PDA

View Full Version : Creating a bowl, or vase....tapered sides.

TurtleCove
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm wondering if the STL Importer will work, for creating something like a vase, or bowl? Something with tapered sides.

I'm envisioning that the Importer would simply slice the vase from top to bottom. Or would I encounter a problem with the angles of the taper?

hogiewan
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
you can slice however you want - whatever angle for any part

TurtleCove
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
ok, i guess i wasn't clear.
If you picture a vase, standing on a counter, and I was to slice it from the top down, and the vase was 8" tall, and I was after 1" slices...I'd end up with 8. 8 individual rings. But, each ring needs to be angled, or slopped on the outside.

Am I making any sense?

dbfletcher
11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
If you picture a vase, standing on a counter, and I was to slice it from the top down, and the vase was 8" tall, and I was after 1" slices...I'd end up with 8. 8 individual rings. But, each ring needs to be angled, or slopped on the outside.

Am I making any sense?

I'm pretty sure you'd be ok as long as your angle isnt shallower than 3.5 degrees (1/2 the total angle on the carving bit).

Doug Fletcher

TIMCOSBY
11-13-2009, 12:51 AM
and do it in 4 slices or less depending on width of vase.

hogiewan
11-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Am I making any sense?

If I understand what you are asking, you would just carve each slice as a doubled sided part

James RS
11-14-2009, 04:36 AM

Am I making any sense?

I made a quick one in another post is this what you are speaking of?

Jim

TurtleCove
11-16-2009, 01:33 PM
are the sides of those rings tapered? i can't really tell.
it looks like those rings would simply stack inside of each other, rather on top of each other.

mostlycold
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
it looks like those rings would simply stack inside of each other, rather on top of each other.

If anyone can figure out how to cut tapered rings for bowls and vases, it would be a huge plus for those of us that have RingMaster machines. The possibilities would become virtually unlimited (and multiple cuts from different exotic species without ruining an entire board wouldn't be half-bad either). Even with STL, I think the machine would still require a 4th cutting axis to cut flat rings at different beveled angles. I am a avid user of the RM (for years) and an earlier post asked about angles. Traditionally, the angles go from straight (for vase necks) and slope at angles (in and out) between 10 and 70 degrees (depending on the style of the vase, bowl, or top your designing). I have not run into a situation where there was a requirement to cut an angle at or below 1/2 the CW bit angle (3.5 deg) that wasn't a straight ring. The standard production bowl (just a cut & glue) would be around 27 degrees from base to lip. The stock is normally 3/4 thick (height) and the rings themselves can be adjusted between (1/4 to 5/16) (thick).

Following this post with much interest,
Dan

James RS
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Yes the design was tapered then sliced, the rings stack on each other not inside of each other.
It was something I did real quick in Moi and exported to Carvepic for the heightmap

TurtleCove
11-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Wow, Mostlycold...that's exactly where I'm coming from...

I too have a Ringmaster, and haven't used it in years, cuz i've been out of the woodworking hobby for quite some time. Now I'm ready to have some more fun, and was just hoping I could cut those same rings, using the CW...but I just don't see how I can do those slopes on the inside....

mostlycold
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow, Mostlycold...that's exactly where I'm coming from...

I too have a Ringmaster, and haven't used it in years, cuz i've been out of the woodworking hobby for quite some time. Now I'm ready to have some more fun, and was just hoping I could cut those same rings, using the CW...but I just don't see how I can do those slopes on the inside....

Yeah - I'm confused by that as well, but I've been following some of the other posts and there are some truely talented and gifted people on this forum. So we'll wait and see if someone can figure out a process to do this, or just state that it can't be done without a fourth access.

Pretty exiting for us RM users, if this can be worked out. Would allow us to exceed the size of the RM by almost 3 inches, add carved rings, and custom cut feature rings without destroying an entire piece of exotic wood.

TurtleCove
11-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Actually, couldn't the CW carve our rings, with the proper slopes to the outside, and straight walls on the inside? Since those straight walls will be inside our vessel, what do we care?

jpaluck
11-19-2009, 10:06 AM
I dont see why this cant be done unless I am missing something. Attached is a quick vase..LOL or jug I made in moi..too longer to create this post and resize the mpc and image than make the vase/jug. The rings look like the sides will taper. I used the stl importer and face the vase towards me and cut it from the top down..all the rings were not included otherwise the mpc would be too large to post...the inside could be hollowed out in Moi just trying to do a quick example to see if it could be done...my opinion it can be done...read an article recently in a scroll saw magazine about cutting rings to form a vase or bowl...I dont see why this can't be done by creating a vase or bowl in a 3d program and then importing with the stl importer then slicing from the top down unless I am missing something

TIMCOSBY
11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
but i would slice it from the top down instead of rings and have less peices to glue up.

mostlycold
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
but i would slice it from the top down instead of rings and have less peices to glue up.

Tim,

That's a another way of looking at it and could be done that way if you are using the same wood and don't care if the grain matches. I think the design part of the RM bowl construction (shifting the grain in offset paterns or adding a feature ring made from another type of wood, would be more difficult if you were trying to do that by cutting the whole piece in lengthwise sections).

As matching the inner and outer cuts on the rings themselves, I would think you could flip the board over and cut the exact inverse angle a wall thickness smaller which would produce the ring with the same curvature on both sides.

TurtleCove
11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I dont see why this cant be done unless I am missing something. Attached is a quick vase..LOL or jug I made in moi..too longer to create this post and resize the mpc and image than make the vase/jug. The rings look like the sides will taper. I used the stl importer and face the vase towards me and cut it from the top down..all the rings were not included otherwise the mpc would be too large to post...the inside could be hollowed out in Moi just trying to do a quick example to see if it could be done...my opinion it can be done...read an article recently in a scroll saw magazine about cutting rings to form a vase or bowl...I dont see why this can't be done by creating a vase or bowl in a 3d program and then importing with the stl importer then slicing from the top down unless I am missing something

The neck of your jug is made up of a ring, or rings, that have sloped sides. Both the inside and outside of those neck rings are sloped. The carvewright can slope the outside of the neck rings(s), but how can it slope the inside?

jpaluck
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
The neck of your jug is made up of a ring, or rings, that have sloped sides. Both the inside and outside of those neck rings are sloped. The carvewright can slope the outside of the neck rings(s), but how can it slope the inside?

LOL I didnt think of that

dbfletcher
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
LOL I didnt think of that

As a double sided carve, why cant this be done? I guesing I'm missing something here, but as long as the slope is greater that 3.5 degrees I would think we can do this.

Doug Fletcher

Fletcher
12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with Doug Fletcher - this should be no problem if doing a 2-sided carve. See the attached image and imagine each ring(3/4 inch thickness) being carved from both sides - the angles don't present a problem.

Cheers,
Darrin

TurtleCove
12-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Oh, absolutely...as a double sided carve.

But, is it really possible to be "dead-on" with double sided carvings, to create rings?

I've never tried double sided carving...so I don't know.

Fletcher
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I haven't had any issues with 2-sided carving. You may find a shift of a few thousandths of an inch but this lil machine is pretty accurate - especially if you use a nice square board and masking tape on the brass roller contact areas of your board as Al suggests in his signature line. I use tape for every carve and have not had an x-axis accuracy issue yet. Both the software and machine are set up to do two sided carves.

Darrin