bottom cover checked all connections, cleaned and while machine was turned over powered up. display appeared and project menu was displayed and functioned well. I put the bottom cover back on plugged machine back in, power up - no display!
Repeated this process again and upside down the display and all function work. Loose wire somewhere? or something else?

Jeff_Birt
11-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I would guess you have a bad power supply. There have been a few folks who found that one of the big coils shook loose. Do a search on power supplies from Digitalwoodshop he posted some great picture of the problem.

patneff
11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
thank you, i removed power supply searched over it and found that a wire from one of the coils under the metal plate had broken free from the solder. I will solder it and hopefully be up and running again

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Should be L2 on the power supply... Once it works again glue the coil and buy a ROCK.. The QC Vibration caused the coil to vibrate and stress crack the lead.

AL

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Should be L2 on the power supply... Once it works again glue the coil and buy a ROCK.. The QC Vibration caused the coil to vibrate and stress crack the lead.

AL

Do you have a recommendation on glue? Hot glue? Silicone Adhesive? Or it just doesnt really matter... as long as it is non-conductive?

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Even liquid Nail works good...

I even recommend in troubleshooting the L2 coil problem to lay the machine on it's back, muffler side to let the weight of the L2 coil push itself back into the hole and make contact...

AL

Jeff_Birt
11-13-2009, 01:02 PM
The QC Vibration caused the coil to vibrate and stress crack the lead.

Doubtful, as most of these cases have surfaces shortly after someone has fired up a new machine. Being banging around in shipment and not having enough glue on it from the factory is probably more likely. There are many thousands of machines out there still happily running the QC.

Do you have a recommendation on glue? Hot glue? Silicone Adhesive?

I would probably not use hot glue as it will soften up as the power supply warms. Silicone or even latex caulking would be ideal. Some type of silicone RTV can be a bit tough on electronics but the type used for caulking seems to be much more benign.

Ike
11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
This morning my CW did not have anything on the display. I turned the CW off and removed the flash card and blew it out and the insert slot. It came back I don't know if you tried that? If not I hope that is all it is?

Ike

patneff
11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
thanks for your help guys, I just replaced the QC last week, then the top left bearing on the X drive came loose and ended up braking one of my cutting bits, this machine is going on 3 years old, its been running about 80 hours since its last major (time down) problem. I've been looking in to the Rock and may try it, but with a new QC just purchased it may be some time.