PDA

View Full Version : Pressure!! Pressure!!!

Ike
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Ok I didn't level the head exactly the way the PDF I think following Al's method I took 2 -4' levels and place one on the left side one on the right and slowly lower the head until it barely touched. Then I moved each level one was tight the other moved a bit. So at the bottom unscrewed the loose side tie rod gear and not allowing it to touch. I cranked the handle and rechecked it again with the levels.

The CW seems to right on and I am getting 96-99 lbs pressure from 76-79 before! With the CC it is off so slightly I am not worried. It went from 65-67 to 70 -73.

So should I recheck the head again or do you think it is good?

Ike

seabass
11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Isn't 99lbs too much pressure? I always though 75 to 85 was just right.

c6craig
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Careful...too much pressure is as bad as not enough. High head pressure will cause stuck roller errors and board tracking errors. In the extreme it will strip gears as it tries to feed a board....

80-85 is the sweet spot. If you are at 99 or so you either need to get some more lube back on there or let off a crank or two on the handle.

Craig

Ike
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Well I got one reading at 99, it comes up 96 all the time. I have cleaned and lubed the whole thing. I guess back to leveling it again I should have left it alone at 79! Plus I can't get higher then 73 on the CC.

Ike

c6craig
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, that's too high, you are gonna damage something sooner or later at that pressure. Try just giving it one click on the ratchet and see where you are. I would take anything from 75-85 but I believe the manual calls for 80-85.

Good luck,
Craig

Ike
11-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I just checked it and it is 75-85 lbs.

4. Read the scale measurement and repeat several times. The
proper head loading should be between 75 and 85 pounds.

Ugh that means I need to adjust both of my machines!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Good Job Ike !!!!

Sent PM.

AL

Ike
11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Good Job Ike !!!!

Sent PM.

AL

Thanks Al, but do you think the CW pressure is too high?

Ike

c6craig
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats Ike, you achieved what I wasn't able to on my black sheep (same problems). I have been so busy I haven't even had time to get it sent back to LHR.

Happy carving!

Craig

WayneNero
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Hello,

I have checked this bad boy out 7 ways from sunday and I have yet to get passed 50 punds on my scale.

The only way is to push down on the far side of the unit while cranking the handle.

I followed the pdf on leveling machine and still have no luck. I am sure I am missing a step.

Any help is good help....

Wayne

Ike
12-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hello,

I have checked this bad boy out 7 ways from sunday and I have yet to get passed 50 punds on my scale.

The only way is to push down on the far side of the unit while cranking the handle.

I followed the pdf on leveling machine and still have no luck. I am sure I am missing a step.

Any help is good help....

Wayne
Wayne temperature has a lot to do with the pressure one day you may have 75 pounds at 70 degrees outside temp. Then 50 pounds at 60 degrees! You can level the heads I check it by taking 2 four foot levels and place then on each side. Then I lower the head until it barely touches, enough the levels should not move. If one moves then that opposite side needs adjusted. Take 2 short pieces of boards say a 2" thick board 3" wide and do the same thing you did with the levels.

Then flip the machine on the side so you can get to the bottom, remove the cover. You will see the tie rod and gears loosen the screw opposite from the key pad and using the crank tighten or loosen to level. Then grease the gears and not too much on the crank gear that will engage the clutch sooner not allowing pressure.

If the head is level at first or after adjust and you greased all the gears and you still don't have enough pressure. Remove one of the sides and under the 2" bolts holding the sides you will find some thin washers. Take the crank handle off and put a washer behind the spring and assemble handle again and check pressure. If it isn't enough repeat until you get enough pressure.

Ike

AskBud
12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Wayne,
Remember to, also, put some lube on the 4 upright posts and the 2 threaded "Upright" rods as well.
AskBud

WayneNero
12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Wayne temperature has a lot to do with the pressure one day you may have 75 pounds at 70 degrees outside temp. Then 50 pounds at 60 degrees! You can level the heads I check it by taking 2 four foot levels and place then on each side. Then I lower the head until it barely touches, enough the levels should not move. If one moves then that opposite side needs adjusted. Take 2 short pieces of boards say a 2" thick board 3" wide and do the same thing you did with the levels.

Then flip the machine on the side so you can get to the bottom, remove the cover. You will see the tie rod and gears loosen the screw opposite from the key pad and using the crank tighten or loosen to level. Then grease the gears and the not too much on the crank gear that will engage the clutch sooner.

If the head is level at first or after adjust and you greased all the gears and you still don't have enough pressure. Remove one of the sides and under the 2" bolts holding the sides you will find some thin washers. Take the head handle off and put a washer behind the spring and assemble handle again and check pressure. If it isn't enough repeat until you get enough pressure.

Ike

I did get it up to 65, but I have to tell you its 30 degrees out side and maybe about 40 in the garage.

So it is possible that if I was operating at 70 that I might have accessive pressure? WOW!

Thanks, I am heading back to the garage...

Wayne

Ike
12-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I did get it up to 65, but I have to tell you its 30 degrees out side and maybe about 40 in the garage.

So it is possible that if I was operating at 70 that I might have accessive pressure? WOW!

Thanks, I am heading back to the garage...

Wayne

Lol see what I mean by the temp! I found once the machine is warmed up it does great! I have taken a hair dryer and put it inside to warm the machine up so I could use it, rather then waiting for the shop to warm up and it has worked!

When it is cold my machine has started clicking before it has reached the bottom and once it warmed up it moved smoothly! If your head is close to being level try the washer trick. I have 2 machines a CC and a CW my CW had too much pressure and the CC too little.

Now after use both are fine! Go figure?! I bet if I went out to the shop now I would have low pressure. It is 26 degrees outside and snowing but once I started the machine and warmed it up even if I didn't warm the shop the pressure would improve!

Good luck, hope I could help!

Ike

WayneNero
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
OK. I'm gonna take out the heat gun and see for myself. I was attempting the head handle trick, but stripped the head on the screw so now I can have even more fun tomorrow!

-W

Ike
12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
OK. I'm gonna take out the heat gun and see for myself. I was attempting the head handle trick, but stripped the head on the screw so now I can have even more fun tomorrow!

-W

Yes YIKES how tight was that screw? Mine I check all the time and it usually loose! Sorry to hear that happen, go to Sears or your local hardware store and see if they have the bit that takes out stripped screws. I can't remember the name.

Ike

PCW
12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
You can also try drilling the head off then remove the handle followed by vice grips. Either way you will have to replace the screw.

c6craig
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=380

As seen on TV product, but my wife got me one for a stocking stuffer last year and it works great...

You can also buy similiar extractor kits from Sears and Lowes...

Craig

Kenm810
12-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I bought mine Lowe's, plus you can get one at most Hardware Stores
I have a couple sizes, but haven't needed to use them yet.

GRABIT
#2 Alden's Grabit
Item #: 51624 Model: 8502P $7.48

WayneNero
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Hello All,

Thanks for all the tips thus far...

So first thing this morning I head to the hardware store and got a screw remover. Got the head out and went to Fastenal to get a replacement.

I got a screw that was 3/4 inch long. A little bit longer that the original and tryed it out....

I got head pressure of 135 pounds!!!! (with no clicks)

So I added 2 washers, same as the one's IKE pointed out. I tightened the screw in (by hand) and got 100 pounds of pressure, then a click. So I backed off the screw handle a tad and hit the sweet spot of 80 pounds on a double click.

So I guess when the weather warms up I can re-adjust as needed.

Thanks...

-W

(next, my dust collector setup...)

Ike
12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Hello All,

Thanks for all the tips thus far...

So first thing this morning I head to the hardware store and got a screw remover. Got the head out and went to Fastenal to get a replacement.

I got a screw that was 3/4 inch long. A little bit longer that the original and tryed it out....

I got head pressure of 135 pounds!!!! (with no clicks)

So I added 2 washers, same as the one's IKE pointed out. I tightened the screw in (by hand) and got 100 pounds of pressure, then a click. So I backed off the screw handle a tad and hit the sweet spot of 80 pounds on a double click.

So I guess when the weather warms up I can re-adjust as needed.

Thanks...

-W

(next, my dust collector setup...)

The more washer you install the more pressure! Try greasing the gear on the handle to see if the you get a little less pressure. I guess I figured out how to get the maximum pressure! Like I said after several hours of use the pressure changed.

Go out and get you a kerosene heater they work great in a garage as long as you have a window opened a bit. Maybe that is what's wrong with me? I have been using kerosene heaters for years in my shop!

Ike

WayneNero
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
So I went to do a test carve and got nowhere. the handle was spinning no clicks and no head movement in any direction. I am puzzled?

-W

PCW
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
When you tighten the handle down make sure it is seated all the way in. It takes a little pressure and it is keyed.

cnsranch
12-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Wayne - I never have problems with my machine - that is, until this last weekend.

Temp in the shop was 40 degrees - the head did not want to go down - the metal was simply too cold, and the lubricant was too solid to make a diff.

You have temp issues, I'll bet.

Ike
12-08-2009, 01:29 PM
So I went to do a test carve and got nowhere. the handle was spinning no clicks and no head movement in any direction. I am puzzled?

-W

I agree with Dan, sounds like the handle isn't properly installed. You need to push it in while you tighten the screw. If it was cold you should still get clicks.

Ike