PDA

View Full Version : New machine and low head pressure

jgowrie
11-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Hello,

Today I find myself somewhat disappointed and concerned but I'm going to keep a positive attitude because I have faith I made the right decision to buy the carvewright machine.

When I performed the head pressure test it only came up to about 55-60 lbs but it was cold ( about 40F ) and through some searching I found this could be an issue. Today, I placed an electric heater with a blower directly in front of the machine and let it run all day with no better results. So, I followed the instructions in the manual and wiped down the 4 guide posts and the 2 head screws and then re-lubricated with 3in1 brand white lithium grease. Still nothing better than 70 lbs of pressure was registered but generally I got 58-60lbs and only got the 70lb reading once.

Any thoughts on what else I can try? I haven't even plugged the machine in yet :roll:

This is a little off topic but I had a thought that maybe LHR should include the needed lubrications to cover the first service. I've been having difficulty locating the chain lube w/ moly and for the price of the machine, it wouldn't break the bank to hand out an ounce of each to new customers along with the machine

jgowrie
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Well I just found a PDF with additional info that is not in the owners manual.. why I have no idea as it seems like every owner, especially the news one should have all the needed instructions about the machine presented to them. Anyway I guess I will need to check the corner posts for alignment issues which shipping could have affected.

I'm getting a bad feeling that I might need to spend a week reading all the little bits of info scattered around the website to make sure I've got all the needed info. Would be nice it this was all laid out nicely for the newbies in the owners manual but.. Oh wait - positive attitude :) Well, off to the garage after my Philly Cheese-steak !

dbfletcher
11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Hello,

Today I find myself somewhat disappointed and concerned but I'm going to keep a positive attitude because I have faith I made the right decision to buy the carvewright machine.

When I performed the head pressure test it only came up to about 55-60 lbs but it was cold ( about 40F ) and through some searching I found this could be an issue. Today, I placed an electric heater with a blower directly in front of the machine and let it run all day with no better results. So, I followed the instructions in the manual and wiped down the 4 guide posts and the 2 head screws and then re-lubricated with 3in1 brand white lithium grease. Still nothing better than 70 lbs of pressure was registered but generally I got 58-60lbs and only got the 70lb reading once.

Any thoughts on what else I can try? I haven't even plugged the machine in yet :roll:

This is a little off topic but I had a thought that maybe LHR should include the needed lubrications to cover the first service. I've been having difficulty locating the chain lube w/ moly and for the price of the machine, it wouldn't break the bank to hand out an ounce of each to new customers along with the machine

Even better would be if they just made sure things were lubricated before they left the factory! And the one can of Industrial Chain Lube with Moly will probably last a lifetime.

Doug Fletcher

jgowrie
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Ok. I've got the bottome off my machine and the tie rod between the head screws didn't have any play. The PDF manual says to call for further instructions. I did notice a screw and washer holding the tie rod in place. Slighlty loosen these screws seemed to free it up enough to allow side to side movement. Very slight but it's there.

Is this the adjustment they would instructed me to perform

ps. If any knowledgeable folks are online today I'll be posting here as I progress along so maybe you can keep checking?

John

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Measure the head level too, it could be off slightly. Using sensor data and a bit in the machine lowered on a board is the easy way. Just touch 3 places in a wide board.

This machine is something to master.... Once you master it, you will have a more positive attitude.

AL

jgowrie
11-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Al. Thanks for responding. It's great to know you're online.

Well the guide rod adjustment is done and I am getting head pressure readings of 72-74 lbs. I've seen mention that anything close to 60 lbs is a problem. Am I in what's considered an acceptAble range. The manual is asking for more pressure than I'm reading.

I haven't gotten any Further yet. The head pressure you spoke of, is that something that is described in the owners manual or is that another PDF I need to download?

c6craig
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
jgowrie-

I'm sure you read this in the manual, but being that close to the recommended 80-85lbs, are you giving it the full 3-5 ratchet clicks when you crank it down? If you are only clicking once you probably can increase the pressure with a few more...

Craig

jgowrie
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
jgowrie-

I'm sure you read this in the manual, but being that close to the recommended 80-85lbs, are you giving it the full 3-5 ratchet clicks when you crank it down? If you are only clicking once you probably can increase the pressure with a few more...

Craig

Craig,

yeah, going at least 3-5 clicks past and still getting nothing better than 75lbs. I just re-lubed the parts. I guess I may have to wait another day when LHR reps are available. A little frustrated that a pricey machine like this is so tempermental out of the box.

Hmm. Ok as I typed this I was leaning over the machine and gave the handle another crank and I've got the head pressure up to 85. Seeing that with a little pressure applied to the top of the machine gets it where it needs to be any thoughts? Is it possible to over lube the head screws or guide rails? Maybe a little more lube, or less?

The one thing I didn't get a reply on is the tie rod between the two head screws. The screws with washers on either side of the tie rod seemed to make the side to side movement adjustment. Could it be a matter adjusting for a little more or little less movement. The PDF is a little vague on ow much I need. It says every machine will be a little different ;)

too bad we don't make things like this in this country anymore. Sigh.

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
When cranking the handle we expect that the clicks happen when the resistance of the head is pressing on the board. What can happen is the threaded rod and the internal threads get dry and provide some drag and add the pressure to the board and add the drag of the threaded screw and the end result is less pressure on the board. So the trick is to lube the screw threads to cut the drag, I use chain lube...

Then the pressure on the board will be more true....

I listen to the board when moving the board to measure the length... When it is HUMID I find I need to back off slightly on the head pressure slightly to let the machine run smooth moving the board. If you hear uneven speed and the motor is fighting the board it could be TOO Tight.... Loosen it slightly.... That is what I do...

Good Luck....

I am cutting 3 $65.00 signs today... You can make money with this machine.... I now send out a email with 20 fonts and let them pick... So far Ike's Favorite.... Monotype Cursive is the most selected font... Thanks Ike.

AL

jgowrie
11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
When cranking the handle we expect that the clicks happen when the resistance of the head is pressing on the board. What can happen is the threaded rod and the internal threads get dry and provide some drag and add the pressure to the board and add the drag of the threaded screw and the end result is less pressure on the board. So the trick is to lube the screw threads to cut the drag, I use chain lube...

Then the pressure on the board will be more true....

I listen to the board when moving the board to measure the length... When it is HUMID I find I need to back off slightly on the head pressure slightly to let the machine run smooth moving the board. If you hear uneven speed and the motor is fighting the board it could be TOO Tight.... Loosen it slightly.... That is what I do...

Good Luck....

AL

Hi Al,

I am using the lithium grease as recommended in the manual. I assume the area you are referring to with added drag is the portion of the head assembly that the vertical head screws are
passing through? I can visibly see the grease on the threads so I'm assuming it's enough.

For now, if I place 15lbs of weight on top of the machine I get 85lbs of head pressure. Hopefully there is an easy fix to this that LHR will helpe figure out
tomorow

thanks
John

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Lithium grease is EXCELLENT..... In fact better than Chain Lube.....

I like the 15 pound trick...

I just shook my Chain Lube can to see how full it was... down to 1/4 in 3 years....

Good Job,

AL

jgowrie
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the help.

Well, the machine is plugged in and I just measured a board to test out the on board menu. Just came back in and I'm going to load up a simple pattern and let her rip! Now, I'm getting excited

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Good Luck !!!! It is easy to get excited about the machine....

Just making Xmas Ornaments you could make a bit of money.... I push the raw wood ornaments to Mom's.... Build Xmas Memories with the kids painting or using a marker to create a keepsake...

:DAL

Ike
11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Ok Al I know you told me how to do this before, but I am a slow learner! I checked my ne CC and the pressure is low. I cleaned and lubed both machines and got the CW working with 76 pounds of pressure. I have not checked the level because I really don't know what screw to loosen?

I did use two 4 foot levels and lowered the head until the rollers touched and on one point there was daylight. I was using the level to set the out feed tables and thought I wonder if it will show if the head is level? From it I know it is not, it was about a 1/16th or so off on the CC and a slight more on the other.

So how do you level it again? Or is it in the manual and I am missing it?

Ike

Kenm810
11-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Ike,

I never had to use it myself, but maybe this PDF might help>
Leveling the Head (http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf) (PDF)

Ike
11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey Ike,

I never had to use it myself, but maybe this PDF might help>
Leveling the Head (http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf) (PDF)

Thank you Ken now I am having computer problems. The darn thing keeps shutting down and starting. Maybe I need a Mac?

Ike

Kenm810
11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif -- Been there, Done that, and came back to the PCs,
2 Deck Tops, and a Lap-Top, all 3 PCs with CW Designer on each. :wink:

Ike
11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif -- Been there, Done that, and came back to the PCs,
2 Deck Tops, and a Lap-Top, all 3 PCs with CW Designer on each. :wink:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't tell me that I can't afford a new laptop!!!

Lol my new laptop is sitting in the shop as a CC!

Ike

jgowrie
11-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Good Luck !!!! It is easy to get excited about the machine....

Just making Xmas Ornaments you could make a bit of money.... I push the raw wood ornaments to Mom's.... Build Xmas Memories with the kids painting or using a marker to create a keepsake...

:DAL

I completed my first piece testing out a graphic a customer wants engraved on a set of cabinet doors. I ran the test on a scrap of birch plywood
and I'm very happy with the results. I have a pic on my phone which I'll upload once the Giants beat SD !