PDA

View Full Version : Help? Machine came with missing parts

Lord U
11-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi there,

I recently bought a sears compucarve and definitely willing to try it.
However, all the accessories are missing. I have the machine, but thats about it.

The card, the card reader, 2 bits, bit remover, all the small stuff the manual says it comes with. After talking with Sears and their management staff, they eventually told me I am basically on my own and have to buy the accessories myself.

*sigh*

I notice that I can buy the card reader and memory card from ebay.
I'm not sure about the default bits that come along with it.

Where can I buy those items? Specifically, what are the part #'s
A direct link or something to a webpage would be great.

Thanks,
- U

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi there,

I recently bought a sears compucarve and definitely willing to try it.
However, all the accessories are missing. I have the machine, but thats about it.

The card, the card reader, 2 bits, bit remover, all the small stuff the manual says it comes with. After talking with Sears and their management staff, they eventually told me I am basically on my own and have to buy the accessories myself.

*sigh*

I notice that I can buy the card reader and memory card from ebay.
I'm not sure about the default bits that come along with it.

Where can I buy those items? Specifically, what are the part #'s
A direct link or something to a webpage would be great.

Thanks,
- U

Can you tell us a little more about how your bought it? Waas it purchased directly from sears? Was it sold as new or as a refurb. Was it sold to you "as is"? You certainly should of got the accessories and they are not all that cheap to buy seperately.

Doug Fletcher

hess
11-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Can you tell us a little more about how your bought it? Waas it purchased directly from sears? Was it sold as new or as a refurb. Was it sold to you "as is"? You certainly should of got the accessories and they are not all that cheap to buy seperately.

Doug Fletcher
if as is,... you may be out of luck unless they told you it was complete

sears seems to be dumping the floor units and only going to sell online. dont know if that is good or bad

the manwell is online
the bits are a lots o you should try to make sears cought them up
all he stuff can be got though
Amazon
Northern tools
Lowe's
LHR
Sears

just type in carvewright on any place cept sears anf it will show the itens
sears is compucarve same thing different name

i just got a floor unit that was trashed more than i thought my sears manager has ordered me a brand new unit

Nothern will free ship
LHR is a flat rate fee

card reader 40
2 bits 40x2 80
card 30? 30
bit remover ? i dont use i have the rock you can have mine for shipping

BTW look up the tips about setting up a new unit so that you lube that flex cause you know sears did not they are over 75 + shipping
you will need something to bide you over anyway
good luck

Lord U
11-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Doug Fletcher

Sure, back in early October, I bought a sears compucarve refurbished,
which was a good deal i thought for under 1000. I drove home and opened
the box. And all there was styrafoam and just the machine. So I went back the next day, in person with the machine to tell them that the machine was
missing everything.

I spent 4 hours in the store working with an employee. He kept making phone calls to different places about getting me missing parts. Eventually, he told me, that I should get a response within 12 days about the missing parts.

So, I waited 12 days without a peep. I went back 12 days later, in person, to see what was going on. Again, the employee went back onto the phone for about 2-3 hrs. And eventually, I got pushed to the manager.

The manager said he'd personally look into the matter. He said he'd contact me with the processes on getting the new parts. I asked him how long should wait. And he said in less than a week.

A week went by. And I called the manager a few times, but employees kept telling me he was in meetings. So, I drove down to the store to see whats going on. The employees there said, he wasnt coming in that day. Try back tomorrrow.

So, I went back the next day. And he still wasnt there. So, I drove home.

The next day, I called. Didnt reach the manager, but got an employee.
And today is where I stand with the sears compucarve.

Have the item for a month, definitely willing to do use it, but unable to without those accessories.

- Lord U

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
the box. And all there was styrafoam and just the machine. So I went back the next day, in person with the machine to tell them that the machine was
missing everything.

I spent 4 hours in the store working with an employee. He kept making phone calls to different places about getting me missing parts. Eventually, he told me, that I should get a response within 12 days about the missing parts.

So, I waited 12 days without a peep. I went back 12 days later, in person, to see what was going on. Again, the employee went back onto the phone for about 2-3 hrs. And eventually, I got pushed to the manager.

The manager said he'd personally look into the matter. He said he'd contact me with the processes on getting the new parts. I asked him how long should wait. And he said in less than a week.

A week went by. And I called the manager a few times, but employees kept telling me he was in meetings. So, I drove down to the store to see whats going on. The employees there said, he wasnt coming in that day. Try back tomorrrow.

Have the item for a month, definitely willing to do use it, but unable to without those accessories.

- Lord U

Well, it certinaly sounds like you have made good faith efforts to resolve the situation. I would go to the sears website and print the decriptions for a refurbished machine directly from there site. Take it back in to sears ask to speak with the store manager and show him what you were supposed to get and what you actually got. If they cant get you the accessories they need to give you a different machine.

Below is a excerpt from the website as well as the link.

Product Description
Click here to read reviews for this item in NEW CONDITION.

Compact, computer-controlled, 3-dimensional woodworking machine with an easy-to-use interface. It allows a novice to make a complete project without a shop full of tools.The unique configuration allows it to perform many other woodworking functions, including ripping, cross cutting, mitering, contouring, jointing and routing. The CompuCarve can work in most soft materials, including wood, plastics (polycarbonate or cast acrylic) and certain types of high density foam. Set includes CompuCarve machine, (1) 1/16 in. carbide carving bit, (1) 1/8 in. carbide cutting bit, CarveWright Memory Card, starter software package, (2) 1/4 in. bit adaptors, vacuum bag adaptor, bit removal tool, hex wrench, owner's manual and Quick Start Guide.

Link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910148000P

Good luck and please let us know how you made out.

Doug Fletcher

Pratyeka
11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Can you return it and ask for your money back? that always makes them move faster.

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
JUst another example of LHR efficiency in action

Well, I'm not sure you can blame LHR for this one. However, I do think LHR does have final responsibility to there customers regardless of where the machine was purchased. If Sears can't get the missing accessories, I would think LHR would step up and make it right. But.... by several other posts on the forum, it seems if you bought it from Sears you have to deal with Sears about issues. The post a few weeks back about a missing bit removal tool was a good example. Based on the orginal poster... if I remember correctly, sears was telling them th LHR would take care of it.. an LHR was saying it was Sears responsibility. Of course the leave the customer in the middle with no solutions.

Doug Fletcher

Jeff_Birt
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
JUst another example of LHR efficiency in action

If you can't make a constructive comment then please keep it to yourself. Snide comments are not needed.

seabass
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
He is just aggravated. Yeah that comment was not very productive.

Rapidroy
11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
The old poster was me. Sears did come through and out of the blue the missing tools came in the mail from CarveWright. The only thing was I ordered it from Sears.com and told my story to 10-20 people on the phone (Sears must have a dozen call centers around the world -YES THE WORLD ie India after a few calls I asked what city I was calling LOL) But, I would think you need to call Sears (it might take 20 differant phone numbers so keep track)to get the shorted parts or like the others said just take it back and order one.

hess
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, I'm not sure you can blame LHR for this one. However, I do think LHR does have final responsibility to there customers regardless of where the machine was purchased. If Sears can't get the missing accessories, I would think LHR would step up and make it right. But.... by several other posts on the forum, it seems if you bought it from Sears you have to deal with Sears about issues. The post a few weeks back about a missing bit removal tool was a good example. Based on the orginal poster... if I remember correctly, sears was telling them th LHR would take care of it.. an LHR was saying it was Sears responsibility. Of course the leave the customer in the middle with no solutions.

Doug Fletcher

I have to side with CW on this
Sears is a whole new ball game in my case sear did contact CW to see if they could get them another unit shipped. Missing stuff from sear right now is more likely someone robed peter to pay Paul unit get sold something is not there they open another box and so on
The fact that sears made you wait so long was on them also they should have should up or took the unit back

Now you have your tools and can start seeing that for the most part the pro out wt the cons and thing s seem to be improving with CW accepting a new kind of chuck

good luck with the carveing

cnsranch
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Lord U -

If what you bought was a refurb'ed unit, I believe that it's supposed to come with all accessories, parts, etc.

If you bought it "as is", you get what you get - what's in the box.

So, if it was, in fact, refurb'ed, sounds like LHR has a problem with it's Retailer (Sears). Sears should have seen to it that all was included, etc.

And if that's right, maybe the tack to take would be to talk to LHR from that angle - you've got a problem with one of their Retailers, and maybe they can step in on your behalf.

Does that sound right, guys??

Ike
11-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Lord U -

If what you bought was a refurb'ed unit, I believe that it's supposed to come with all accessories, parts, etc.

If you bought it "as is", you get what you get - what's in the box.

So, if it was, in fact, refurb'ed, sounds like LHR has a problem with it's Retailer (Sears). Sears should have seen to it that all was included, etc.

And if that's right, maybe the tack to take would be to talk to LHR from that angle - you've got a problem with one of their Retailers, and maybe they can step in on your behalf.

Does that sound right, guys??

I have quoted what Sears says about "Reconditioned CC"

"What does Reconditioned mean? Reconditioned product is new product that was returned , has been tested and repaired if necessary, to meet " like new" mechanical specifications. Product may have some cosmetic damage. New Product warranty still applies.

Yes Sears gives only a 6 month warranty, but you would think from the disclaimer it should be should as a new purchase including the accessories. I would take the CC back to Sears and ask them about the accessories and if they won't give them to you return the machine. Then see what they say!

If you go to www.sears.com then to the outlet, then sign in. Type in "Compucarve" in the search engine and it will most likely come up with nothing. Then put in your zip in the store search and choose one store and save. It should show you the CC and the parts you can buy. Use the filter and choose the $47.00 to $921.00 and apply the filter.

Then put your zip in again and choose one store and save. It should take you to a page that allows you to find the nearest store. Go ahead and hit it and it should take you to the page with all the best priced CC all over the US.

The only thing is beware of the new CC they were most likely a display and has been abused. With the reconditioned ones call the store with the price you like and ask about the info on the unit. I bought one from Ohio for $750.00 plus tax and $35.00 or $39.00 for shipping I forgot the price!

Anyway mine was the buyer used it once and returned it. Well in fact the buyer never used it and it had all the accessories. The only thing opened was the software CD. When new it comes with 20 minutes on the cut motor and that is all my CC had! So you can get a good CC if you look! Some people don't take time to learn the machine and end up returning it.

If you decide to return it and look for another machine I hope this helps!

Ike

seabass
11-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Getting a unit from the outlet store is NOT the same as ordering a refurbished unit through the Sears website!

The website refurbs are much better, anything at the outlet stores are their for a reason, they are substandard machines and even less cost(usually) than the refurbished price.

I have been very happy with two refurbs and I have seen two more, everyone looked brand new to me.

I still find it amazing people state they are having problems with Sears refurbs purchased through the regular website. I guess 4 times I have been lucky? I only have one machine right now, but when I get another refurb I bet it is pristine just like the 4 that have been through my hands already.

And yes all the accessories are included though sometimes the pieces are hidden in weird places. I have found the packing on my refurbs to be better than on the new units as the original box is in another box and packed up tight with paper.

What I do not get is why people complain, but just do not return the unit immediately for a different one, problems solved. You even have 30 days to do it.

dbfletcher
11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Getting a unit from the outlet store is NOT the same as ordering a refurbished unit through the Sears website!

The website refurbs are much better, anything at the outlet stores are their for a reason, they are substandard machines and even less cost(usually) than the refurbished price.

I have been very happy with two refurbs and I have seen two more, everyone looked brand new to me.

I still find it amazing people state they are having problems with Sears refurbs purchased through the regular website. I guess 4 times I have been lucky? I only have one machine right now, but when I get another refurb I bet it is pristine just like the 4 that have been through my hands already.

And yes all the accessories are included though sometimes the pieces are hidden in weird places. I have found the packing on my refurbs to be better than on the new units as the original box is in another box and packed up tight with paper.

What I do not get is why people complain, but just do not return the unit immediately for a different one, problems solved. You even have 30 days to do it.

The only think I can think of... and perhaps it has changed since i bought my first one in 2007.. but in three months I had 4 different *new* machines from Sears. Each time I took it back to sears for a replacment when something went wrong. On the fourth machine, LHR tech finally convinced me not to bother the repetative return/replace cycle and just work ith them directly to get a working machine. I dont have the exact quote from LHR tech anymore but it was somthign similair to "we'll. we KNOW what is wrong with the one you have now... if you take it back and get another one, we wont have any idea of what problems you will have with it. It is better just to fix this one". And at that point I was 0-3 with getting a non-problem new one with sears I decided it had some merit. Now keep in mind this was way back in 2007 so I would hope there are fewer problems today that there were then.

So with that being said.. if it really is more likely than not to get a well behaved machine direct from sear or lhr then by all means take it back. If it still is basically a coin flip, then I think LHR original position of fixing the known problems rather that starting from scratch still makes some sense.

It is hard to tell what the current state of the machine really is. Yes, we see a lot fo complaints on here.. but that makes sense becuase it isnt really human nature to go out of your way to talk about how wonderful your experience was.. rather. we mostly only hear from the ones with problems.

Doug Fletcher

Chief
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Doug Fletcher

Doug,

I believe that was my post. I called Sears Parts-Direct last week but still haven't heard from them or LHR. I guess it's time to write to the temp CEO of Sears Holdings. He makes sure that somebody calls me. The problem with Sears appears to be that the left hand doesn't talk to the right and Sears is a damn octopus.

Chief

Chief
11-10-2009, 09:44 PM
missing everything.

- Lord U

You're getting jerked around. Write to:

Bruce Johnson
3333 Beverly Rd
Hoffman Estates, Il 60179

He's head of Sears Holdings which is Sears and K-Mart. You won't get a direct answer from him but somebody will get in touch with you about a week after you mail the letter and these are the people that have the power to make you a happy camper without having to go back to the store and kick some ***.

Chief

Chief
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM

Seabass,

In my case it took 6 weeks and a lot of phone calls after I ordered it before I got the magic call. Now, 7 weeks later, I've only managed to do two simple carvings. The rest of the time the machine has been down, mostly waiting for parts. I figured it was easier for me to fix than return to Seas and wait another 6 or more weeks.

Chief

seabass
11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I agree I will only fix my unit myself. I will never send it in.

With all the great pdf's and other info LHR does make it simple or at least give you a chance to repair the machines at home. I know more about how the machine works than I ever thought I would and I really do think because of that I can design better.

hess
11-11-2009, 02:24 AM
I agree I will only fix my unit myself. I will never send it in.

With all the great pdf's and other info LHR does make it simple or at least give you a chance to repair the machines at home. I know more about how the machine works than I ever thought I would and I really do think because of that I can design better.

when i got my cw i was real sruprized when the said they would send me the parts at the time i was having a hissy fix over the unit but in real life it has worked out well. if cw cant help over the phone we do have like you said all the pdfs and then folks like al who, who more then not has a pic of the fix

i bet al was one of those kids that was ripping apart all his dads stuff just to see how it worked:-D

Lord U
01-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I thought Id update. It was because of chief's advice, I managed to get all the missing parts for the compucarve.

I somehow ended up contacting a guy who worked with me. Sears didnt exactly send me the missing parts, but they reimbursted me after buying them.

They said they couldn't order the missing parts themselves because it wasn't in their catalog, but they could refund me after spending more on the items if I ordered them online.

So, i guess at the end of this story is a happy one, although a roundabout way of getting it done.

I'm glad Sears reimbursted me and just wanted to say thank you to the forum poster "Chief"

I just used the compucarve/carvewright 3 times now and am pretty pleased as punch.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and support.

- U

Chief
01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Lord,

Give me a copy of your letter. I'm still waiting for my CC to be returned from SEars. I gave them a little extra time because of the holidays but I'm starting to get annoyed. I could call the Resolution Office in Texas but it appears that they need an incident number to justify and verify their efforts. Oh, yeah, they called it a "case number".

I'm glad things worked out for you..... but I'm a little jealous.

Chief

AskBud
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Lord,

Give me a copy of your letter. I'm still waiting for my CC to be returned from SEars. I gave them a little extra time because of the holidays but I'm starting to get annoyed. I could call the Resolution Office in Texas but it appears that they need an incident number to justify and verify their efforts. Oh, yeah, they called it a "case number".

I'm glad things worked out for you..... but I'm a little jealous.

Chief

Diana is the person to talk to in garland texas. Her number is 214-553-6702. The shop ID is 8047, in case you ask your store to confirm where they sent your unit.
AskBud

Lord U
01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Sure Id be glad to.

Um which letter do you want? The one I sent or the one I received? lol.

Im a little uncomfortable sending a letter with personal information.
Would it be alright if I blacked out my personal information on the letter before I send it to you?

- U

Chief
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
-U,

I was just pulling your leg. Thanks for the offer, though. The problem with Sears is that they are like an octopus with none of the hands talking to any other. Nothing is ever simple with them.

Chief