PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck

Wilbur
11-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I am using the 1/2" rock with 1/4" adaptor. I have 420 hr of run time with no problems.

Now I am beginning to see my carving bit cut to deep or not deep enough. Thinking that it is the machine I start to wonder if the repairs made to it was done right.

After by accident, I fine that the bit in the rock had loosened and dropped down causing the, to deep cut.

Thinking that I must have not tighten enough because I have never had to tighten very much, just snug and it worked fine.

Now on a 10 hr carve the same thing happens again, only this time the bit instead of dropping down it was pushed up just enough that it did not carve details in the carve.

Anyone have a clue what might be causing this. One would think that after 420 hr of carving time and many bit changes with out a problem I would have the hang of installing a bit.

Thanks
Wilbur

chebytrk
11-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I had something very similar to that happen to me when carving my POM Autumn Leaf projects. I've decided that I'm going to put the plastic bit "stopper" rings back on to my bits. This way they will always go back in to the adapter at the exact same location... not too deep and not deep enough.

rjustice
11-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi Wilbur,
The first thing that comes to mind with you using the 1/4" sleeve, is that you are clamping in the slit of the sleeve, therefore not exerting pressure on the right spot to compress the sleeve to the bit.

Please verify that the slit in the sleeve is pointed towards the hex in the clamp screw (where you insert the "T" handle wrench to tighten the bit)... It needs to look like this picture.

If it ran for a long time slipping, it is possible that it could have wore the inside of the sleeve out, and you may need to replace the sleeve.
If you would like to return the bit adapter, sleeve, and your tool assembled, i will gladly evaluate it and let you know what i find.

Thanks,

Ron

Wilbur
11-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks Ron for the reply.
I checked the slit in the sleeve, it is pointed towards the hex in the clamp screw.
I did another carve after putting more pressure on the sleeve.
I got a good carve.
I just don't know how this happened. I have tighten the same way times with out a problem.

Wilbur

liquidguitars
11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Wilbur,

Tighten down the screw with more pressure than you think you need.
also i added blue locktight on all the threads of the Rock to be safe "top and bottom".

One more thing, check you z truck bearings for dirt, I cut cedar at times and it clogs them up giving me the same error.

LG