PDA

View Full Version : Dados & Rabbits

cajunpen
05-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I am trying to build a pen chest and want to put a 1/4x1/4 dado on the lower part of the front & back (to accept the box's bottom). I also need to put a 3/4" x 3/8" deep rabbit on either side to accept the end panels. How do I do that? I only have the bits that came with the machine, but plan on ordering some more this week. I think I have the dado figured out, but for some reason I can't get the rabbit wide enough. Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

Dan-Woodman
05-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Bill
The second line down on your carving list on the back, is off the project .What is that for ?
After playing with the software a little more, I guess it wouldn't work to select a carve region for your dado's because you can't chose the bit on that. You just have to select a line. It looks like ,if you select a rectangle and then the 1/8" bit that it just cuts around the outside of the rectangle instead of all of it .

cajunpen
05-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi Dan - The second line was an oops, I fixed it. I tried the rectangle idea the other day and found out what you did, it only carves the line area and does not clean out. Right now I'm playing around with just laying out lines to the correct There must be an easier way - Hey Chris or Britt, you guys have any ideas??????

It's funny, while I was waiting for my machine to arrive and reading the posts I kept seeing people refer to the "learning curve" and remebered thinking, how much curve can there be in putting a piece of wood in a machine??? Boy , did I miss on that one - This dummy has learned that the "learning curve" was the Software - not the machine :shock: I really do appreciate the help.

Bill

cmorlier
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Bill,

Looks like you were on the right track. Currently, the best way to do this is with lines or rectangles combined to clear out the area you want to clear. We don't have any tools to automate this yet.

You could also try to apply a square bit around the edges of a carved region, but I am not sure that this would be any faster.

I've attached your piece, with my modifiactions. Rectangles carve more efficiently, so I did both the rabbet and dado with rectangles. The critical parts are to remember that the rectangles are at the center of the bits, and offset accordingly. I also recommend that you experiment with undersizing the slots to allow for any runout in the bit.

cajunpen
05-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks Chris, I will give it a try. I've also been experimenting with designing a few clocks. I need to carve out a recess on the back for the clock works, about a 2 1/8" square. I tried creating a Region and set my depth to the appropriate depth - appears to work, but I have to put it to the test in the near future.

I really can't wait to get past this learing curve :(

Dan-Woodman
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Bill
One thing I did on my clock (picture in gallery) in the software I drilled a hole thru the front where the stem of the clock was going to be then turned the board over and added the recess for the works around the hole. I didn't use the 1/8" bit to drill the hole though sice its drilling oval holes.