PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of STL importer, but...

djarboe
11-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I design my projects with a solid modeling program, which can save files as an STL file. I'm curious to see if I can take this STL file, import it, and then add pattern (leaves, vines, whatever) to the contoured surfaces I created in my solid modeling.

Would one of you brave souls be willing to take this on? I have attached a zipped STL file of a simple surface.

PCW
11-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes it can be done.

PCW
11-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I design my projects with a solid modeling program, which can save files as an STL file. I'm curious to see if I can take this STL file, import it, and then add pattern (leaves, vines, whatever) to the contoured surfaces I created in my solid modeling.

Would one of you brave souls be willing to take this on? I have attached a zipped STL file of a simple surface.

Let me clear myself up a little. I do not have the SLT importer but instead ran the file in 4 separate programs to end up with a png file which I opened up in pattern editor.

If you had the STL importer you could save all the steps outlined that is if you had all the programs to convert the file in the first place. It can be done without the importer however it is alot easyier with. :mrgreen:

Chief38
11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Here is a mpc of a jug made from STL file imported sliced and with text & pattern added.

djarboe
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Let me clear myself up a little. I do not have the SLT importer but instead ran the file in 4 separate programs to end up with a png file which I opened up in pattern editor.

If you had the STL importer you could save all the steps outlined that is if you had all the programs to convert the file in the first place. It can be done without the importer however it is alot easyier with. :mrgreen:

Quite impressive. I wonder if the STL importer could do as well.

djarboe
11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Here is a mpc of a jug made from STL file imported sliced and with text & pattern added.

Looks like it works, but I could not open the mpc file, since I am still using V1.3X. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest and then take a look at it.

Were you able to just place patterns on the piece like normal? Do they follow the surface contour? Couldn't really tell from the image file.

PCW
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Quite impressive. I wonder if the STL importer could do as well.

I don't understand why it shouldn't. Maybe one of the other members that has the importer will verify your file will work OK and does the things you need it to.

Chief38
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Looks like it works, but I could not open the mpc file, since I am still using V1.3X. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest and then take a look at it.

Were you able to just place patterns on the piece like normal? Do they follow the surface contour? Couldn't really tell from the image file.

Normal operation for adding text & pattern with addative merge.

seabass
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I want STL importer, maybe if they have a sale I could get it.

Christmas sale Please!!

STEAM
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I want STL importer, maybe if they have a sale I could get it.

Christmas sale Please!!

Same goes for me. I told my wife that's what I wanted for Christmas. I guess I will have to wait and see.

mtylerfl
11-09-2009, 08:56 AM

Very nice! It did remind me of something to watch out for when creating your STL files though...

Notice that the curved surfaces of the jug are not smooth, but are composed of flat facets. This is usually not desirable, and would require a lot of hand-work (sanding) to smooth out the flat surfaces to form a nice smooth flowing curve.

This is an issue caused by either saving the model triangulation (STL) at too low of a resolution setting or the model itself was not made at a high enough resolution to begin with. I have found that saving the triangulation down to a detail level of 0.00001" will produce extremely accurate representations of smooth, curved surfaces. The STL file can be HUGE at that fine resolution, depending upon the model size, but you can simply delete the STL after conversion to a pattern. You can always regenerate the STL later, if needed.

If the model itself is faceted before STL conversion, then the save resolution will look the same (with facets instead of smooth surfaces). The solution there, of course, is to raise the modeling resolution before saving to a high-res STL.

Many free STL files floating around are indeed modeled at lower resolutions intentionally, because a lot of them are designed for use in animated applications such as video games, etc. The low-res are often required for those types of applications.

Unfortunately, those type of low-res models are not ideally suitable for carving and need to be "cleaned up" in some fashion. Programs such as Aspire and ArtCAM can import the STL's and have sculpting tools that you can use to smooth out the facets...or, if you own a 3D modeling program, you may be able to import the STL and bump up the res of the model to get rid of the faceted surfaces before re-saving at the higher res.

Hope that helps!

hogiewan
11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
The STL importer leaves you with a pattern. Designer can add (or subtract) patterns that are placed on top of each other.

liquidguitars
11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I imported the file with good old Lightwave 3D and it perfectamondo.

Chief38,

Regarding MT idea of using a 5000.00 ?? program to smooth your 3D jug is thought, but most real 3D programs will do it for a fraction of the cost. :) :mrgreen:

Many free STL files floating around are indeed modeled at lower resolutions intentionally, because a lot of them are designed for use in animated applications such as video games

NOTE: STL formats are not used much in video games at all, STL is a rapid prototyping format for designers. Video engine models tend to require quads and are subdivided in real time.

Regarding STL:

The 3D model needs to be solid or water tight to be a "STL" all other non watertight model construction is Non STL. However LHR STL loader will process non STL 3D object but you could not use them in a rapid protypeing machine. :) so STL is a way of modeling in 3D not a saving format only.

fun with STL (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.georgehart.com/rp/t120stl1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.georgehart.com/rp/rp.html&usg=__A2w6adwkM0LCYH1h8lj0F_ILvVE=&h=382&w=377&sz=44&hl=en&start=67&um=1&tbnid=sZTkycZnJPC2yM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSTL%2Bmachines%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den% 26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu%26rlz%3D1I7GPEA_en%26sa%3DN%26start%3D 54%26um%3D1)

LG

mtylerfl
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
True, the final STL is converted to some other applicable format for use with video games, etc. I could have mentioned that, but not particularly important. The main thing is for carving, use whatever means you have handy to smooth out low-res models so they will carve well.;)

liquidguitars
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Check out "Catmull Clark" his smoothing algorithm used by most 3D software packages today, I been lucky to be one of the first testers over 10 years ago..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull%E2%80%93Clark_subdivision_surface

LG

mtylerfl
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
The LHR's pattern editor that comes with the scanning probe is a pretty powerful tool for the money.

Very true - great value and becoming more powerful with each new release!

Regarding your screenshot example...Was that an STL you found and then used the PE to clean it up?...or was it already high-res STL that didn't need any faceting removed? (or, was it not an STL at all?)

preetrar73
11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I know man, I was thinking about doing the tank as SW but the cost is just too much. So Im 99.99999 sure Im going to do the rays. I just need to find some for a good price.

PCW
11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Mike, I'm not quite sure which screenshot you are referring to but just in case the screenshot in post #2 is from the original STL that djarboe provided.

Very true - great value and becoming more powerful with each new release!

Regarding your screenshot example...Was that an STL you found and then used the PE to clean it up?...or was it already high-res STL that didn't need any faceting removed? (or, was it not an STL at all?)