PDA

View Full Version : X-drive gears

olkarch
11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I am having to replace the x-drive gears, and according to the instructions at step #5. "Remove the screws holding the X-Drive DC motor pack...Once these screws are removed the motorpack will drop down into the base."

Not true. The X-drive motor pack loosens a bit, and with some maneuvering I was able to remove the old gears, but unless the motorpack "drops" it is impossible to put in the new gears. Help! Can I somehow move the motorpack?

Olin

seabass
11-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Nope read that instructional again, that motor needs to drop out, take the screws all the way out and do not forget to take the bottom off the unit first. Once the screws are all the way out and the bottom off you will see that it is a tight fit, but the motor pack will drop out. I think forgetting to take the bottom off first is a common mistake on the replacing of the X-gears.

olkarch
11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Nope read that instructional again, that motor needs to drop out, take the screws all the way out and do not forget to take the bottom off the unit first. Once the screws are all the way out and the bottom off you will see that it is a tight fit, but the motor pack will drop out. I think forgetting to take the bottom off first is a common mistake on the replacing of the X-gears.

The bottom was the first thing off. Turns out you gave me the confidence to pull hard on the motor, and it finally pulled out. It was glued in with a flexible glue. No mention of that in the directions.

Olin

Digitalwoodshop
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I pulled the motor with the first one I did.... From now on I will use a cutter and cut away the plastic on the base of the machine that prevents the gear from being pulled directly off. I will then use some MASKING TAPE to seal the area when I install the plastic protection cover.

When installing the gear after pulling the motor you must do it at the same time... If you install the gear or motor first it won't work with the plastic lip. Install them at the same time.....

AL

olkarch
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I pulled the motor with the first one I did.... From now on I will use a cutter and cut away the plastic on the base of the machine that prevents the gear from being pulled directly off. I will then use some MASKING TAPE to seal the area when I install the plastic protection cover.

When installing the gear after pulling the motor you must do it at the same time... If you install the gear or motor first it won't work with the plastic lip. Install them at the same time.....

AL

I managed to get both the gears and the motor back in at the same time. It wasn't easy. Carvewright would do well to design their stuff to be fixed easily, or design their stuff to not break down so easily. Perhaps then they wouldn't have to charge extra for advice on how to fix the things that break down with every new project.

Thank goodness for the generosity of the Forum participants.

Olin

Digitalwoodshop
11-10-2009, 11:00 PM
The gear is designed to break rather than burn out the Servo Motor or Servo Drivers in the Computer... A $5.00 part rather then the $300.00 computer..... A Mechanical Fuse..... And yes your right... Designing a opening to replace the gear would be good... I will cut the plastic next time...

Good Job Fixing it. You do know why it broke right? Wedged shaped board or the right side guide too tight...?

AL

seabass
11-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I broke one because a piece of wood got stuck under the table and the belts just froze up while the x-drive just kept trying to work and work. I left it alone for an hour and came in and the teeth on the gears were gone. It took me a while to figure out a piece of wood was jammed in there.

Totally my fault. I messed up the tabs in the design and the pieces fell out of the board and went under the belt!

hess
11-11-2009, 02:29 AM
The gear is designed to break rather than burn out the Servo Motor or Servo Drivers in the Computer... A $5.00 part rather then the $300.00 computer..... A Mechanical Fuse..... And yes your right... Designing a opening to replace the gear would be good... I will cut the plastic next time...

Good Job Fixing it. You do know why it broke right? Wedged shaped board or the right side guide too tight...?

AL

hey al when you say cut the plastic do you mean right under the motor drive or do you remove a slot back of the motor. since my cw will be out of warranty next month the next time i have to do it i will

btw i have been checking out a mini mill and most are gear drive they do the same 5.00 gear vs more high dollar part

Kenm810
11-11-2009, 07:10 AM
AL's, Old post and photos

Think the X-axis Gear Blew (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7474&highlight=cut+the+plastic)

Digitalwoodshop
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
AL's, Old post and photos

Think the X-axis Gear Blew (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7474&highlight=cut+the+plastic)

In picture 3 of Post 2 look at the plastic lip edge at the 6 O'Clock position of the big gear. CUT that plastic LIP off.... Remember to tape the hole when you replace the X Gear cover to keep the dust out.

AL

hess
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
In picture 3 of Post 2 look at the plastic lip edge at the 6 O'Clock position of the big gear. CUT that plastic LIP off.... Remember to tape the hole when you replace the X Gear cover to keep the dust out.

AL GOT I was seeing something different

thanks to you both. That will work for me

olkarch
11-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I managed to get both the gears and the motor back in at the same time. It wasn't easy. Carvewright would do well to design their stuff to be fixed easily, or design their stuff to not break down so easily. Perhaps then they wouldn't have to charge extra for advice on how to fix the things that break down with every new project.

Thank goodness for the generosity of the Forum participants.

Olin

After replacing the gears there was still an x-axis stall. Turns out when checking the pressure with the bathroom scales, cranking it to 5 clicks gave it as much as 200 pounds pressure. Oops.

It runs about 80 pounds with one click. I need to calibrate the cranking pressure now but I haven't found the reference yet.

Olin