PDA

View Full Version : top cover replacement

skeeterman
11-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Has anyone had to purchase a new top with cover for their machine, if so how much was the price from LHR, sure wish they had price list.
Dont want to call and ask, not sure if that would be a $25 charge for calling
thanks steve

tr0086
11-07-2009, 07:05 AM
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=133.217540

seabass
11-07-2009, 07:23 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvewright-Compucarve-Top-Cover-Front-Cover_W0QQitemZ280419368932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item414a4bffe4

skeeterman
11-07-2009, 07:53 AM
thanks fellow carvers,
steve

hess
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvewright-Compucarve-Top-Cover-Front-Cover_W0QQitemZ280419368932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item414a4bffe4

FYI this guy has many unit parts and whole he says his parts while be about 40 less than CW

He has just about anything we could want even units

c6craig
11-08-2009, 06:21 AM
50 bucks isnt bad for the front cover. Maybe one of the dust collecter guys could pick up a few and sell ready to swap kits for those of us that don't want to cut into their machines....hint hint fwharris....:)

Craig

hess
11-08-2009, 08:59 AM
50 bucks isnt bad for the front cover. Maybe one of the dust collecter guys could pick up a few and sell ready to swap kits for those of us that don't want to cut into their machines....hint hint fwharris....:)

Craig
looks like the whole top not just the door

c6craig
11-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I don't know hard it is just to replace the window itself. I looked at his other auctions and didn't see a window without the cover. Still, 50 bucks isnt bad for a pop the top and replace solution.

Craig

fwharris
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM

Craig

Nice thought Craig and thanks for the hint:D! But I think I will stay out of that market, for the time being unless everyone really sees that as an added value to the insert. My thinking right now is I have too many other things going on and do not get to do some of the things I want to do.

I did see on the Sear's PartsDirect site they do sell just the door for around $37.00.

Plus I do not think LHR really has an issue to the modification to the door as long as it does not interfere or modify any of the built in safety features.

fwharris
11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I don't know hard it is just to replace the window itself. I looked at his other auctions and didn't see a window without the cover. Still, 50 bucks isnt bad for a pop the top and replace solution.

Craig

The cover does not include the switches and wiring.

skeeterman
11-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I decided to not use a cover for this machine, i taped the switches closed and crafted a clear 10 mm vinyl sheet over the opening that i can fold over when i need to change bits.
works great for me and saved some bucks
steve

Shacky
11-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Is replacing the cover pretty easy?

I cut mine to use the dust insert and am thinking of picking up a replacement in case I have a Sears warranty call I can put it back to OEM in case some jerky serviceman feels like giving me a hard time.

fwharris
11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Is replacing the cover pretty easy?

I cut mine to use the dust insert and am thinking of picking up a replacement in case I have a Sears warranty call I can put it back to OEM in case some jerky serviceman feels like giving me a hard time.

From looking at the diagram, 2 screws and a hinge pin retainer on each side. I am not sure if the hinge pin is attached to the door or loose. Should be a fairly easy job.

I would think you would need to pay attention to how the door tabs line up with the 2 switches.

Chief38
11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
so be careful you don't lose them.

AskBud
11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Here is a portion of my PDF on the CW-Vacuum Head. It covers the cover.
Quote:
In this view, (on the Left), we see the front of the unit.
The Violet outline shows where the Cover Hinge Assembly resides (there is a hinge on both the Right & Left of the cover).

Step # 6
The Hinge Assembly is maintained by a small piece of T-shaped plastic and a metal pin as seen in the RED box above. We will remove the “T Plastic” on the Keyboard side as it is easier to access. You will need a small Phillips screwdriver.

Once that is removed, gently lower that side of the cover out of the slot that guides/keeps it in place, and remove the cover from the unit. Remove the 2 metal pins and store them, as they tend to fall out and may get lost.

Step # 7
We are now ready to saw the cover. I found the best tool was/is my Band-Saw as it has a small, fine toothed, blade that moves in only one direction. I first cut off the bottom lip of the cover (shown by the BLUE line). I placed the cover on it’s outer face so that it maintained full contact with the saw table. I then masked out the RED box, so that the top was 3” from the top cover edge and I used the “Warning” label as my outer cut lines.
I cut both upright lines first and then finish with several cuts to clear the top line. File or sand the raw edges and this is complete.
END QUOTE

Here is the notice I place with the machine as I send it to Sear's Repair
(it has never been questioned):
QUOTE:
NOTE:
The “Cover” is not a problem. It is a development modification for a Dust Collector. Those of us on the Forum are developing a way to vacuum the dust so we eliminate dust & chips as a source of trouble.
My Dust collector is now sold on the CarveWright site.
AskBud