PDA

View Full Version : Soap box derby time!

lesuer27
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
My son is in a soap box derby and he really wants a 70ish style corvette! I carved one by hand last year and it looked great but.... now I have the carvewright.

Wondering if anyone can scan a model corvette from the top, import one as an stl to mpc (again just top), or any other type of help would be more than appreciated.

I will post pictures when its done so everyone can enjoy....besides I know I'm not the only one with a kid the cubscouts :D

seabass
11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Soap box derby is a cart the boy sits in, I think you mean Pinewood derby.

I have helped several of the kids and we have even gone to the state championships a few times after wining the local races. We always built for speed not looks so I can not help much on the looks, of course you can do something with the carvewright.

Good luck!!!

lesuer27
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah we took second place last year because we went with style instead of of function. Still like the Idea of making a beautiful model.

Ike
11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Soap box derby is a cart the boy sits in, I think you mean Pinewood derby.

I have helped several of the kids and we have even gone to the state championships a few times after wining the local races. We always built for speed not looks so I can not help much on the looks, of course you can do something with the carvewright.

Good luck!!!

If it is a Pinewood they are a blast! When my boys were in Royal Rangers kind of like Cub Scouts but part of the Assembly of God church. Anyway the very first time I only cut out the cars and had my 2 oldest boys (about 10 and 9 back then) hand sand them and I helped with the wheels.

Boy was I schooled real fast when listening to other Dad's say what they did to do this and bought this! Next year we made a Bat-mobile for my youngest son (6 years old) Then for my oldest we built a Rookie mobile and my middle boy a Jesus mobile! All 3 one first place for show! Then my older boys lost interest and the next year the youngest wanted a rocket ship and he won first for show and this one was fast until I tried to make it faster!

Wow I wish I had the Stl importer, but I don't dare ask the wife! It would be fun to try to make a Pinewood derby car with the CC! More fun by hand!

Ike

lesuer27
11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I thought about buying the stl importer but i barely have enough time to figure out the regular carvewright software... a jesus mobile would be sweet...o

Ike
11-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I thought about buying the stl importer but i barely have enough time to figure out the regular carvewright software... a jesus mobile would be sweet...o

Wow I envy you I loved making the cars I need to look for them to take some pictures! The Bat mobile was the most fun, and the Rockie mobile and Jesus mobile, both my boys designed them and did work a lot on them. My middle boy painted all his Jesus mobile.

Have fun! I am not sure how to make a derby car without the stl importer.

Ike

wasacop75
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Isnt there a deal to make cars with the CW?
Look at the education packages..Dont know if we can buy
it for ourselves...

Ike
11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Isnt there a deal to make cars with the CW?
Look at the education packages..Dont know if we can buy
it for ourselves...

Yes there is my friend! Oh how I wish I didn't squander my million away! I would buy it all! Don't laugh it's true!

Ike

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes there is my friend! Oh how I wish I didn't squander my million away! I would buy it all! Don't laugh it's true!

Ike

Is that even available to the general public? I thougth it was educational only?

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Is that even available to the general public? I thougth it was educational only?

Doug Fletcher

Not sure about that I would imagine LHR will sell it to anybody? Just checked and they give dealers location. I would think if you called they would sell a racing system. The Cub Scouts or like my old church Royal Rangers all can use the system. I would think it is like anything else LHR offers it is offered to all?

Ike

Kenm810
11-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Maybe Jason, at the LittleRedWoodshop might now.

c6craig
11-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I haven't even heard of Educational packages. I would love to hear more about them and their availability to us non-educators.

Can anyone point me to a link or something?

Sometimes the little things and projects they use to teach turn out to be pretty cool bases for more advanced projects or simple gifts.

Craig

AskBud
11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
http://carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_Home.htm
AskBud

Kenm810
11-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Craig, Is this what your looking for?

http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_racing.htm

c6craig
11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Yes to both of you! Thanks, I am going to shoot an email and see if it is available for purchase. Heck I would love to build that hope chest that kid built....the racers are just too cool too!

Craig

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes to both of you! Thanks, I am going to shoot an email and see if it is available for purchase. Heck I would love to build that hope chest that kid built....the racers are just too cool too!

Craig

Anothor bonus feature of the rig is that if you watch the setup video.. you end up making sure everything is pefectly square on you CW. So in a sense it becomes a calibration jig to make sure everything that is supposed to be dead on square really is dead on square. I'd buy it for that alone!

Doug Fletcher

seabass
11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey I can think of of uses for that jig even If I did not make one of the cars.

Oops you beat me to it Fletch, wonder how much just the jig is?

AskBud
11-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Craig

Use the Scouting angle. Talk about woodworking Merit Badges and such. It may help. If it is church rather than Scouts, that may get you in the door as well. Church Schools are Education as well.
AskBud

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey I can think of of uses for that jig even If I did not make one of the cars.

Oops you beat me to it Fletch, wonder how much just the jig is?

ya thnk they would trade my bit removal tool for one of thoses? heck.. now that i have rocks on both machines I'll give em both removal tools.
Hmmm.. now i wonder if the rock pontentially causes any issues since the size is a bit different.

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Use the Scouting angle. Talk about woodworking Merit Badges and such. It may help. If it is church rather than Scouts, that may get you in the door as well. Church Schools are Education as well.
AskBud

I still would think anybody could buy it? Just like the CC/CW we all can buy a machine. But I think schools receive a discount. As well as the racing system so it may cost more to the public?

Ike

wasacop75
11-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I guess i will call Jason and see if he can sell it to us.

Just called, waiting for him to call back..

LittleRedWoodshop
11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I got your message - but I have gotten a new phone and don't have alot of the numbers that are in the other phone (now in pieces). The answer is - not sure - I will have to contact LHR tomorrow and get the answer. I ill post it as soon as I know.