PDA

View Full Version : CW and FRP.... and GLOAT

Digitalwoodshop
11-09-2009, 07:41 PM
****Gloat Start****

FRP is Fiber Reinforced Plastic that is 1/8 inch thick and cuts like butter with the CW. I use it as my primary material to make Fire Department Accountability Tags. As of tonight I have a over 500 Fire Accountability Tag Order supplying a Accountability Tag System for 15 Fire Departments in Kentucky. The tags ID the Firemen and show Qualifications by color.

I will use the CW to cut the 1.5 x 3 tags along with cutting the hole for the grommet out of sheet stock. This is more economical then buying pre cut blanks as I have in the past. This is part of a FEMA Grant they have to setup a Accountability System with 15 Boards, 59 Truck Rings, and over 500 tags....

The Grant will only be able to cover one Tag per firefighter. Most likely the individual departments will order a second tag from me later....:-D That could be $5K more....

Couldn't do it without the CW.... Looks like I am going to be BUSY....:mrgreen:

AL

*****Gloat END*****

c6craig
11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Congrats Al, I've seen you post these in the past and the craftsmanship you put in to them is impressive. I'm glad to see you making money with them and the CC/CW and hope you make a million more!!

Craig

robbrigg2
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Please take this tongue in cheek as it was intended. But be carefull after all this machine was not intended for commercial purposes.;)

Kenm810
11-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey AL,

Nice Job, Good for You!
I'm glad Business is picking up for you,
I hope it smooths out some of the Lean times this past year. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

liquidguitars
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Cool Al!

keep them coming..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Please take this tongue in cheek as it was intended. But be carefull after all this machine was not intended for commercial purposes.

When I got my first machine, the only machine that was ever under warranty, I blew through the 200 hours in a little over 9 months.... The 2nd trip to LHR had about 160 Cut Motor Hours on it.... By the year's end I posted a picture with the LCD showing 250 Cut Motor Hours on this forum. Later that week I called to order something, I believe it was a Flex Shaft that would have never been covered under warranty. The Tech said it was in my file that I now had over 250 hours..... The year was over anyway.... but it was interesting that info from here was placed in my file... I was featured in the first newsletter showing some of my stuff.... "Commercial Stuff...."... So the "Gig" was up.... I was now listed as a Commercial User and I knew if I bought a NEW machine that I would have trouble getting LHR to Honor a Warranty since it was a Known Fact that I was now a Commercial User.... SO for that reason I have only bought used units. Anyone who buys a second machine for the business should be for warned that it could come as a nasty surprise that the machine sent in with 60 cut motor hours might be deemed a "Commercial Unit" and the customer charged for the repair.

LHR missed a loop hole in the Machine by not applying a Tamper Proof Sticker like I used on the Sony Play Stations I repaired on the Computer. What is to stop someone from removing the new computer from a machine and ruining it with a OLD computer running up the hours on the OLD computer. Then sending the machine in for repair with the "New" computer back in the old unit.....

I hear my file being updated.... "Troublermaker"...:mrgreen:

Well the lesson here is LHR should add tamper proof to the next generation or at least a POP rivet or something that needs to be drilled on the Computer....

Then you will see the Bootleggers selling Cable Kits to extend the cables outside of the unit to run a external computer unit....

Then you will see LHR license the "MACHINE".....

I have played this game when at Sony... Play Station 1's had lots of Modifications to play overseas games... I searched the websites and printed them out with pictures of the circuit board modifications... Next day at work I get a dead Play Station 1 unit and see the solder on the modification spots.... At least we knew what killed the unit....

Play Station 2's and DSS Satellite systems had there share of stuff too....

OK... Off my soapbox....

Bottom Line, I NEED LHR to Survive as a Business.... for ME to survive.... WE need each other.... :lol::oops::shock:

AL

PCW
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Al (who),

It's reassuring to know they are at least paying attention to ya.:D

robbrigg2
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I agree Al...

And actually I think Buying a Refurb from Sears and getting the extended warranty is the way to go... Sears won't mess with the stuff and LHR will without a doubt try to make sure Sears stuff is as top of the line as it can be becasue undue returns from a major retailor like that will cost them in the long run.... lost access to their client base.... so if and when I buy again it will come from there....

seabass
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll say it again. An extended warranty is not available for a Sears refurb and only a few have gotten away with it. Now it is virtually impossible to get it and online it is impossible. I have even heard someone getting the extended warranty on the refurb, but when the time came for service Sears refunded the warranty money.

It is against the Sears policy now for refurb CC to get anything more than a 6 month warranty with a 30 day return for any reason policy.

Ike
11-09-2009, 09:34 PM
That is great Al! Of course you know any Craftsman tool intended for hobby use can't be used commercially! I am carving some X-mas ornaments on a 12" by 40" and it is taking over 7 hours on normal to carve! So I am not sure how many hours should determine hobby or commercial use!

But you always give yourself away so you are marked for life!!

Ike

robbrigg2
11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I'll say it again. An extended warranty is not available for a Sears refurb and only a few have gotten away with it. Now it is virtually impossible to get it and online it is impossible. I have even heard someone getting the extended warranty on the refurb, but when the time came for service Sears refunded the warranty money.

It is against the Sears policy now for refurb CC to get anything more than a 6 month warranty with a 30 day return for any reason policy.

Ouch Seabass you just ruined my perfectly constructed plan...LOL

Azbear
11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
****Gloat Start****

FRP is Fiber Reinforced Plastic that is 1/8 inch thick and cuts like butter with the CW. I use it as my primary material to make Fire Department Accountability Tags. As of tonight I have a over 500 Fire Accountability Tag Order supplying a Accountability Tag System for 15 Fire Departments in Kentucky. The tags ID the Firemen and show Qualifications by color.

I will use the CW to cut the 1.5 x 3 tags along with cutting the hole for the grommet out of sheet stock. This is more economical then buying pre cut blanks as I have in the past. This is part of a FEMA Grant they have to setup a Accountability System with 15 Boards, 59 Truck Rings, and over 500 tags....

The Grant will only be able to cover one Tag per firefighter. Most likely the individual departments will order a second tag from me later....:-D That could be $5K more....

Couldn't do it without the CW.... Looks like I am going to be BUSY....:mrgreen:

AL

*****Gloat END*****

“The Grant will only be able to cover one Tag per firefighter. Most likely the individual departments will order a second tag from me later....:-D That could be $5K more....”

Al, can I borrow a few grand? (I'm laughing now)

Better get more coffee brew'in!