PDA

View Full Version : Board Measurement...Help?

Dan Frecks
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi all,
My machine is incorrectly measuring the length of my board. It measures 1" shorter than every board I put into the machine. I have tried tape on the roller edge etc.....

If I put in an 18" board it inevitably measures it at 16.9 and change. Could it be a calibration problem or something? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Digitalwoodshop
11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I would start with calibration first then go from there....

AL

hess
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi all,
My machine is incorrectly measuring the length of my board. It measures 1" shorter than every board I put into the machine. I have tried tape on the roller edge etc.....

If I put in an 18" board it inevitably measures it at 16.9 and change. Could it be a calibration problem or something? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Want to trade? mine will measure correctly when asked to measure but when it sets up a cut it always tells me it is to short. Now if I have to deal with my wife telling me that is one thing but i will be dang if I will take it form a tooth pick maker

seabass
11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I always use a longer board(wider board also) than the design calls for and cut off the ends, really never care what the board is measured at. The carvings always come out correct.

If you have no other way to cut the boards this is a great reason to get a new saw.

If you cut a 16" design does it come out 16" or does it come out that inch short(the actual carving)?

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I did a recalibration (quite a process as if failed before getting it right) and it seems to have resolved the issue. The problem is that we are carving signs where the boards are pre cut. It would squash the design by an inch leaving an extra half inch of wood at each end of the pre cut board.

I got away from using extra lengths on boards by putting them in a sled. Either way I think it is good now.

Now I can tell MY wife that at least the machine doesn't think I an too short :D

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I did a recalibration (quite a process as if failed before getting it right) and it seems to have resolved the issue. The problem is that we are carving signs where the boards are pre cut. It would squash the design by an inch leaving an extra half inch of wood at each end of the pre cut board.

I got away from using extra lengths on boards by putting them in a sled. Either way I think it is good now.

Now I can tell MY wife that at least the machine doesn't think I an too short :D

On the measurement issue, how accurate can we expect there machines to be. Say for example we have a 48" board, I can normally get with in a 1/4" of that using masking tape and all the other 'board checks". Tyipcially that has been close enuf for me, but I was wondering if I should keep trying to recallibration to get it closer. Obviously smaller board the error is even less, but I would be thrilled if I could/should expect this machien to be dead on over a length like that.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
On the measurement issue, how accurate can we expect there machines to be. Say for example we have a 48" board, I can normally get with in a 1/4" of that using masking tape and all the other 'board checks". Typically that has been close enuf for me, but I was wondering if I should keep trying to recallibration to get it closer. Obviously smaller board the error is even less, but I would be thrilled if I could/should expect this machien to be dead on over a length like that.

Doug Fletcher

Part of the measurement problem(s) are caused by lack of secondary roller support of the longer boards. If I remember correctly, any board longer than 36" should have the benefit of secondary supports (My preference is 28" or longer, as some woods are heavier than others). Your wood/board/sled will tend to rise off the Brass roller if not fully supported. This will cause measurement problems as well as other damage to the machine and bits. Square and sharp (90 degree) ends are also a boon the correct measurements.
AskBud

Dan Frecks
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
On the measurement issue, how accurate can we expect there machines to be. Say for example we have a 48" board, I can normally get with in a 1/4" of that using masking tape and all the other 'board checks". Tyipcially that has been close enuf for me, but I was wondering if I should keep trying to recallibration to get it closer. Obviously smaller board the error is even less, but I would be thrilled if I could/should expect this machien to be dead on over a length like that.

Doug Fletcher

I don't know how accurate we can expect, but I thououghly cleaned my machine and lubed everything then went through the calibration process.

My board was exactly 36"X 5"X .75". I measured it as precisely as I possibly could, and after calibration the machine measured it within 2/100 of an inch to my visual measurements, so it was extremely accurate after the recalibration.

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Part of the measurement problem(s) are caused by lack of secondary roller support of the longer boards. If I remember correctly, any board longer than 36" should have the benefit of secondary supports (My preference is 28" or longer, as some woods are heavier than others). Your wood/board/sled will tend to rise off the Brass roller if not fully supported. This will cause measurement problems as well as other damage to the machine and bits. Square and sharp (90 degree) ends are also a boon the correct measurements.
AskBud

Thanks Bud, I guess I should of clarified a bit more. Both of my machines are mounted on portable miter stands with built in roller extentions so longer boards are always also supported. But I guess Im just wondering if I should expect to be with in a few hundreths of the actual board measurement or with all the variables involved wih measuring longer boards if it is unreasonable to expect that and my 1/4 varience is acceptable for that length.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Once your design is all set, remove all the hard set numbers or restraints on any items. Change them from yellow to green... A size change in the hard board will make the restraints give you problems....

Just a thought....

AL