PDA

View Full Version : Importing jpeg's

Timehunter
05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
After I have imported a jpeg file (picture-drawing-etc.) and put it into favorites, I then select it and put it on the board.
The problem I am having is the appearance of a frame around it.
I have tried changing depth and height...but...not any good results yet. I want to get rid of the frame or inset looking frame thingy<G>
At the same time I am trying to layer other imported jpeg's on one another and they all have that frame around them. The attached file is one that I am playing around with some pictures-etc for my sister's pool. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what I am doing wrong???

Thanks

Matty
05-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Here is a trigger fish, the one on the top left is a normal gif file and the one on the
Top right has a transparent background which was done using Photoshop.
The ones on the bottom are the same as the top but are in a carved region.
Play around with inverting the images to se the different effects.

Matty

http://www.idealmarking.com/carve/fish.gif

yenne
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
The problem I am having is the appearance of a frame around it.
There are a couple ways to remove this frame. Matty is correct that you can specify the background area to be transparent inside your photo editing software before you import the image. If this isn't available, you can use the "Raise" and "Lower" buttons to remove a black or white background from the image during the 3-D phase of the image import process. Those buttons should visibly make the rectangular border around the graphic disappear before you save it to your favorites.

Timehunter
06-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Matty and Yenne:
Thanks for the reply.
Matty, I guess you are talking about using Adobe Photoshop? What version?
Yenne, I tried a test picture and did several tests on it. Raised it 20 clicks-saved, imported again and lowered it 20 clicks saved, etc. inverted and raised 20 etc then inverted and lowered 20 clicks, saved and also saved an original, and an original inverted.
I loaded them all on one board from my favorites, then started experimenting more. I inverted them all. I changed depth to .125. changed height to 25 from 100, then 400 and 600.
I tried changing and feathering, different merging, etc,etc,etc<G>.........
I still can't get rid of the border.
I attached the jpeg. I was trying to do.
If this type can not be done I would sure like to know or know what I am doing wrong.
I you or anyone else could take a look and see if you can get rid of the top edge and frame to get it where, I guess just the umbrella and chairs are carved, or umbrella, chair and beach or something... it would sure help me now and in the future. If not possible?.....

Thanks,
Timehunter

Matty
06-03-2006, 06:22 PM
The image you have is full color all the way to the edges so the wizard won’t remove all of the background. Some images will work better than others. The version of Photo shop I use is CS2. I use the eraser tool which is found in most
graphic and pant programs, so you are not limited to photo shop.

The image I have posted shows the background removed (checkered area) this is transparent.
http://www.idealmarking.com/carve/nb.jpg

download the attached "test beach_Removed.mpc" and have a look, its not perfect but will give you an idea

Timehunter
06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Matty:
Thanks for your help. At least I know that it can be done.
Now I have to try again, and again till I get it<G>
Would have responded earlier but am selling my home and moving to the country. Nothing there but raw land, 10 acres, heavily wooded, hardwoods! (need a lumber kiln now!). Been really hectic and am only just starting.
I would like to try what you did but I can't find a way to save it to a folder, then save it to favorites-then patterns to put it on my board and play with it.
Something else I have to try again and again till I get it...?...!

Like I say ..at least I know it can be done.

Thanks again
Gordon

Juno2
08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
For backgrounds that seem tough to deal with by raising or lowering, a tool that I found very helpful with fairly complex background removal is the Photoshop Extract tool. Should be available on Photoshop 7, CS and CS2.

Old Salt
08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
:? To load a file in favoritss Right Click favorits and hit import. find file hit open

cpd3020
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
As I was having the same problem importing images that I had worked on in Adobe photoshop and searched the forum for the problem with the bounding box inset, I finally found out what was causing the problem.... and it was simple once found.

The title of this article is "importing jpeg's" and that is exactly the PROBLEM. When you want to import a logo or something and do away with the box, use Adobe Photoshop, leave nothing but the item to be carved and make the background transparent.

The most important step is SAVE IT AS A "GIF" FILE with TRANSPARENCY CHECKED in Adobe Photoshop. If you save it as a "jpeg" or "jpg" file, it loses all the transparency features during import into Carvewright and you get the box back, no matter how much "raising" or "lowering" you do.

Just this beginners observation!

Have a good one!

Shane

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
As I was having the same problem importing images that I had worked on in Adobe photoshop and searched the forum for the problem with the bounding box inset, I finally found out what was causing the problem.... and it was simple once found.

The title of this article is "importing jpeg's" and that is exactly the PROBLEM. When you want to import a logo or something and do away with the box, use Adobe Photoshop, leave nothing but the item to be carved and make the background transparent.

The most important step is SAVE IT AS A "GIF" FILE with TRANSPARENCY CHECKED in Adobe Photoshop. If you save it as a "jpeg" or "jpg" file, it loses all the transparency features during import into Carvewright and you get the box back, no matter how much "raising" or "lowering" you do.

Just this beginners observation!

Have a good one!

Shane

You are on the right track... but you would normally want to save as PNG which also recognizes transparency, but offer much better bit color depth than gif.

Doug Fletcher