PDA

View Full Version : Post a few of your Ideas for Carving

Pages : [1] 2

Kenm810
11-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's a few Screen Shots or Photos to help folks a little with some project Ideas. :wink:

Poker Chip Caddys and Wall plaques made from Wallpaper Patterns.

TerryT
11-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Very nice Ken. That poker chip caddy is cool.

Kenm810
11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
A few more to add to the Pot.

Pratyeka
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Here is sunflower...

RayTrek
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Here is a clock idea. You can add your own pattern to centerpiece.
I made the frame with the clock hole and know realize that I want to make the hole for whatever clock I have. So if you have a 2” clock then change cut out to 2.030 and so on.
Have fun ~ Ray
You can hide the turkey and show the Santa they are both on the MPC

Kenm810
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Just a thought,

“Mind Games” -- A Mpc Puzzle -- How do you carve - (solve) it.

Hint - Start with one of Fletcher's "Slices"

Woodhacker
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Ya gotta stop teasing us like that!! That is a fantastic carve. Just wish I knew how you went about it. Don't think I have seen "Fletcher's slices" What's that all about??? Inquiring (learning) minds wanna know.
Good job. Thanx for sharing.

Ike
11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
these are for my sister in law. hope somebody like it. I carve already.
Hilda

Hilda very nice I even recognize a couple patterns I have shared! Great to see they are usable! ;)

Ike

Kenm810
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
The Ring of Spheres is not really any kind if Contest,
it's just a way that might encourage or help some folks to dig into Designer and the Pattern Editor
a little deeper to see what they can find, also to better use the Search Option to find Key Words or Patterns files.

There really no time limit or prize other then a bit knowledge picked along the way.
Anyone is welcome to add a screen shot or photo of a file so we can all spend
a little R&R time scratching our collective heads, figuring them out.

I'm hoping to learn a few new things about the CW Forum and CW Designer from them,
and pretty sure I can. :wink:

dbfletcher
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
The Ring of Spheres is not really any kind if Contest,
it's just a way that might encourage or help some folks to dig into Designer and the Pattern Editor
a little deeper to see what they can find, also to better use the Search Option to find Key Words or Patterns files.

There really no time limit or prize other then a bit knowledge picked along the way.
Anyone is welcome to add a screen shot or photo of a file so we can all spend
a little R&R time scratching our collective heads, figuring them out.

I'm hoping to learn a few new things about the CW Forum and CW Designer from them,
and pretty sure I can. :wink:

Ken,

I kinda of like the idea of posting screen shots of a project in designer and then issuing the challange to come up with how it was done. As with most things in life, there are typcially several ways to accomplish any given task. That being said, as we review all the different ways people have created the same result, we can start to come up with "best practices" for some common designer chanllenges we all encounter.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

As I side note, you have repeatedly amazed me by doing things directly in desinger that I was nearly sure could only be accomplished using other programs. Howerver.. sometimes I think *some* of the designer only solutions really are better done in other porgrams.

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
HiDoug,

Quote: - "Howerver.. sometimes I think *some* of the designer only solutions really are better done in other porgrams."

I totally agree with you on that, every program has it's limits - Designer is no exception, and that other progrms may/can do a better or fast job.
This has been my way of pushing the limits of the Desinger software, and I have to admit it does surprise me now and then.
I just like to see what any program really can do.
Believe it or not the Star Holiday Sweets Dish I post earlier, was all done in MS Word
just using the Insert Option Menu before it I imported it into Designer.

To Me It's all Fun. :smile:

ajk
11-11-2009, 01:07 PM
yes i know like roses, deer, and your boat. oh the delphins too. thats te beauty of sharing then you put things together and other do a beautiful project . now i share my project.

fwharris
11-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Just a thought,

Ok, I gave it a try!! Had problem with the cut out, I did a rect. carve region on both sides of .800 which I think is not correct for the carve.

Great learing/teaching tool Ken!!

Kenm810
11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
FWHarris,

Very Nicely Done, looks like you've got it!
Even when you set the Carve Regions at .80 it still leaves a chin whisker worth
of wood to hold everything from flying apart that doesn't show up in Designer.

Now tag you it for the next one!!

Not really, -- Anyone is welcome to post one or more if you like. :razz:

fwharris
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
FWHarris,

Very Nicely Done, looks like you've got it!
Even when you set the Carve Regions at .80 it still leaves a chin whisker worth
of wood to hold everything from flying apart that doesn't show up in Designer.

Now tag you it for the next one!!

Not really, -- Anyone is welcome to post one or more if you like. :razz:

Ken,
Thanks!! That was a fun exercise for both the forum search feature, designer, pattern editor and image software. I worked on it until 2am, signs of a carveaholic, but I did not have a good ring pattern. Got frustrated trying to make one. But you did help out with the added post.

Surprised that I was the only one to give it shot though!!

I might pass on setting up the next one for now.

William Blankenship
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
......Surprised that I was the only one to give it shot though!!.......

I'm embarrassed to say I'm still trying to figure it out........I'm sure more people tried this one.

Good one Ken!!

Bill...

fwharris
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I'm still trying to figure it out........I'm sure more people tried this one.

Good one Ken!!

Bill...

Bill,
I figured I was not the only one. Was just surprised I was the first one. did you find all the pieces to the puzzle?

dbfletcher
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Just a thought,

ok.. not exact... but I think it is fairly close. I deicded I would give it a whirl tonight.

BTW... I used 11 elements per side (well 11 show up in carving list.. some are mirrors)...

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey Doug There ya go,

I feel that it really doesn't hurt to jog or tweak the old gray matter once in and a while.
I'll start on another one when I get home later to day. :cool:

William Blankenship
11-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Bill,
I figured I was not the only one. Was just surprised I was the first one. did you find all the pieces to the puzzle?

The one image posted shows the carving list. I see only one piece on that. How do you make this carve with only one piece?

Thanks,
Bill

fwharris
11-12-2009, 09:01 AM
The one image posted shows the carving list. I see only one piece on that. How do you make this carve with only one piece?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I think that was just the starting piece. I did a copy and paste to add the others..

RayTrek
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Hello,
Here is the holiday clock from project Idea to carve and finish.
Ken, I am trying to find the time to play with your project ideas.
Very fun!
I put the PNG file in zip, was created in PS –CS2 and the bevels were added in pattern editor with the blur tool, feel free to edit or make your own.
Well as they say “ off in a cloud of heifers dust”
Good day to all ~Ray

LittleRedWoodshop
11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
that could easily be turned into a door knob hanger

Fletcher
11-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I never realized that drawing a sphere and uploading it would have offered you carvaholics so much late night fun... Cool!

Here's another to play with. Then, and I will follow this with "how to use your CW as a lathe"....

Cheers!

Fletcher
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I haven't carved this yet but I thought it would be interesting to try using the CW instead of a lathe(much slower but I don't have a lathe) to make a spindle...

If anybody tries this please post your results...

RayTrek
11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi Jason, that is what I love about all of this and all of you in the community.
The great ideas and shareing.
To cool ~ Ray

Kenm810
11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Fletcher, perfect timing,
that's just the kind of part I was looking for to start another mpc Puzzle. :wink:

Remember the board Settings

dbfletcher
11-12-2009, 07:46 PM
that's just the kind of part I was looking for to start another mpc Puzzle. :wink:

Excellent Ken!!! And Fletcher thanks for the "parts". I'll give this a whirl tonight. I think we should start another thread for "answers" thou... and also post our mpc's. That way we can see how each other approached the problems and see that there are probably a few ways for doing any task.

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
11-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Excellent Ken!!! And Fletcher thanks for the "parts". I'll give this a whirl tonight. I think we should start another thread for "answers" thou... and also post our mpc's. That way we can see how each other approached the problems and see that there are probably a few ways for doing any task.

Doug Fletcher

Doug,

Like the idea!! Good way to see if there is another way to approach things and also help to show how not to do it too. ;)

dbfletcher
11-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Ok ken.. before I start this.. is Fletcher's spindle the ONLY pattern you are using for this.. or did you also use one for the rings?

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-12-2009, 11:15 PM
All these candy dishes, thought I would try a nut dish the shape of an acorn! I haven't carved one, so I am not sure how it will turn out?

Ike

dbfletcher
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
All these candy dishes, thought I would try a nut dish the shape of an acorn! I haven't carved one, so I am not sure how it will turn out?

Ike

I kinda like it, but my only question would be... looking at the back would this dish sit flat? It looks like it might rock.

Doug Fletcher

Ike
11-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I kinda like it, but my only question would be... looking at the back would this dish sit flat? It looks like it might rock.

Doug Fletcher

I don't think it would, it isn't concaved. Plus it is easy to remove, not to mention make two and it could be a box?

Ike

earlyrider
11-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Howabout someone making a double helix kit---DNA anyone? Could also be used to make various crystal/lattice models. Paired spheres connected by one shaft would make an axle for a wood car or rolling trilobite or ?:rolleyes:
Ron

William Blankenship
11-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Bill,

I think that was just the starting piece. I did a copy and paste to add the others..

You guys are so far ahead of me it isn't funny <grin>. I'll pick up with this when I get back from Savannah next week. I'll try the cut and paste.

Take care,
Bill....

Kenm810
11-13-2009, 07:06 AM
All the components of this last Mpc Puzzle are all ptn patterns
that I've posted in my mpc projects in the last month or two,
Fletcher's Spindle being the last. :cool:

Ps. Ike --I like your Acorn Nut Dish,
and I think I may have found a little biddy worm hole in ithe ptn. :razz:

Ike
11-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Ps. Ike --I like your Acorn Nut Dish,
and I think I may have found a little biddy worm hole in ithe ptn. :razz:

Lol maybe you did!! I don't know what that is? I think I will try carving it today! I am still working on the light house project. I changed it to a coin bank, but I am still working on a place to remove the coins.

Take a look a and see what you think? I posted the clock project too, please keep in mind they are projects still in the working stage!

Ike

dbfletcher
11-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Oh goodie.. so it is a scavenger hunt too!!!
I wanted to exersize the search funcions a little more anyways!! If I have trouble locating any of them, I'll be sure to let you know

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
11-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Ike,

Nice bank. For getting the coins out I would suggest putting a hole in the bottom and use either a plug or some type of cover..

Clock looks great to...

Kenm810
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Ike Nice Idea,

How about a stepped Vector cut at .08 deep in your I" stock of the center section for a 1" wide slot to retrieve the coins,
Drill a couple holes to secure and align it with Finish Screws before it's cut out. -- Just a thought

Ike
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Ike Nice Idea,

How about a stepped Vector cut at .08 deep in your I" stock of the center section for a 1" wide slot to retrieve the coins,
Drill a couple holes to secure and align it with Finish Screws before it's cut out. -- Just a thought

Great ideal I have been playing around with it combining to a clock/bank! I like your ideal! I will try it with the base too! Feel free to do whatever!

I welcome all help!

Ike

STEAM
11-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Ike
I like the lighthouse clock. It will make a great gift for my sister-in-law. She collects lighthouses. I think what I will do is carve it with their last name around the clock area and also rig an LED in the top. Thanks for the patterns!
:)

Ike
11-14-2009, 03:47 PM
You are welcomed lol I tried my acorn nut dish and cut the board to 13" and yes for the rollers.....LOL it started coming out about 2"!! So I am trying it again with a 20" board!

With the clock pattern I have an area for wires and light. I had the same ideal, I am working on a clock and bank light house! I made the light house in the designer!

Ike

Kenm810
11-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey Ike,
You menchening your Acorn Nut Dish Pattern, made me think of one I did a week or so ago,
We have a few Squerriles around here that have been coming up and raiding and plundering
the bird feeders on our back Deck, it really drive our Mimi-Fox Terriers Crazy.
Have you noticed how aggressive and belligerent they can get this time of year? :???:

Ike
11-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey Ike,
You menchening your Acorn Nut Dish Pattern, made me think of one I did a week or so ago,
We have a few Squerriles around here that have been coming up and raidingand plundering
the bird feeders on our back Deck, it really drive our Mimi-Fox Terriers Crazy.
Have you noticed how aggressive and belligerent they can get this time of year? :???:

Speaking of NUTS this project is driving me nuts! Ok I guess I will try it w/o the rollers plus I reset the depth of the dish. It was too shallow and too small! The dang thing is a little over 7" by 8"!

I miss the squirrels we move from the woods to high desert and yes we still live in the same town! Just up the road you are in the trees, go down the road and you are in the desert! Great mule deer hunting in the desert and black tail in the woods!

Then you farm land and ranches in between! Oh I do have ground squirrels not the same!

Ike

Ike
11-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I did this combo clock bank and one thing it will carve the back first the when you flip it go right to left or left to right, not forward. To make it easy mark a X on the the edge closest to the key pad do that on both side. Then make sure the X is on the key pad side. The same way you would make a double side sign so both sides read the same.

Use the example I loaded take the rotate function and turn it right or left to read the back. Then use the R and see how it flips it backwards. I hope that helps?

In the mean time here is the clock bank combo take a look at it and please feel free to help with anything you see wrong or will not work or what you think would be better.

I have no base for it yet I am trying it out as I type to see the best size when done.

Ok I need to pull it is too deep my carving was working but it went through. It would be fine with a true 1" board mine was a little under 3/4" I will mess with it some more and try again! If anybody tries this use a true 1" board or adjust the settings before carving!!

Ike

Ike
11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I adjusted some settings the coin area wasn't too deep as it was! Together it was 1" not it is 3/4" It was more for a novelty bank. But with the mpc feel free to mess with it to fit your need and make a million of them and sell them all! Just please don't sell the mpc as a project!

Gee if you sold each for $1.00 you would be a millionaire! Hmm that is an idea it seems to be carving pretty quick I left it on normal since there is no real detail. Maybe I will make a bunch and sell them cheap, go for the volume sale!

Ok I am off subject so here is the revised mpc take a look and if you like then enjoy if not well fine! :(

Ike

Woodhacker
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
...Would you be willing to share that MPC???? We have gangs of squirrals here on the property and I think it would be a great carve. Thanx a bunch!!

Ike
11-14-2009, 07:59 PM
...Would you be willing to share that MPC???? We have gangs of squirrals here on the property and I think it would be a great carve. Thanx a bunch!!

That would be great shoot a lot better then my attempt!

Ike

Kenm810
11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Sure no Problem,

and Ike, your patterns have been every bit as good as mine or Better. :wink:

Quote: "We Have gangs of squirrals here on the property" --- their not armed are they??!!

Ike
11-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Sure no Problem,

and Ike, your patterns have been every bit as good as mine or Better. :wink:

Quote: "We Have gangs of squirrals here on the property" --- their not armed are they??!!

Nope I disagree!!! I tried the carving and I don't like it! It might work better using a 1 1/2" board to get a deeper bowl? I like yours it looks better!

Thanks for sharing, I am still trying the lighthouse this time I am using a true 1" board!

Ike

Kenm810
11-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Ike,

Just a little tweak and it's good to go. :wink:

Rick P
11-15-2009, 12:06 AM
ken, Ike,
Can you please explain how the carving process goes for the acorn dish?

Ike
11-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Ike,

See I knew I could do it! Rick you know I haven't tried it yet! As it is I had a different version that was too shallow. I tried under rollers and still not the results I was looking for. So tomorrow or Monday I will try it w/o rollers.

Ike

Woodhacker
11-15-2009, 07:02 AM
--- their not armed are they??!!

...and dangerous. Most of them only carry knives, but I saw one day before yesterday with an Uzi....lol

Kenm810
11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Here we go again,

Made a couple quick left turns,
and we're on to a different subject :razz:

Kenm810
11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Rick,

An easy way to make a Dish or Tray is to draw or find a shape of something you want to try,
it doesn’t have to be a picture or photo, and most any closed line drawing will do.
Fancy isn’t necessarily needed, simple is better that’s why even I can do them. Once you have your Drawing,
you can use it as is or add a little Gaussian Blur from any graphics program you might have
( http://www.getpaint.net/index.html (http://www.getpaint.net/index.html) )is a free one I often use.
The blur smooths and round the erdges for a more professional look and saves a ton of sanding.

Import your drawing into CW Designer and use the Tool Menu to out-line it,
then you can save it as a ptn file. Make the outer out-line a cut path and the inner out-line a Carve Region
-- set your depths and play with it a little to see what Designer can really do.

Here’s one I just thought up that you can pull apart and play around with.

STEAM
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Ken
That is brilliant! I just tried your method and I really like how it gives such better depth control. You are the MAN! :mrgreen:

bjbethke
11-16-2009, 10:29 PM
I guess I should add a dish. One for the Grandkids.

Ike
11-16-2009, 10:35 PM

BJ very nice this has become the bowl dish-lious post!

Ike

dbfletcher
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM

Very nice. I think this one is gonna make it under the x-mas tree for a few nephews and nieces. Thanks!

Doug Fletcher

LollyWood
11-17-2009, 01:33 AM
I've made these for a few holidays. Great party gifts. Ken's ideas for design are way easier then how I learned it. And you great folks have taken it and ran. I LOVE this forum. Esp at Holiday time!!

My simple offering is 11x11x3/4 (Jigged up) Approx 1.45 Hrs carve time. I pedom use walnut for these, but Mike Ts 'Leaf shape" (added to the collection) looked great in maple and red heart. Might try this on also..hmmm.:rolleyes: Anyway, I prob could sell some of these, but the boss has the gift list done, and we know who's list has priority.

If you can use it...Enjoy.

bjbethke
11-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Here is another one for the Grandkids.

Kenm810
11-17-2009, 01:59 PM
If you don't have a Fancy Graphic program,
you can use MS Word to do the Dish or Tray edge lip
and one of the Free Photo Programs to do the Blur,
then save it as a png file and import it into CW Designer --- and have at it! :razz:

gwizpro
11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Ken, I went to upload the Poisetta dish to my card to carve it and it said that the cravings are too deep to carve. I think it means the back. What could I do to correct this.
Super Thanks for your dish's, I have been quitely carving each one.

Kenm810
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks gwizpro,

I changed the mpc's back rim cut form .800 to .700 :wink:

Ps. Also notice that the Project Board is set a 1.00"
you may have to adjust it if your using .75" stock

Ike
11-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Ike,

Ken I found a problem! You use a 1/2" round over bit. The problem is it asks for the bit after carving out the inside. So there isn't any way the bit can round the edge until after the outside is cut out.

So I will try it without the 1/2" round over! I still appreciate your help I welcome all help. I just wanted to let you know what happened!

Ike

Kenm810
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Ike,

In that case, like most, I normally finish the the edge routs on my routing table.
It's much faster and saves time on the cut-motor. :grin:

Ike
11-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi Ike,

In that case, like most, I normally finish the the edge routs on my routing table.
It's much faster and saves time on the cut-motor. :grin:

True that Ken, so you did that to mess with ole' Ike!!! :confused: It would have been fine if it was the last task. But it first asks for the 1/2" then the 1/16th. So it carves the top and inner shallow the asks for the 1/2". Which tries to dig into the edge and begins to burn.

Anyway thanks for the help I need all I can get!

Ike

Kenm810
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
We all know it's coming, --- at least for most of us. :sad:

bjbethke
11-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Another one for the Kids.

Kenm810
11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
A Coloring Book Print, -- that's where I found this one.

You can convert it into a Dish or Plate if you wish. :wink:

Kenm810
11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Here's a Plain Circular Wreath Platter for Christmas Cookies.
the bottom can be flat, or the bottom edges may be tapered,
with a Hand Held Router or on a Router Table. :wink:

ajk
11-20-2009, 06:47 AM
I AM TRYING TO MAKE A VASE FOR THE CENTER OF THE TABLE. I WANT THE CENTER OF IT DEEP . I AM GOING TO MAKE A VASE TO ATTACHED (GLUE) IN THE BACK. kEN YOU ARE THE GURU :confused:PLS GIVE ME YOUR OPINION
HILDA

Kenm810
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi HILDA,

Try this one, to see if it's what your trying to do

Or maybe this one :smile:

Kenm810
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Thought I'd give this one a try :smile:

ajk
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
ken:
thanks for your help
hilda

Kenm810
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
How about some Holiday Bells

LollyWood
11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Go Ken Go.......... :-)

Kenm810
11-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Do ya remember as a kid, getting all ready to go out to play in the Snow. :roll:

Kenm810
11-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Had to fit this guy in somewhere.

c6craig
11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Man these are awesome!!

Only problem for me is the 1" thickness of the boards...did someone find a good run on lumber? My access to rough is still 4/4 so by the time I plane it flat I only have 3/4".

Great job though! They are awesome additions to the holiday season!

Craig

PCW
11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Ken

That's a nice spot for Santa he fits right in. Has the artwork refinishing been slow just like the economy.

Do you and you wife enjoy mid eastern dining. You know the lamb shish kabobs. One thing I do miss being downstate is the culture. Then there was Greek town and little Italy. Mexican village. Miss it all at times.:D:mrgreen::D

Kenm810
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Craig,

I have a good sized stack of finished sanded Oak n' Ash stair treads and risers cut offs 24" to 40" long,
all 1'' thick some are 12" wide, the ones that are 7" I glue up and make 14" wide.
Some guys on a construction site were loading up a pick-up truck to use it fire wood this winter.
I gave them each $20.00 and they load the back of my van half full.
Any of my mpc files that call for 1" can be reduced to .75" pretty easily.

Kenm810
11-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Dan,

Slow down, Not really, it never really follows the economy very close.
I've been off for Quite a while for health reasons and looking forward to getting back at it.
Loads of stuff in storage waiting for me to work on.

We were down in Mexican village, the week before last,
but haven't been to Greek Town or the Eastern Market since early summer.
And a big yes to the lamb shish kabobs and all the fixens that go with it.

gashawk
11-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Another idea on cutting dovetails. Only need the pins. Hopeing to change the size of the grid and use two colors of wood.

c6craig
11-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Craig,

I have a good sized stack of finished sanded Oak n' Ash stair treads and risers cut offs 24" to 40" long,
all 1'' thick some are 12" wide, the ones that are 7" I glue up and make 14" wide.
Some guys on a construction site were loading up a pick-up truck to use it fire wood this winter.
I gave them each $20.00 and they load the back of my van half full.
Any of my mpc files that call for 1" can be reduced to .75" pretty easily.

Wow - That's awesome, good find Ken.

So since I am 1 degree shy of worthless in designer, I either need to get you to sell me some of those finished 1" boards or get someone to do the conversion to 3/4"....any takers? Would be willing to throw a few bucks into somebody's PayPal account or something for the trouble...

Craig

Kenm810
11-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Craig,

Just send me a PM with the names of a couple of mpc files of mine
you need changed and I'll see if I can repost them at 3/4". :smile:

Ps. Or you could just tape your 3/4" stock to a 1/4" carrier board to make it 1"

RayTrek
11-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello to all,

First off would like to say Thanks Ken, You are assume.
And thank you also to every ones project ideas, Lots of fun!

Here is my first project with the new computer, it is all done in designer with the basic patterns supplied with the software, the raster text is (Book Antiqua)
It is a two side carve and may need a little tweaking to make the stand fit together.

Hope you enjoy ~ Ray

dbfletcher
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Hello to all,

First off would like to say Thanks Ken, You are assume.
And thank you also to every ones project ideas, Lots of fun!

Here is my first project with the new computer, it is all done in designer with the basic patterns supplied with the software, the raster text is (Book Antiqua)
It is a two side carve and may need a little tweaking to make the stand fit together.

Hope you enjoy ~ Ray

Very nice Ray!!! Impressive

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Ray,

Very Nice Project,
I've already thought of at least 3 different ways to color and finish it.
You must know, -- I love nearly any kind of assembly required project,
just can't get enough of that --- Tab "A" Goesinto Slot ------------,
Ok where the H*ll is slot "B" --- stuff. :grin:

Thanks for Sharing

SharonB
11-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Ray....how did you know that I just finished up my current batch of signs and was looking for a new project....and along comes your Merry Christmas tree. It is one great project. I surmise you have snow by now that keeps you in your shop more but still I wonder how you find the time to design and still do all your other wonderful projects.

Pratyeka
11-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Very stylised

Kenm810
11-25-2009, 07:24 PM
If you can find oval Wooden Slabs,
you can always carve your own. :wink:

PCW
11-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Ken,

I made a pattern yesterday of a slab and carved it today.

I was kind of worried because I set the depth of the pattern to .740 to capture the full bark affect. I wanted to wait to post the pattern till I carved it to see if I had any problems cutting that deep.

Would you object if I posted the pattern?

William Blankenship
11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
If you can find oval Wooden Slabs,
you can always carve your own. :wink:

Ken,
You wouldn't want to share the pattern for that slab? That is pretty cool.

Bill...

Kenm810
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
No problem at all Dan, love to see it
that what this thread is all about.

Here's Mine Bill,

William Blankenship
11-25-2009, 07:58 PM
N....Here's Mine Bill,

Thanks, Ken!! That is way cool.

Bill...

PCW
11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Ken,

Like I said I made the pattern .740 so you may want to adjust the depth. You can stretch it up/down or left/right to get the look you are after.

Happy Thanks Giving to all.

Also added a smooth version below

Here is some quick idea's
28915 With age rings

Without age rings

Kenm810
11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice Dan I like it,
lots you can do with the basic Pattern! :smile:

Kenm810
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I just Wanted to Try one of these paintings as a Carving.

Kenm810
01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
A Pint Size Fossilized Dragon Bones

Eagle Hollow
01-09-2010, 08:20 AM
A Pint Size Fossilized Dragon Bones

Ken,
I like that pattern a lot. Can you recommend a finish for the background?

Thanks for sharing...I've gotta try this one.

Jerry C

Kenm810
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Jerry,

This is the Color I added to the list of wood colors in CW Designer to see what the finished project would look like.
When I carve the actual project I most often use 3/4” Clear Poplar, after carving and sanding where necessary I spray the whole board with
Kilz white primer that seals the surface and adds the white base color.
Then I mix a thinned down color I want, made with Beige and Light Gray Latex or Acrylic Paints,
We have different grits of sand blasting sand in the shop (most any clean sand will do) that I mix a teaspoon or two
into the color that I’m going to dab on with a foam brush or pad to give the surface texrure.
Finally I give the whole project board a coat of Clear Krylon Mat or Satin spray finish to seal everything in place.

I'm sure you'll fine it kind of fun experimenting with the different color combinations and textures.

fwharris
01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Jerry,

This is the Color I added to the list of wood colors in CW Designer to see what the finished project would look like.
When I carve the actual project I most often use 3/4” Clear Poplar, after carving and sanding where necessary I spray the whole board with
Kilz white primer that seals the surface and adds the white base color.
Then I mix a thinned down color I want, made with Beige and Light Gray Latex or Acrylic Paints,
We have different grits of sand blasting sand in the shop (most any clean sand will do) that I mix a teaspoon or two
into the color that I’m going to dab on with a foam brush or pad to give the surface texrure.
Finally I give the whole project board a coat of Clear Krylon Mat or Satin spray finish to seal everything in place.

I'm sure you'll fine it kind of fun experimenting with the different color combinations and textures.

Ken,

Great finishing tip for the texturing!! I like your idea of different board colors and know you have shared some of these in the past. I bet you have made made a few updates too. I down loaded your old wood sign pattern last night and thought the wood color you had on that was a great!

What is the possibility of you sharing your board colors again???

Kenm810
01-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Yes Sir, Fwharris, I'm always Happy to Share

Been out Blowing Snow, and Catching up on my Honey Do List,
but made a little time to grab a few Wood Grains and Textures to share with you,
and anyone else out there in Carver land that might want to play around with them.

There are a few duplicate files under different names, -- but you'll get the idea.:wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d8525df822550d8207258ee67c679e4a746be00e ba1ef59732ff2c601b65dabd

Thanks for Asking

PCW
01-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Ken,

What a nice collection and thanks for sharing it.

Edit: Ken when I click on the URL the link it brings up my personal files at MediaFire.

fwharris
01-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Ken,

What a nice collection and thanks for sharing it.

Edit: Ken when I click on the URL the link it brings up my personal files at MediaFire.

Ken,

Same here on the link!!

And thanks a bunch!!

Of course they are going to be several questions on how do we get this into designer! I found this post so all can read on how to set them up in the woods folder....http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4422&highlight=wood+colors

Kenm810
01-09-2010, 05:55 PM
The only files I posted on MediaFire are Wood Grains and photos
to make Textured Surfaces in CW Designer that I wanted to Share. :wink:

Have Fun

fwharris
01-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Ken,

thanks for the share..and the time it took to do all of them.

WOW a lot to chose from.. COOL...

Kenm810
01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
That's just a Sample,
Let me know when you ready for more -- :razz:

fwharris
01-09-2010, 06:34 PM
That's just a Sample,
Let me know when you ready for more -- :razz:

It might be a while...:mrgreen:

Do you have all of these loaded into your woods folder???

temler
01-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all of those, that is great.
The more choices the better.
Thanks
Tim

Kenm810
01-09-2010, 08:07 PM
As far as know I could load only 25 or 30 different wood colors at a time into designer before it will start bogging down.
At least that's the way it was on my old Pc's, maybe on my new quad core PC's with Windows 7, We might be able to add a few more.
I haven't thought to try it yet myself, maybe someone else might have some input on that.

eelamb
01-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Here is a web site with wood textures and their names.
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html

Might be interesting to some on here.

hess
01-10-2010, 03:11 AM
I found a neat app for my phone the other day called I wood it shows the sample and give you info like density and all that stuff + has a bf cal in it

Eagle Hollow
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
As usual, Ken, you're the man. We all sincerely appreciate all of your great input. THANK YOU!

Jerry C

Kenm810
01-10-2010, 10:58 AM
If you like,

Here's one of the sites I use for ideas for Wood Grains and Colors,
also Background Textures.
3700GHz and more being add all the time, with loads of categories to look through.

Have Fun Experimenting :cool:
[CG Textures] - The worlds largest free texture site (http://www.cgtextures.com/)
30.000+ high resolution textures, free for personal and commercial use!
Wood (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php%3Ft%3Dbrowse%26q%3D427&ei=xgNKS7OKC4LANd6WgZAJ&sa=X&oi=oneline_sitelinks&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAsQ0gIoAA&usg=AFQjCNEEpvge9azlcuZFt3CGsMlNalQeOw) - Fabric (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php%3Ft%3Dbrowse%26q%3D150&ei=xgNKS7OKC4LANd6WgZAJ&sa=X&oi=oneline_sitelinks&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAwQ0gIoAQ&usg=AFQjCNFK4iETfisQzm3bFWhHuyQ3NRoaLw) - Concrete (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php%3Ft%3Dbrowse%26q%3D355&ei=xgNKS7OKC4LANd6WgZAJ&sa=X&oi=oneline_sitelinks&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=3&ved=0CA0Q0gIoAg&usg=AFQjCNFQVXmY89FeUsCA0MNN6luJFSXb4Q) and More

Kenm810
01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
These will be a couple for my Grand Kid's Play Room. :smile:

ajk
01-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks As Always Dan You Give Awesome Ideas To This Forum.
Hilda

JVallario
01-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Is that 2nd one Who-Ville?

These will be a couple for my Grand Kid's Play Room. :smile:

Kenm810
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi John,

I think your right! --- At least one of it's Northern Suburbs. :wink:

RayTrek
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Ken, I have to say I like all of your project ideas but sometimes you give us one that I really, Really like
Thanks
Ray

bjbethke
01-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Will this work?

bjbethke
01-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Using KENM810's stone background.

Kenm810
01-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice Job on both BJB,

Love the Wood Duck,
We see them in Creek behind our house
a couple of times each year. :grin:

Kenm810
01-25-2010, 06:28 PM
This one would go good on my Desk, -- next to my Pc. :wink:

Kenm810
01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
These are a couple of line print patterns I saw,
and thought they were kind of neat. :smile:

fwharris
01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Saw this saying in a cartoon.

RayTrek
01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Harris, So True,
Ken, Some very nice patterns Thanks,
My brother in-law gave me this tile that they installed in a bathroom, it looked like it would be a nice scan idem for parts in creating patterns, I am betting ken will use some of them or all, It may for some of you help in redesigning them to your likening and learn how some of the features work in designer, Author your own creations based of this one.
Tile Zip, is the PNG file and Tiles(2) is the pattern
Have fun ~ Ray

Kenm810
01-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Ray,

That would be an easy Bet to Win! :razz:

Here's a Plaque and a Frame to start with --- Ideas are flooding into my mind.
Nice job and Thanks for the Files :grin:

Kenm810
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
One for the Kids to Color or Paint

CarverJerry
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Would anyone by chance have a file (mpc/pnt) for an Ice cream cone? I looked but couldn't find anything even close. Want to do something for the grand daughter before summer gets here....thanks

Kenm810
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi Jerrry,

Would Soft Serve with Sprinkles work for you?

Kenm810
02-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Or maybe some of those Pointy Cones :wink:

CarverJerry
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Ken, now how about sending me some summertime weather for these ice cream cones...:D Well being here in Ohio it'll be a while. Thanks again, now I can put something together for her.

Kenm810
02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
6 More Weeks of Winter http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

lawrence
02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
6 More Weeks of Winter http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

I'll take it! (of course I'm in Tucson so 6 more weeks of winter means 6 more weeks of 65-70 degree highs and 55 degree lows..)

Lawrence

Kenm810
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I watched Ol' Punxsutawney Phil come out and look for his shadow "Live"
this morning on my Pc --- he found it --- :sad:
That was just before it started snowing again at 7:00 Am today.
I just went out to scrape the ice off my van's windows for 10 minutes
so I can hit the road this afternoon.
Gotta go down to the City Hall to to pay our 2009 Winter Taxes . --- Winter, bla, bla, bla.

bowfingers
02-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry Ken I couldn’t talk Phil into sunglasses this morning!
Denny:)

Kenm810
02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh Well,

At least they had a nice Fireworks Display :razz:

c6craig
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh Well,

At least they had a nice Fireworks Display :razz:

6 more weeks of winter....that news would be followed by a delicious groundhog BBQ down here in Florida!!! :cool: We don't like the cold!! :)

Craig

wasacop75
02-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Does it matter if its 6 more weeks of winter or 6 more weeks till spring??:confused:

Kenm810
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
CarverJerry,

Here's one that will test your Painting and Finishing skills :wink:

CarverJerry
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Sure will give that a try, that looks really cool. Thanks man

TIMCOSBY
02-05-2010, 02:11 AM
some inspiration for you.

Kenm810
02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
One to Share :wink:

bjbethke
02-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Is it spring yet?

Kenm810
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Do you remember when :cool:

fwharris
02-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Do you remember when :cool:

strangely enough I do remember!! Need to add some paisley patterns!!

Kenm810
02-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Can Do :wink:

Kenm810
02-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Just did a better one :cool:

fwharris
02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
LOL... I knew you would have them...... Matter of fact I re call you doing a couple of them way back when...

fwharris
02-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Got this in an email and could not resist..

bjbethke
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Texas 2010

Kenm810
02-09-2010, 06:25 AM
I haven't tried to carve it yet, but it looked interesting. :cool:

bjbethke
02-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I am working on my wild animal’s folder.

geekviking
02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
nice dragon! Thank you!
(Been working on my "Mythical" directory, this goes GREAT. :cool:

c6craig
02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks BJB, that's going to make a great lid for a dragon box I am working on.

Craig

Kenm810
02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
BJB,

Really Nice Dragon!!
Thanks for Sharing the File and Photos

Kenm810
02-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Nearly Everyone Celebrates Something, Sometime :wink:

will george
02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
THANKY YOU bjbethke!

My granddaughters are from China and they really love Dragons.

I have some expensive Lacewood (real lacewood with vert tight grain). I'm running out of it. The grain holds great detail and the carving should be perfect!

cnsranch
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
will -

Carve this one for them :rolleyes:

Kenm810
02-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Here's one for the Guys out there -- :wink:

Kenm810
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
And one for the Ladies out there -- :cool:

bjbethke
02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the comments, here is another one and it might make a good box top if you are into Dragons.

Kenm810
02-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I liked the Repetitive 2-D appearance of this Pattern :cool:

geekviking
02-13-2010, 10:27 PM
The Dragon and the labyrinth.
Any other "fantasy" type stuff guys, that's not been posted here before?

Kenm810
02-13-2010, 10:52 PM
GV,

Do you Remember the movie

Kenm810
02-14-2010, 12:33 PM
This is a small 10"x10" hand held Ball Bearing Labyrinth Puzzle.
The Goal of this one, is achieved by tilting the puzzle and getting the Ball Bearing
or Marble to the center dot in the shortest amount of time. :wink:

geekviking
02-14-2010, 10:06 PM
GV,

Do you Remember the movie (Labyrinth)

Starred David Bowie, he was a pretty good "Goblin King" :)

Kenm810
02-15-2010, 11:20 AM
GV,

It's Just a raster carving But, Here's another one for you
to play around with from the FF Series. :wink:

bjbethke
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
A new PTN I added to my files.

Kenm810
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Another Flower Pattern to add. :wink:

geekviking
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks, I love 'em both!

Kenm810
02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Another one for the Nordic Series

bjbethke
02-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Making a carving of a drawing with out the carve region.

Kenm810
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Here's one for a few of you Guys to think about, :wink:
A Quilted Maple and Blood Wood Rippled Treat and Candy Dish.

Ps. Hey, Just finished Snow Blowing 8 more Inches of what
the Weather man called scattered flurries this morning. -- :???:

Kenm810
03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Here's one I'd like to carve a couple of for our neighbors daughter,
she expecting a new addition to her family in a few months.

karossii
03-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Wow, the ideas and patterns in this thread are great!

Looking back to some of the 'contest' patterns you guys made... rings and spheres and such... makes me wonder if maybe someone couldn't help me to make something akin to this, somehow?

It is a picture of a kilt pin, so the original item was only about 3" or 4" long, if that; I would love to be able to carve some wooden daggers like this (3D celtic knot pattern) about 8" to 12" long... but all of my attempts in photoshop and blender have resulted in horrible failures!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kenm810
03-13-2010, 11:48 AM
A fun one to add to the Collection, :wink:
it's an easy pattern to play around in Designed

bjbethke
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Ken I like that dish MPC, I saved a MPC without the PTN, It's great for making a set of dishes - just add a new PTN. I hope to have a yard sale this summer to get rid of my stock of lumber. I live on State Highway 14 South in Arkansas, lots of cars go by.

Kenm810
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
BJB,

Great Idea, I do the same thing, and have used some of my existing
mpc files as generic base carvings for new projects. ;)

Once and a while I have to check the projects thickness
cause I do use .75", 1", and 1.25" on different depth Carvings.

bjbethke
03-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Wow, the ideas and patterns in this thread are great!

Looking back to some of the 'contest' patterns you guys made... rings and spheres and such... makes me wonder if maybe someone couldn't help me to make something akin to this, somehow?

It is a picture of a kilt pin, so the original item was only about 3" or 4" long, if that; I would love to be able to carve some wooden daggers like this (3D celtic knot pattern) about 8" to 12" long... but all of my attempts in photoshop and blender have resulted in horrible failures!

Anyone have any suggestions?
This is not like the image you posted, but will it work?

karossii
03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
This is not like the image you posted, but will it work?

That is a really cool pattern, and I would love to do it as well; but I am really hoping for the "3D" celtic knotwork... where you can flip it over and it appears to be one seamless knot on the front/back... So it needs to be symmetrical for what I am hoping to eventually be able to make.

bjbethke
03-14-2010, 01:26 PM
That is a really cool pattern, and I would love to do it as well; but I am really hoping for the "3D" celtic knotwork... where you can flip it over and it appears to be one seamless knot on the front/back... So it needs to be symmetrical for what I am hoping to eventually be able to make.
If you have the scanning probe you should be able to make a good two sided pattern from your 3 inch kilt pin.

karossii
03-14-2010, 04:27 PM
If you have the scanning probe you should be able to make a good two sided pattern from your 3 inch kilt pin.

The problem I would have with that is that all I have is the picture I posted in the forum. I don't actually have that original piece; and the shop that used to sell them doesn't make them anymore... so I can't even buy one to use as a base!

I am trying to use a 3D modeling program to make something similar; but not having much luck...

PCW
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I made 4 clocks for the local area fire departments as donations. Three of the clocks where for the fire houses to hang on the wall and a extra for my home towns fire departments annual fireman ball to use as a fund raiser.

I delivered them on Friday and next day one of the departments wanted six more. I wasn't expecting any orders from the donations because I never offered to make any additional to sell.

So it may pay to donate some of your work to area Fire Departments & Police Departments. Shows your appreciation and as a bonus makes a good business card.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Carvewright/Carvings/AtlantaFD_2.png

robbrigg2
03-14-2010, 05:19 PM
very nice job!

fwharris
03-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Dan,

Great looking clock and I can see why they want more of them.. Way to go!!

Kenm810
03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Nice Job on the Clocks Dan,
The Finish looks Terrific!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

PCW
03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks Guys thats always nice to hear.:D

I did this carving a couple of months ago and wasn't happy with the results so I decided to give it another go. Indian was posted here on the forum a while back and the slab pattern I made and posted here as well.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Carvewright/Carvings/Indian_1.png

gumbo
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I made 4 clocks for the local area fire departments as donations. Three of the clocks where for the fire houses to hang on the wall and a extra for my home towns fire departments annual fireman ball to use as a fund raiser.

I delivered them on Friday and next day one of the departments wanted six more. I wasn't expecting any orders from the donations because I never offered to make any additional to sell.

So it may pay to donate some of your work to area Fire Departments & Police Departments. Shows your appreciation and as a bonus makes a good business card.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Carvewright/Carvings/AtlantaFD_2.png

How thick were the blanks to get the clock workd inside?

PCW
03-14-2010, 06:32 PM
The board depth .75. Here is the mpc file but I can't post the fire department Maltese cross because it is a purchased pattern from the pattern store (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=16592&cat=0&page=4).

Two sided carve and the cutout is set to 3 passes of .250. Back side carves first and you will need V60 bit for numbers as well as the 1/16 carving and 1/8 cutting bits.

gumbo
03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't understand and I am not at my computer so I can't look at the mpc, but if the board is 0.75 and the cut out makes 3 passes @ 0.250 wouldn't it cut through? Or are you using 2 0.75'" pieces and then gluing them together? As far as the cross goes I have already bought it. I need to carve a sign for over a door for a local fire co. and I think they would love this also.

PCW
03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't understand and I am not at my computer so I can't look at the mpc, but if the board is 0.75 and the cut out makes 3 passes @ 0.250 wouldn't it cut through? Or are you using 2 0.75'" pieces and then gluing them together? As far as the cross goes I have already bought it. I need to carve a sign for over a door for a local fire co. and I think they would love this also.

Hi

The cutout I referred to is the circle on the outer edge of the clock.

bjbethke
03-15-2010, 09:09 AM
PCW - I think he is talking about the cut out in the back for the clock movement. You have it set at .4 inch, thats a great looking clock, thanks for posting it.

PCW
03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
PCW - I think he is talking about the cut out in the back for the clock movement. You have it set at .4 inch, thats a great looking clock, thanks for posting it.

BJ,

I have to be the worse person in the world at explaining things. What I was trying to say is the cutout outlined in the picture below. The cutout is setup for a .750 cutout (board thickness) with a .250 max depth setting

mtylerfl
03-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Gumbo,

Yes, it will cut it out (go all the way through for the outer circle perimeter) - that's what it is supposed to do. When you use the Cut Path function in Designer, it will leave little 'tabs' to hold the piece in place. You can specify the number of tabs, the thickness of the tabs, and the depth of each pass (max pass) when using the Cut Path tool. Basic stuff, covered in the Tip & Tricks as well as in your software manual. If you've not used the Cut Path tool, it is really easy to use (and safe).

Also, on a 3/4" thick board, I will specify a max pass depth of 0.3" (not 0.25"). This is to assure that the cut out will be performed in 3 perimeter passes if the board is actually slightly over the 3/4" thickness (which is fairly common). In that case, a 0.25" max pass setting will cause the machine to make four passes to complete the cut out, instead of the intended three passes. It is perfectly fine to allow the machine to cut at the 0.3" depth - no noticeable difference and/or stress on the machine at that setting as compared to a 0.25" pass.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Kenm810
03-15-2010, 04:30 PM
It's been a while so -- :wink:

Just wanted to try my hand at a totally Vector cut carving again,
using only the Spline Tool and my V-60 Groove Bit.

PCW
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
It's been a while so -- :wink:

Just wanted to try my hand at a totally Vector cut carving again,
using only the Spline Tool and my V-60 Groove Bit.

Ken,

That is very cool looking. Did you trace out a photo with spline tool or did you use a vector program to convert it? Nice thing is it's only a 12 min. carve.

Kenm810
03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Yep, Just a CW Designer tracing done with the Spline Tool,
A good Hint -- Don't drink to much Caffeine before you try one,
if your a Shaky Jake like me. :razz:

Capt Bruce
03-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Very nice design on the bird KENM810. My compliments

Icutone2
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Greetings to All!
Have any of you tried to carve a Pine wood car on the Carvewright or CC?
Nieces have a event soon, thought it neat to try it out. Any thoughts would be help full. Thanks
Lee

cnsranch
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Lee -
Take a look here...
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5962&highlight=derby

Icutone2
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks Jerry that will work!
Lee

gumbo
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Gumbo,

Yes, it will cut it out (go all the way through for the outer circle perimeter) - that's what it is supposed to do. When you use the Cut Path function in Designer, it will leave little 'tabs' to hold the piece in place. You can specify the number of tabs, the thickness of the tabs, and the depth of each pass (max pass) when using the Cut Path tool. Basic stuff, covered in the Tip & Tricks as well as in your software manual. If you've not used the Cut Path tool, it is really easy to use (and safe).

Also, on a 3/4" thick board, I will specify a max pass depth of 0.3" (not 0.25"). This is to assure that the cut out will be performed in 3 perimeter passes if the board is actually slightly over the 3/4" thickness (which is fairly common). In that case, a 0.25" max pass setting will cause the machine to make four passes to complete the cut out, instead of the intended three passes. It is perfectly fine to allow the machine to cut at the 0.3" depth - no noticeable difference and/or stress on the machine at that setting as compared to a 0.25" pass.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

I was refering to the back side where the works for the clock goes, I wanted to know how deep he went there, along with the carving on the front I thought that it may cut through.

Any advice on the new designer update I have not instaled it yet and was wondering if all the bugs were worked out yet?

Icutone2
03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Gumbo,
I have made several clocks in the past. I carve out the area for the movement and go a bought .25 deep to keep the movement straight. I use .75 material, the movement stem length is also a factor for the depth of cut. The face is usually only like .25 deep. Clockit sell's alot of different sizes of movements so the depth and size would have to match the size required for said movement. Hope this helps I have yet to carve through the face.
Lee

PCW
03-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I was refering to the back side where the works for the clock goes, I wanted to know how deep he went there, along with the carving on the front I thought that it may cut through.

Any advice on the new designer update I have not instaled it yet and was wondering if all the bugs were worked out yet?

The back pocket of the clock carve is .400 this leaving .350 of material on a 3/4" board and no risk of a cutting through.

If you highlight the pocket and look at the depth it will show you the setting. Also if you hover your mouse over any area in the project and look in the lower left corner of the Designer screen it will show you the XYZ locations.

gumbo
03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I can not open the MPC because I haven't updated to the new version of the software yet. I am waiting to hear that everything has been worked out with it. From the pics the recess looks much deeper than 0.400". Thanks for clearing that up.

PCW
03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I can not open the MPC because I haven't updated to the new version of the software yet. I am waiting to hear that everything has been worked out with it. From the pics the recess looks much deeper than 0.400". Thanks for clearing that up.

It may be the tappers on the sides that give it the deeper look.

Nice thing about this square design is you don't have to worry about which way to flip the board to carve the other side. As many times as I have done this I still screw a project up now and then by flipping it the wrong way. :rolleyes:

Kenm810
03-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I still like doing the Stained Glass style designs for plaques and panels,
even the ones that aren't painted --but only Clear Coated or Stained

Kenm810
03-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Here's a floral pattern from a coloring book page
that one of the Grand kids found. :smile:

FINGERS
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Thank you for all the great patturns that you share with us .

liquidguitars
03-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Ken
this program will allow you to draw if you like 3D objects:

http://www.3d-coat.com/voxel-sculpting/

Kenm810
03-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the site LG,
I'll check into it somemore tonight,
It diffidently looks worth down loading and trying the trial version. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

liquidguitars
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
One thing that stuck out is you can place a image in the background and paint a 3D wash over it making a finished 3D object that you could save out and translate into Designer STL

LG

Kenm810
03-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Another Stained Glass style carving :wink:

Kenm810
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
SpringTime, A Retro-Look Plaque

TIMCOSBY
03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Ken
this program will allow you to draw if you like 3D objects:

http://www.3d-coat.com/voxel-sculpting/

looks interesting. take two photos 20 degrees apart and you get a 3d texture. looks like it might work with 3d coat.

http://www.photosculpt.net/

Kenm810
04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm still trying to get the hang of 2.5-D

lol - At my age - I've got about as much depth perception as a Turnip :razz:

Sky-Line

Kenm810
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Just Playing around in Designer --:wink:

eelamb
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks Ken, dowloaded both. Will have to look close at the skyline mpc. What sofware are you using for the 2.5D?

Kenm810
04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Your Very Welcome,

I used Adobe Illustrator CS3,
The Grayscale shading on the Skyline was just right to give it a 2.5D look. :cool:

eelamb
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Hmmm! Maybe I need to load my Illustrator, and see what it can do. Thanks

Kenm810
04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Just a pattern I ran across Online.

Kenm810
04-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Here's one a little more like-it :wink:

Kenm810
05-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Using Designer as a scratch pad for ideas -----"Eyes of the Monsters"

bjbethke
05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Memorial Day ButteryFly Flag.

Router-Jim
05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
BJ, that is really a clever idea. :cool:

Kenm810
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Neat One BJ,

Looks like a fun carving to Color Dye or Paint. :wink:

eelamb
05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
yes Bj a very nice one, great creativity.

robbrigg2
05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Very neat!

William Blankenship
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm carving a test of this in the next couple of days, enjoy the photos..... If you want the MPC, let me know by giving me a valid email address. This one is only 2.19MB.

Bill...

mtylerfl
06-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Bill, that looks great! About two years ago, I was going to make stuff like that - life happens and I keep forgetting/delaying! Dang, I need to get caught up!

cnsranch
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
What I want to know is where in the heck did you find a copy of my Mother In Law's X-ray?

chebytrk
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
What I want to know is where in the heck did you find a copy of my Mother In Law's X-ray?

You're mother-in-law? She must have had a twin cause it looks like a girl I dated once............. only once! Made me quit drinkin' .... made me stop doin' alot of things! : )

Kenm810
06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Bill,

Super Job on the Fossil Recreation, Nice Photo Lay-out too!!
Thanks for Sharing

William Blankenship
06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys!

Yep, it is a long story and I have to say her bite was worse than her bark...... :)

I also appreciate the use of Ken's Sign Board pattern. Thanks, man!!

Bill....

James RS
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm carving a test of this in the next couple of days, enjoy the photos..... If you want the MPC, let me know by giving me a valid email address. This one is only 2.19MB.

Bill...

Can't wait to see the finished carve

Kenm810
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Just puttsing around with Designer and decided to make up a plaque for Scottish friend
in keeps with the World Cup going on this Month. :cool:

eelamb
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Ken nice work, I grabbed the MPC, I like the background on the plaque. Thanks for sharing.

CarverJerry
06-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I live just minutes from the football hall of fame near Canto Ohio, have anything for that Ken?

CJ

Kenm810
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
How About something like this one :wink:

earlyrider
06-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Here's a couple fossils I've been playing with. Both were scanned with a NextEngine laser scanner.
Dryosaurus was a small Jurassic plant eater, and Dicranurus hamatus is a Devonian trilobite from Oklahoma.
Ron

William Blankenship
06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Just puttsing around with Designer and decided to make up a plaque for

Scottish friend in keeps with the World Cup going on this Month. :cool:

How About something like this one :wink:

Ken, It is such a pleasure viewing your designs. I always get good ideas from them. I really like the star burst effect you made. I may have to borrow that idea if you don't mind. <grin> Thanks for sharing. :-D

Here's a couple fossils I've been playing with. Both were scanned with

a NextEngine laser scanner.
Dryosaurus was a small Jurassic plant eater, and Dicranurus hamatus is a Devonian trilobite

from Oklahoma.
Ron

Ron, those are pretty cool. I wonder if the trilobite could be saved as a 3d STL Model. You could use the STL Importer to slice it up into sections for carving on the CW. I worked with what I could find on the WEB. I found a really nice drawing and several photos of the skull. I used Corel and other software to work this up. It still doesn't look quite right towards the back of the skull. Until I find better references, I'll have to use it for the project I have in mind.

Bill.....

earlyrider
06-22-2010, 09:49 AM
The trilobite is saved as a STL. I had to slice off the top of the cephalon to keep the bulk of it under .75".
Fiddling with a skull in 3D with the STL importer is a real challenge. Accomodating the draft of the bit and using two sided carvings and still being able to assemble the pieces into a recognizable object makes my brain hurt. I wish (in one hand....) this machine had a fourth or fifth axis to simplify (!?) undercuts.
If you need, I can take some photos of the braincase and condyle area of Raptorex or Allosaurus to use as a reference; they are all very similar on the smaller therapods.
Ron

William Blankenship
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Ron,
I know what you mean about the headache trying to make something recognizable. I have spent too many hours trying to make this look like a velociraptor skull. It is close but not there. At best, I can pass this off as an artistic piece and not a reproduction. Yes, If you have the time, I'll take you up on the photos of the back of the therapod skulls. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I think I have your old email address if you would like to have this project when completed. I'll be more than happy to share. I wish I could post it in open forum. It is over the size limit.

Thanks,
Bill....

William Blankenship
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM

This was carved using Best. My joinery wasn't the best. I have a small glue line across the piece. I'm still working on that. Now for some initial Dremel work, then sanding sealer. Three coats of that and I'll start staining and painting.

earlyrider
06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Bill-
Forgot the camera at work, but took some photos of Allosaurus jimmadsoni and Ceratosaurus nasicornis. I'll email or post them tomorrow afternoon.
Another project I'm in the middle of is making reproduction engine parts for a 1910 Buick. Scanned the originals in with the lazer scanner, then cleaned the images up, then made them into foundry patterns. Made rubber molds (2 sided) and wax casts which are now at the foundry to be cast in steel. Whence the castings are in hand, I'll photo all the stages in the process. The best part is with the software, I can accomodate for the shrinkage of both the wax and metal. Here's one of the rocker arms.
Ron